Jalen Hurts - Legit Heisman candidate?

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
Collegefootballnews.com seems to think he is #2 right now.

http://collegefootballnews.com/2016/heisman-trophy-race-2016-week-7

He certainly has the showcase games to do it, but I think Lamar Jackson & Louisville would need to lose at least two more game for him not to get it.

So far Lamar Jackson's numbers have been too good, and there are always that section of voters that think a Freshman can just win it next year if he is that good.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Not quite yet, IMO. Assuming he keeps improving, then next year is a definite possibility. He doesn't have the eye-popping numbers that some of the other candidates do and too many people have "Bama fatigue". Let's not forget that last year Derrick Henry had the best year in the history of the SEC, but somehow people still think McCaffrey was robbed...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He is 4th right now behind Watson, Barrett and Jackson. If Clemson and OSU lose, he has a chance. He needs all of the other contenders to have a loss to have a shot, and then it would still be very unlikely. But he might get to NYC if Alabama stays undefeated.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Not quite yet, IMO. Assuming he keeps improving, then next year is a definite possibility. He doesn't have the eye-popping numbers that some of the other candidates do and too many people have "Bama fatigue". Let's not forget that last year Derrick Henry had the best year in the history of the SEC, but somehow people still think McCaffrey was robbed...
Really you don't say???

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
He is 4th right now behind Watson, Barrett and Jackson. If Clemson and OSU lose, he has a chance. He needs all of the other contenders to have a loss to have a shot, and then it would still be very unlikely. But he might get to NYC if Alabama stays undefeated.
I think the advantage he has is something I alluded to in a preseason Heisman prediction topic: he's the new kid on the block. His failings exist and they could be exploited by a great opponent but people aren't focusing on the turnovers and occasional bad throws...they're focusing on this young kid who is making great plays as a true freshman.

People are complaining about Watson's accuracy when he's a 63% passer and their offense doesn't shy away from low percentage shot plays. You hear the same about JT Barrett but not much about how he was practically in 2008 SECCG Tebow mode during crunch time against Wisconsin.

The guys who are getting all the love without nitpicking are the relative new-to-the-scene guys (Jackson and Hurts).

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
If he were doing better passing, I'd go with that. Kiffin is still protecting him with calls. Now if it clicks and the playbook gets open up maybe, but that's going to be a slow process. Or maybe it doesn't happen until after bowl practice or next season who know. He has a strong arm. He threw a pass earlier this season that was 55 yds on a rope.

Personally, I would rather him develop without all the Heisman hype going on around him. I think that's too distracting for a true freshman.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
If he finishes at or above his current performance level he will most likely receive enough votes to get invited. He won't win IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Still not too late for him to step his game up in second half... Remember it took Henry whole second half to get folk's attention. I think it's good for Hurts to get recognize for what he's doing, and he knows he has to do better with passing game.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I first heard him mentioned as a candidate Sunday and I thought please no the hype could hurt him. After thinking about how he played Saturday on that stage in hostile territory, I thought why not? I'm done doubting this kid. I didn't think as a true freshman he'd start. I didn't think he'd be anywhere near this good so soon. I have never seen a player like him. He is a nightmare for opposing defenses and coaches. I'm glad I was wrong and I'll never doubt him again.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
According to a betting site, Hurts currently has an outside chance as something like the #10 in the list. I saw Dobbs ranked higher than Hurts, believe it or not. If you want to take a home boy in a long shot, I'd say it is worth a flutter on Hurts. If he starts hitting long ones while keeping his running and short game intact, he may get an invite. To win, he needs some mistakes from the leaders, but there is plenty of time for that.

Interestingly, some folks like Fournette are already off the board. It does not take much to get kicked from Heisman consideration. A horrible game from Watson or Jackson is very possible.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
It's too early to really parse it out. Aside from Jackson, who SHOULD be the favorite, almost every other top QB (no one from another position is stepping up, yet) has similar stats.

I still think a dark horse emerges somewhere, not to win but to show up in NY.

As of now, I say 4 are invited. Jackson, Watson, Barrett, and Peppers from Michigan.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
I was in and out of the car today and listening to college sports on XM radio but never heard the same hosts twice. Anyway, each time I tuned in this subject came up and each time the talking heads had positive things to say about Jalen and all of them thought he at least belongs in the conversation, while some even had him in their top three. TIFWIW. With games against A&M, LSU, Auburn, and likely the SECCG, he has the platform to make his case, if not for this year, certainly for next and beyond.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
After the very first game I looked over to my wife and said that he might become a Heisman candidate.

To those who think he's just unworthy of consideration, I believe he's fourth in the conference in passing efficiency, and he's also one of the SEC's leading rushers. If he has a couple of big games in a row yeah, he really could become a big part of the discussion.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Not this season, maybe next. I'm going to assume that Clemson will win the ACC and make it to the playoff so that means Deshaun Watson will win it. His numbers are better right now.

WishIwasInBama

1st Team
Jul 17, 2005
Okinawa Japan
If Deshaun Watson's name was Jim Smith there is no way he is in the heisman conversation in my opinion. His name is there largely based on what he did last year. I haven't watched all their games but the ones I have he has not been one of the top 4 players in college football

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.