Could Butch Jones be on the hot seat?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I haven't heard anything in that regard so far, but looking at the overall picture:

1. Went into overtime against Appalachian State, a team that would have beaten them in regulation time if not for THREE missed kicks.

2. Beat Georgia on a Hail Mary fluke play.

3. Lost to aTm.

4. Got pounded mercilessly by us in their own house.

Everyone says that their remaining schedule is a cakewalk. I'm not convinced of this, because Vandy beat Georgia with no "miracles" involved, and even South Carolina or Kentucky might pull a surprise on them, especially considering the Vols' injury situation.

So what do you think? If they continue tanking, will Butch be set free? Or will the "injuries" excuse keep him there another year?

Personally, I hope he stays another 20 years and hires Derek Dooley as an assistant.
No, he's not on a hot seat.

But Kirby Smart's first year at UGA is a stark reminder of being careful what you wish for. UGA might well win the East if they'd kept Richt.

Tennessee should run the table with considerable ease. I think most Vols fans probably knew this year would not be the year to beat Alabama, but it's the margin of victory - one that could have been considerably worse - that's the stunner right now.

LSU may well regret firing Miles, depending upon how it turns out.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
From my brief visit to their board yesterday, I found he has backers and detractors, a mixed bag of each but both sides firmly entrenched in their belief. I also saw a good bit of discussion about their S&C guy - who is new this year I believe - as well as the OC. Most think Butch gives one or both of those guys up to appease the masses.
If he is going to throw someone under the bus it should be Shoop who called out the officials for costing them a close loss.

Slogood

Sep 27, 2016

But Kirby Smart's first year at UGA is a stark reminder of being careful what you wish for. UGA might well win the East if they'd kept Richt.
It is WAAAY too early to suggest this was a bad move by UGA! What did Richt do the previous 15 years to suggest, in spite of perhaps a down year for the East, he would lead Georgia to a conf championship appearance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimson57s

1st Team
Aug 18, 2012
He shouldn't be. IMO, he has improved their program. If he is, the question they should answer is, "Then what?" Who will you hire that will do a better job? Frankly, the "better job" these schools are all looking for is, they want someone who can beat Alabama.

One of the threads I enjoyed on the Viles fan site over the weekend asked who they could hire to beat Alabama. The best answer was, "Nobody - we just have to wait until Saban retires." There's the key. I believe some of these fan bases (and AD's) are holding their coaches and teams to an unfair standard, expecting them to beat Alabama consistently in the Saban era. CNS has our team at a different level from the rest of the SEC.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
And just last year they were calling CNS 'a has been', where are they all at now? Those that predicted the vols to beat Bama, where they at? They really need Coach Kiffin and Coach Pruitt to guide them out of their mess, OH! I forgot, they fired Coach Kiffin so he wouldn't accept if they offered. I think they give Butch Jones a raise and a 5 year extension.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Tennessee should run the table with considerable ease. I think most Vols fans probably knew this year would not be the year to beat Alabama, but it's the margin of victory - one that could have been considerably worse - that's the stunner right now.

LSU may well regret firing Miles, depending upon how it turns out.
Let's be honest, considering what we have coming back for the next two and three years at QB, RB, WR and now seeing some of the young'uns on defense emerging. What year are they considering a "good year" to beat Bama?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm guessing you haven't read any of Vol Twitter in the last 8 months.

CapitalTider

All-American
Jun 8, 2004
Vienna, VA
Butch had injury problems last year, though. A new S&C guy should change that unless Butch has something to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That kind of goes with Buzzard's Shula point. We had a S&C problem but it wasn't the S&C coach, it was Shula's lack of emphasis on the program and players not participating. That could be (emphasis on "could") the problem in Knoxville. If it is firing the S&C coach won't help. Just like Miles' offensive problems spanned multiple coordinators.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I think most all the hype and love for the Sarge is because of recruiting. He's recruited well overall and he has "beat" Saban head to head for a few recruits.
Intersting, UT has been middle of the pack recruiting in the SEC since Butch arrived:
2013: 21st nationally, 10th in the SEC
2014: 5th nationally, 3rd in the SEC
2015: 5th nationally, 2nd in the SEC
2016: 15th nationally, 7th in the SEC
avg: 11.5 nationally, 5.5 in the SEC

Couple of good years, couple of truly 'meh' years. If they think that's good enough to win the SEC, bless their hearts...

Lots of fans think all you have to do is recruit "stars" and you have a championship program.
It certainly doesn't hurt... :biggrin2:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Let's be honest, considering what we have coming back for the next two and three years at QB, RB, WR and now seeing some of the young'uns on defense emerging. What year are they considering a "good year" to beat Bama?
I was just thinking earlier this morning - we'll be returning literally all of our impact skill players next year and JH will have a years of experience under his belt. This was the year to beat Bama, as next year the offense will be scary (seriously scary) good...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I was just thinking earlier this morning - we'll be returning literally all of our impact skill players next year and JH will have a years of experience under his belt. This was the year to beat Bama, as next year the offense will be scary (seriously scary) good...
I told my dad after Saturday's game that it is very realistic that we may win ANOTHER two (possibly three) NC's in the next few years. My dad is highly, highly critical of Alabama's offense. He grew up in the Bryant days and nobody does it like Bryant in his mind. He always says (regarding Kiffin's play calling) "Coach Bryant would have done...". But after watching this years offense and especially Saturday. The old man actually broke down and said "That maybe one of the most dominating offenses I've ever seen." For him to say that says something.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
I think we'll see as many as 3 new HC's in the SEC next season. Don't forget, Kevin Sumlin has a hot seat too. So if A&M comes into T Town and gets killed again, his seat will be hot by default. A&M faithful wont settle for second or third place again.

LSU will have a new coach
Tennessee will too if the Vols take a dive (which is looking possible)

And one has to wonder about Freeze and Ole Miss and then Arky and Bret.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
If he is going to throw someone under the bus it should be Shoop who called out the officials for costing them a close loss.
If Shoopy can just get that rushing yards per game average allowed vs. SEC West down below the 403.2 mark, Columbia would take him back in a second. Or Northeastern up in Boston. Wait a minute, scratch that - they don't have a football program any more.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
He shouldn't be. IMO, he has improved their program. If he is, the question they should answer is, "Then what?" Who will you hire that will do a better job? Frankly, the "better job" these schools are all looking for is, they want someone who can beat Alabama.

One of the threads I enjoyed on the Viles fan site over the weekend asked who they could hire to beat Alabama. The best answer was, "Nobody - we just have to wait until Saban retires." There's the key. I believe some of these fan bases (and AD's) are holding their coaches and teams to an unfair standard, expecting them to beat Alabama consistently in the Saban era. CNS has our team at a different level from the rest of the SEC.
Agree with this. They were a mess when he took over -- he might be a better recruiter that coach but he's made them nationally relevant again. They'll probably still win the SECE (and get pounded by Bama again.) He certainly deserves another year at the least.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.