Jalen Hurts - Legit Heisman candidate?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Yup - JH only needs 57 yards to be the best all time single season rushing QB at Bama.
I think that gets into the, how does he realistically have a shot at the Heisman?

I think it does start with Louisville losing again and Jackson struggling. I think that could bring leadership into the discussion.

Then what else? Hurts isn't likely to hit 15 rushing TDs, or 1,000 yards. But, if he can stay ahead in the SEC in rushing TDs, and can break the Alabama rushing record that will give people something to talk about.

In terms of passing, Hurts could sneak ahead of Dobbs (to 4th in the SEC) in yards and hit the 2,500 mark. With touchdowns he could probably pass 20 and be 4th in the SEC as well. He's already third in rating and with the two guys in front of him not playing, I'm not sure he's going to catch either.

So, what does that amount to? He'll be the best rushing quarterback Alabama has ever had. He'll both be able to lay his claim as one of the top rushers and passers in the SEC. Not to mention the prestige of leading the only major conference undefeated team. But, how much does leadership matter, how much does the team performance matter, and how much is it just about stats? If it's just stats, he has no chance. And I don't think he has that much of a chance...

By the way, Alabama's SoS is 6 and Louisville's SoS is 64. There's just no question that Jackson's stats are padded by playing weaker opponents. For example, Jake Browning had a lousy game against USC. Chad Kelly understandably had an off night against LSU. Jackon's big passing games came against Charlotte, Marshall, Virginia, and Boston College. I'm not saying he isn't deserving, or that Hurts is a better player. Just pointing out that Hurts deserves some recognition for what he's done.

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Sip, you're missing one key point - the voters of the Heisman write whoever they want. If a certain number of voters feel Jalen deserves a vote, he becomes a candidate. Thus far, enough voters have mentioned him in the polls to warrant being listed as a possible candidate.

Right now, everyone is up for the second place spot behind Lamar Jackson. We'll see how that plays out over the next three weeks.
I'll agree.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

I guess this means that you are the leading candidate for head idiot!
:)

Class year doesn't matter...production does. I don't think he will win...but he may be the MOST IMPORTANT PLAYER on the best team...because he handles the ball every play.
Padre, I will say without a doubt I don't think this team would be where it is without him. And again, he has done a fantastic job.
There's a difference indeed between being "most valuable" and best.
I'll go ahead and say that he probably is our MVP if one were to be selected.
I still say though that the "best" football player on our team is Jonathan Allen who is also very very valuable to this team in terms of both production and leadership.
I just don't want to be perceived as a non-fan of Jalen Hurts. I absolutely admire his performance and said when I saw his high school highlight reel that we had signed the best quarterback prospect in the Saban era.
I even wrote earlier in this thread that I felt he could actually be a legitimate Heisman serious contender if the vote was held after the national title game and we happened to win it, and that he may even be the front runner next season.
I come across to strong sometimes and for that I apologize.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Don't be so sensitive. Nobody called you an idiot. I just think you're missing the context. If Fournette, McCaffrey and Cook were having monster seasons as predicted then Jalen wouldn't be in the conversation. But only 1 player (Jackson) is having a great year so that opens the award up to other players. You really think a running back at San Diego St is more deserving than Jalen? Just step back and think about the context of this years race and it makes sense for Jalen to be a candidate.

If you don't think Jalen should be considered who are your top 5 candidates?
Sometimes I just need to keep my mouth shut lol :) The way the season is now looking, with the losses last week, and the supposedly real good teams like Washington, for example, getting killed and thus their QB drops out of the race, I'd say he's definitely top five. He's actually tied for number six with J.T. Barrett according to the latest vegas odds, but if we win the SEC title he plays outstanding, he may actually move up substantially. As long as we keep winning and other teams keep losing his odds get better and better. So I'll agree.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I don't think Hurts is a real contender this year but I remember Henry not getting a lot of attention until the later part of the season when the "big names" started dropping off. I'm also not a big fan of the way players drop rapidly when their team loses a game; the "best player in the country" doesn't necessarily have to be on a championship contending team.

