Jalen Hurts - Legit Heisman candidate?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Sip, I really feel like he can be the best player in the America with his development and growth. If he can truly ball out in next three games and I suspect he will, I have a feeling lot of people on here will change their true feelings about him being better.

I think he would have a legitimate chance if they voted after the national championship game and we won it as an undefeated team.
Next year, I think he may even be an early front runner.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
For him to get a serious look, he really need to ball out the next three games. Post over 250 yards throwing, over 80 yard rushing and not turnover the ball. Lamar needs one bad game... and it could be interesting.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
For him to get a serious look, he really need to ball out the next three games. Post over 250 yards throwing, over 80 yard rushing and not turnover the ball. Lamar needs one bad game... and it could be interesting.
Would need Jackson to play poorly in a loss.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
There's one way Jalen gets it. SECCG. Louisville is going to be at home. Remember, Trent was the expected favorite in 2011, but he sat in Tuscaloosa while RG3 put on a show the final week of the season.

If Jalen does well the next three weeks, he has a shot (albeit long shot). Jackson being at home while Jalen plays Tennessee or Florida can go a long way in the eyes of voters. Especially if Alabama is 13-0.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I know we like how Bama players seem to be in the conversation a lot in recent years.

But, considering JH's true freshman status, I'd prefer he just keep on slowly developing and building his confidence and talents. He could probably handle the media attention that might come with this, but I'd prefer that not become a possible distraction for him this year.

No doubt he'll get plenty of attention from day one next year!

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
Jackson has to lose ugly. Then, it is an open field, take your pick. Allen is the best player in college football, and IMO Tim Williams would also be a refreshing change of pace for the Heisman. But obviously the most likely candidate from Alabama is Hurts. None of this is very likely.

It is disappointing that the voters are so easily swayed by the most recent performance. Baker Mayfield has come from absolutely nowhere to second in the balloting. Hurts and come up from a longshot to 3rd, after a very good passing performance last week. Allen has been turning in dominating, game-winning performances all season long yet is barely being considered.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I didn't realize how quite Amazing Jalen's season has been/would be until I had the notion to project his stats through 15 games. He's on pace for:

3,005 yards passing and 23 passing TD's with 1,103 yards rushing and 17 rushing TD's.

4,108 Total Yards and 40 Total TD's......as a TRUE FRESHMAN.

That would be:

1st All-Time in school history in Total Yardage AND Total TD's in a single season.
2nd All-Time in Yards per game (273.9) Sims is 1st at (274.1)...close.
4th All-Time Rushing TD's in a season
1st All-Time Rushing yards by a QB in a season.

Pretty SICK stuff.....potentially.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Please don't take this wrong way but would thought at the beginning of the season that when would have a thread as this as the topic? The season is far from over but I'm excited and proud how the young man has competed and carried himself up to this point.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Or three.

LJ's numbers are SO ridiculous, I'm not sure he couldn't sit out the rest of the season and still win it.
And this is why we are getting so many different players each week in these polls. Someone mentioned Baker Mayfield earlier. In a normal year, he wouldn't get the recognition. This year he does because voters are trying to find someone other than Jackson to vote in for second and third place.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
This seems like one of those year where some regional favorite sons end up in the finalist list because they're just going to be filler anyway. LJax's likely margin would lead me to believe that they'll invite only 3.

TAKEPRIDE22

2nd Team
Jul 21, 2011
Birmingham, AL
He probably won't play much this Saturday, but I agree with you...against Aubie and whoever wins the East, he has to really Ball out!!

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
This seems like one of those year where some regional favorite sons end up in the finalist list because they're just going to be filler anyway. LJax's likely margin would lead me to believe that they'll invite only 3.
Where is Christian McCaffrey going to fit into all of this? That's the real question. Last year he was robbed.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
While refreshing, keep in mind that this award almost never actually goes to the best player in the nation. You can be a homer in this award. Everyone else is.
Even with Homerism at play, I couldn't select Hurts because he is not even the best player on our team, and he's really not even close to the front of the line yet. It's like that joke of a year when Manti Teo finished second, I think, in the Heisman. He wasn't even the best linebacker on the field in the championship game, and I'm not sure he was second or third.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.