Jalen Hurts - Legit Heisman candidate?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Even with Homerism at play, I couldn't select Hurts because he is not even the best player on our team, and he's really not even close to the front of the line yet. It's like that joke of a year when Manti Teo finished second, I think, in the Heisman. He wasn't even the best linebacker on the field in the championship game, and I'm not sure he was second or third.
Jalen is the most valuable player on team. Some of you take the heisman award to literal. There's a lot of different interpretations in regards to "the most outstanding player." Sometimes it's the best player on the best team, sometimes it's whoever puts up the gaudiest stats and sometimes it's the most valuable player. Point being there's many different interpretations.

I love all the players on the team but if we lost Allen, Williams, Foster or anyone else we would still be undefeated right now. Without Jalen we would have multiple losses. I don't think I've ever seen another fan base who didn't want their QB to be considered for the heisman..

Last edited:

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
Jalen is the most valuable player on team. Some of you take the heisman award to literal. There's a lot of different interpretations in regards to "the most outstanding player." Sometimes it's the best player on the best team, sometimes it's whoever puts up the gaudiest stats and sometimes it's the most valuable player. Point being there's many different interpretations.

I love all the players on the team but if we lost Allen, Williams, Foster or anyone else we would still be undefeated right now. Without Jalen we would have multiple losses. I don't think I've ever seen another fan base who didn't want their QB to be considered for the heisman..
Doubtful.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Yep, CA, the way Hurts responded in the following drive after the strip fumble TD was the most important moment of the season thus far. It demonstrated without a shadow of a doubt that Hurts will not wilt and has a ton of natural leadership traits.

The LSU game is weird because his two turnovers were basically the only things that gave LSU a chance to score in that game. The defense saved his bacon and he repaid it with a masterful fourth quarter performance.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Also, we certainly weren't going to be undefeated at this juncture with Blake Barnett. Basically, other than his repeat performance in the USC game (when the dogs were called off) and the Kent State game...that kid looked like he had a massive case of "deer in headlights." If the pocket wasn't clean then he was all happy feet and seeing the rush instead of routes.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It depends on how you mean "without". Without like we never signed him or without like he got injured.
I would assume 'without' means exactly that - you play the game without him.

Are we really dissecting words to figure out how important JH is?

CNS made him the starter - if anyone could ply and lead us to this point, why would he choose the FR knowing full well that (at least) one more experienced player would leave?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I posted when we signed him that Jalen should be our starting quarterback, and got absolutely crucified! I was a complete idiot.
Now, I'm an idiot because I don't agree that, as a true freshman, he's not a Heisman candidate or the most valuable player of our football team.
Go figure. :)

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I posted when we signed him that Jalen should be our starting quarterback, and got absolutely crucified! I was a complete idiot.
Now, I'm an idiot because I don't agree that, as a true freshman, he's not a Heisman candidate or the most valuable player of our football team.
He already IS a Heisman candidate. Whether he wins or deserves to be or is invited to NY is another matter. Tessitore has polled real Heisman voters at ESPN and Jalen is presently 3rd in the voting. This along with the fact that many in the national media have been, and currently are, talking about him in this light means that he is a Heisman candidate. You may disagree with them, that's fine, but he is a candidate nonetheless.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
"Without" Jalen, we don't know who our QB would be, how they would perform, or what would be the game plan for another QB. If we had never signed Jalen, we would sign another top QB who could have done the same. We don't know, so it's silly to make statements about how many games we might lose without him.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Maybe not multiple, but without JH I'd bet we lose to LSU. And possibly OM.

I am trying to imagine an Alabama team this year without Hurts as the starter. I think that the loss to Ole Miss is a given. Bateman struggled against them last year and Barnett seemed to be a little overwhelmed early on. I don't think that either would have been able to stay focused when the score hit 24-3. But we have no idea how far Barnett might have come by the LSU game if he were the man. Barnett has a great arm - great arm.

I would bet that you lose the early game but are set by the LSU game at QB. You had a number of quality QBs other than Hurts on the roster. You would also be ranked #1 right now, with or without Hurts, IMO.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Don't be so sensitive. Nobody called you an idiot. I just think you're missing the context. If Fournette, McCaffrey and Cook were having monster seasons as predicted then Jalen wouldn't be in the conversation. But only 1 player (Jackson) is having a great year so that opens the award up to other players. You really think a running back at San Diego St is more deserving than Jalen? Just step back and think about the context of this years race and it makes sense for Jalen to be a candidate.

If you don't think Jalen should be considered who are your top 5 candidates?

Last edited:

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

I guess this means that you are the leading candidate for head idiot!
:)

Class year doesn't matter...production does. I don't think he will win...but he may be the MOST IMPORTANT PLAYER on the best team...because he handles the ball every play.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Sip, you're missing one key point - the voters of the Heisman write whoever they want. If a certain number of voters feel Jalen deserves a vote, he becomes a candidate. Thus far, enough voters have mentioned him in the polls to warrant being listed as a possible candidate.

Right now, everyone is up for the second place spot behind Lamar Jackson. We'll see how that plays out over the next three weeks.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.