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Yup - JH only needs 57 yards to be the best all time single season rushing QB at Bama.
Not a knock on him but I seriously didn't think he would have a shot at becoming the single season rusher this year only because I thought our stable of backs would automatically get more yardage than he would this year. Figured he would before he graduated/left for NFL but not this year. Never say never huh? Kudos to the young man on what he's accomplished thus far this season.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I don't think Hurts is a real contender this year but I remember Henry not getting a lot of attention until the later part of the season when the "big names" started dropping off.
Henry didn't become 'the guy' until the LSU game last year (game 9), and even then most thought McCaffrey was going to win it.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Padre, I will say without a doubt I don't think this team would be where it is without him. And again, he has done a fantastic job.
There's a difference indeed between being "most valuable" and best.
I'll go ahead and say that he probably is our MVP if one were to be selected.
I still say though that the "best" football player on our team is Jonathan Allen who is also very very valuable to this team in terms of both production and leadership.
I just don't want to be perceived as a non-fan of Jalen Hurts. I absolutely admire his performance and said when I saw his high school highlight reel that we had signed the best quarterback prospect in the Saban era.
I even wrote earlier in this thread that I felt he could actually be a legitimate Heisman serious contender if the vote was held after the national title game and we happened to win it, and that he may even be the front runner next season.
I come across to strong sometimes and for that I apologize.
I don't know how anyone could think you are not fully behind Jalen Hurts...they haven't been reading if they do. I happen to think that several Bama players are "better" football players at this point in time...Allen is one...R. Foster is another...Hurts is such an outlier -- NO ONE SAW THIS LEVEL OF PLAY COMING IN THE SPRING. Yes, you and others thought he would start...but this? I am still amazed....

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I don't know how anyone could think you are not fully behind Jalen Hurts...they haven't been reading if they do. I happen to think that several Bama players are "better" football players at this point in time...Allen is one...R. Foster is another...Hurts is such an outlier -- NO ONE SAW THIS LEVEL OF PLAY COMING IN THE SPRING. Yes, you and others thought he would start...but this? I am still amazed....
From a Heisman perspective I wonder if his extra calm demeanor helps or hurts him?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I don't see how it should hurt him..
Well, there's no doubt that his incredible poise is one of his biggest assets, and one of the things I admire the most about him, especially at his young age.
I just wonder if he did the jump bumps after a touchdown or sprinted down the field pumping his fist and brought a little attention to himself if the media wouldn't pick up on him more and publicize him a bit more.
That being said, it's just a question. Ultimately he has to be himself, and I appreciate, very much, who he is.

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
Well, there's no doubt that his incredible poise is one of his biggest assets, and one of the things I admire the most about him, especially at his young age.
I just wonder if he did the jump bumps after a touchdown or sprinted down the field pumping his fist and brought a little attention to himself if the media wouldn't pick up on him more and publicize him a bit more.
That being said, it's just a question. Ultimately he has to be himself, and I appreciate, very much, who he is.
I see what you're saying, but maybe he'll do it when the time is right, like maybe the championship game. Is it something he's adapted since coming here or has he always been like this through high school too? I love it, makes it seem nothing is good enough. Better than a Scam Newton attitude at least

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
:)
I see what you're saying, but maybe he'll do it when the time is right, like maybe the championship game. Is it something he's adapted since coming here or has he always been like this through high school too? I love it, makes it seem nothing is good enough. Better than a Scam Newton attitude at least
Personally, if I was in the media, I'd make a huge story out of the fact that he actually does an old fashioned hand shake with the receiver who catches the touchdown, or his blockers when he scores one with his feet. To me, that's a HUGE story in today's world of athletics.
But understand, I'm in advertising, marketing and promotions, so i think in those terms 24-7 :)

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Given what's happening in the first half on ESPN, does anyone want to reconsider their positions?

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.