Offensive game plan vs Texas A&M

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I do expect them to sell out to the run and they've got a few more bodies than UT at this juncture. They really want to create 3rd and long then let their two DEs go to town. I think 1st down passing off the play action would not be a bad idea.
That is exactly what they will try to do - put more people in the box than you can block. The problem - Alabama's current running game attacks the edge, so putting people in the box doesn't help with that. Also, the RB becomes an additional blocker when the QB keeps the ball.

If they load the box, you will attack the edges. If they spread out, you will attack the middle in the run and pass game. Only if they can stop both of those things does Hurts have to win the game with his arm. They haven't been able to stop any of those things this year against less capable offenses. I like your chances.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Yeah, load the box and watch those jet sweeps kill you.

Chavis has forgotten more about defense than I'll ever know, but wrapping my head around having to defend six players on every snap - each of which are literally TD threats every time they touch the ball - is mind-scrambling.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
They're not going to win this game without their offense having a good day at the office. So that is my primary worry honestly. The defense would just be the difference maker in them winning or losing with a good day on offense. Their strong suit defensively meshes well with "just make a few plays to help out a decent offensive performance against a great defense" need for them this weekend. Very similar to 2012, Manziel may have had a coming out party that won him the Heisman but TAMU really won that game because their mediocre to poor defense made some key stops with turnovers.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I would expect more of this:

Alabama zone read rushing yards:1st six games- 219Tennessee-354

Bama had 14 rushes where no contact was made until at 10 yards downfield vs UT. Tied for most in a game by a Power 5 team the last 5 years.

Alabama gained 354 yards on zone-read runs against Tennessee, the most by any Power 5 team in the last five seasons per @ESPNStatsInfo

Cole Cubelic (@colecubelic) | Twitter

Do this and play-action pass is a TD anytime they wish.
:biggrin:

Last edited:

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
That is exactly what they will try to do - put more people in the box than you can block. The problem - Alabama's current running game attacks the edge, so putting people in the box doesn't help with that. Also, the RB becomes an additional blocker when the QB keeps the ball.

If they load the box, you will attack the edges. If they spread out, you will attack the middle in the run and pass game. Only if they can stop both of those things does Hurts have to win the game with his arm. They haven't been able to stop any of those things this year against less capable offenses. I like your chances.
You're right, and the more I think about the things you pointed out the more impressed I am with Lane Kiffin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
They're not going to win this game without their offense having a good day at the office. So that is my primary worry honestly. The defense would just be the difference maker in them winning or losing with a good day on offense. Their strong suit defensively meshes well with "just make a few plays to help out a decent offensive performance against a great defense" need for them this weekend. Very similar to 2012, Manziel may have had a coming out party that won him the Heisman but TAMU really won that game because their mediocre to poor defense made some key stops with turnovers.
I agree with this. I think they'd like this to turn into a track meet last one with the ball wins kind of game. Just not sure that is realistic the way our defense has been playing. I'm in the group that says that Texas A&M cannot beat us, but Alabama sure can. Ball security, sustained drives, get off the field on third down should do the job.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I agree with this. I think they'd like this to turn into a track meet last one with the ball wins kind of game. Just not sure that is realistic the way our defense has been playing. I'm in the group that says that Texas A&M cannot beat us, but Alabama sure can. Ball security, sustained drives, get off the field on third down should do the job.
And all God's people said,"AMEN!!!"

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Reason why I think TAMU will struggle for most part on Saturday:
-They really don't sustain long drives, controlling the Time of Possession game well. I think they thrive on creating turnovers and scoring fast.
-I expect TAMU to do whatever it takes to stop the run inside, and something tells me We will see lot of misdirection plays.
-We know Knight will be forced to throw more than he can run. Our Defense will make sure he doesn't take off and run. Take away their run game and we'll see what they can do. I'm tired of people bringing up the game where he beat us. There was several factors in that game that cost us win: AJ's interceptions, fumbles by our rbs, secondary not playing well and our DL was slow all night.
- I'm very curious to see how TAMU respond on 3rd down situations.
-I'm very curious to see how their secondary will play us, and I'm hoping there is an opportunity for us to throw few deep balls down the field.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.