Jalen Hurts - Legit Heisman candidate?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

He's going to have to have a 300+ yard passing and 75+ rushing game to really make a splash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
That puts things in perspective for me. Though he has an uphill battle that's crazy. He's a TF! Just crazy!

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus [emoji336] using Tapatalk
Three things to add to the consideration.
1. Alabama has a top 15 Strength of Schedule per Sagarine, and that schedule strength will likely get higher in the rankings vs. say Louisville's 45th. Clemson currently has the 15th SOS.
2. Jalen wasn't even the starter of the first game, and shared quite a few snaps early in the season.
3. There's a lot of football left, and only time will tell how much he improves his game/gets calls to open up areas we perceive as a weakness (down field throws for example).

Elwood Crimson

1st Team
Jul 27, 2004
Not there yet. He has flashes of brilliance running the ball, yet no finesse in the passing game. If he can start hitting +15 yds downfield throws he will start getting the accolades that might make him a heisman candidate.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
If he were doing better passing, I'd go with that. Kiffin is still protecting him with calls. Now if it clicks and the playbook gets open up maybe, but that's going to be a slow process. Or maybe it doesn't happen until after bowl practice or next season who know. He has a strong arm. He threw a pass earlier this season that was 55 yds on a rope.

Personally, I would rather him develop without all the Heisman hype going on around him. I think that's too distracting for a true freshman.
Yup..He's still catching up to the speed of college football in all honesty, once things slows down for him when it comes to reading college D's, he'll start hitting the open WR's & TE's he simply not seeing right now..His numbers will be even more ridiculously better that they are right now when that happens..

It's a scary good thought as to what's to come with Jalen as our QB..Cause we haven't scratched the surface as to just how good of a college QB he's going to become & that's when the :Jalen For Heisman" campaign will be set into motion full steam ahead....

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
From the Texags board - "Because Bama doesn't have a strong QB yet, they have to rely on these other dynamics of the game to win the big games."

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think we can all agree that Jalen has a ton of work to do to be the passer we're gonna need him to be as opponents really lock down on stopping the zone read stuff.

But he's hardly been a liability for us. He's been a difference maker in all our biggest games.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I will be impressed if Jalen can continue in the Heisman conversation this year. Finish this season strong and he will be a legit candidate next year.

For a QB to be in the conversation... He had better be good, have good completion percentages, be able to run, have a bunch of TD and few interception. It will also take a dominant Offensive line, and outstanding receivers. Wouldn't hurt to throw in a dash of luck also. AND LASTLY PLAY FOR A DOMINANT TEAM LIKE ALABAMA.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
I don't think he has a shot. Has the talent, but the politics of the voting will keep him out. You don't often see a Heisman go to the same team to two different players in consecutive years. Heisman voting has become a beauty pageant with voters that take things like "fairness" and "feelings' and "ratings in weak markets" into consideration. Tough to crack that regime twice in a row.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
http://collegefootballnews.com/2016/heisman-trophy-race-2016-week-7

Could another No. 2 from Alabama win the Heisman for a second year in a row? The defense is dominating, and the offensive line is rocking, but Hurts is proving to be the star of the No. 1 team in the country, completing 16-of-26 passes for 143 yards with a pick, and with 132 yards and three touchdowns on 12 carries, in the blowout win over Tennessee. He’s been the stunningly-steady, calm leader playing beyond his years. The next few weeks against Texas A&M and LSU will make-or-break his campaign.

cindym

All-SEC
Oct 14, 2009
saraland, al
From the Texags board - "Because Bama doesn't have a strong QB yet, they have to rely on these other dynamics of the game to win the big games."
I suppose they were watching a different game last week than me I suppose, the kid "gets it" crazy nothing phases him,that's why I respectfully disagree with Aggies fan not only is he "strong" he's remarkable and shows leadership already !! Wow:eek:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

He's going to have to have a 300+ yard passing and 75+ rushing game to really make a splash.
If he consistently plays like he did against UT over the last six games (assuming the SECCG), his numbers would be:
Pass yards: 2,243
Rush yards: 1,290
TD resp for: 35

Impressive numbers, but this was Watson last year (averages adjusted to 13 games):
Pass yards: 3,561
Rush yards: 958
TD resp for: 47

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
They're just bitter they didn't flip him.
They seem to blame that on getting in on him late, when he was already planning to enter early at UA. Doesn't make sense to me, either, but a lot on that board makes no sense at all. I think they refer to it as the "zoo." That does make sense...

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I guess people on the opposing side thinks that Hurts can only do what he do well and that's to run the ball. That's not exactly true. Anyone with common sense can see that He can throw. Like someone said the other day that Hurts improved slightly in second half and I keep saying he's getting better, but the question is will Coaches finally let him rip a big one down the field sometime this season on consistent basis? We have TAMU, LSU, Chatgonna, Auburn, SEC Championship... Those are the game where we have to start throwing ball to balance the offense out. We're facting three real good defense in next few games.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.