Latest Bama News 10/17/2016 Thru 10/23/2016

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama
The perfect head coaching job for Alabama's Lane Kiffin | FOX Sports/rbr
But make no mistake, he’s going to get another head coaching job, likely after this season. Alabama keeps winning, and CBS keeps showing him on the sideline. His ability to getJalen Hurts playing at such a high level as a true freshman becomes another line on his resume. It’s not going to be anywhere near as glamorous as Alabama, but I can think of one possibility for sure. Fresno State, his alma mater, is 1-6 and all but certain to fire Tim DeRuyter. It would be the perfect low-profile job at a program where he can win, further restore his image and possibly springboard back to the Pac-12 in a few more years.
rbr opThis is something we've been saying for months, and it makes too much sense to not happen. Coach Kiffin can be closer to his kids, out west, restore his alma mater, and instantly regain his credibility as a head coach. (And, yes, in my dream scenario, come back a bit older, wiser, and a better program manager to take over following Nick Saban's departure...as long as he promises he'll hire a "run the damn ball" coach to curb his excesses in the passing game.)

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Gary Danielson: Where Texas A&M is the most vulnerable at Alabama - CBSSports.com/rbr
"I think too many people get caught up into how to finesse or how to maneuver Alabama out of the way in order to beat them," Danielson said. "When has Alabama beat themselves? Once? Against Ole Miss? Yes, having a mobile quarterback is OK if you have anything else. It's the icing on the cake. Tennessee showed it last week with Josh Dobbs, icing without any cake is just icing in a bowl, and you're not going to beat Alabama with icing in a bowl. To me, the only way to beat Alabama is to stand there man-to-man and be just as physical as they are."
rbr opNo, Gary, the key isn't to be as physical as Alabama. There have been teams that have been as physical and have gotten swamped. The key is to hold up at the point of attack, make vertical plays, force turnovers, win the special teams battle, and take advantage of as many Alabama miscues as possible -- small or large. Every Alabama loss since 2007 has featured pass completions of 29 yards or greater. Every. Single. One. And, I don't believe Texas A&M can play that long con with this pass rush for sixty minutes.

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Heisman Watch: Alabama football's Jalen Hurts rises | SI.com/rbr
It's clear Hurts is still developing as a passer. He followed an encouraging, 253-yard, two-touchdown effort against Arkansas by connecting on only 16 passes at 5.5 yards per attempt in Alabama's 39-point win over Tennessee this weekend. But even if Hurts's unreliable arm limits what offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin can draw up in the passing game, Kiffin has weaponized Hurts as a spread-option runner to devastating effect. Hurts totaled 132 yards on 11.0 yards per carry against the Volunteers, and he didn't give off the impression that it was all that difficult for him.
rbr opLet's not, people. Let's not. I'd much rather see Hurts get his basic reads and progressions (and get the whole playbook) down before we start tabbing him a Heisman hopeful. His ceiling is unreal, but right now he's still closer to his starting floor than what the finished product will be in a year or two (even if that floor is better than all but two or three other QBs in the SEC.) More impressively, even with those caveats aside, he's been spectacular, collected, a very good leader, and undefeated.

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
What Nick Saban said on SEC coaches teleconference/rbr
"This is one of those season-defining games for us. We’ve had a pretty tough stretch here, and this is obviously one of the best teams in the country, I think, in terms of their skill players on offense. They’ve got some really dominant defensive players and the quarterback’s playing really well for them. They’ve got a great runner. We’re full of challenges for this week in terms of what we have to do to have success against a very good team."
rbr opSo many reporters wanted to make this about Alabama's loss to the Aggies in 2012 or the 2014 Sugar Bowl, but it is clear that Saban's focus has been on Knight's play in this system and the Aggies as constituted this year. He particularly singled out Myles Garrett for praise, and has mentioned Ford in the running game. He also brings up the excellent return game the Aggies have. Last year, Kirk burned the Tide for a punt return TD that breathed life into the Ags, and, after the first half against Tennessee's lethal return men last week, you can bet that was an area of emphasis this week.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.