Could Butch Jones be on the hot seat?

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
I think we'll see as many as 3 new HC's in the SEC next season. Don't forget, Kevin Sumlin has a hot seat too. So if A&M comes into T Town and gets killed again, his seat will be hot by default. A&M faithful wont settle for second or third place again.

LSU will have a new coach
Tennessee will too if the Vols take a dive (which is looking possible)

And one has to wonder about Freeze and Ole Miss and then Arky and Bret.
LOL yes they will.

If A&M goes 11-1 or 10-2 and finishes second in the SEC West there is zero chance Sumlin loses his job. It will take a huge tank job where they finish 7-5 for him to get canned IMO.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I think we'll see as many as 3 new HC's in the SEC next season. Don't forget, Kevin Sumlin has a hot seat too. So if A&M comes into T Town and gets killed again, his seat will be hot by default. A&M faithful wont settle for second or third place again.

LSU will have a new coach
Tennessee will too if the Vols take a dive (which is looking possible)

And one has to wonder about Freeze and Ole Miss and then Arky and Bret.
Sumlin and Bielema are safe, unless they both completely melt down in the second half of the season. Unlikely.

Freeze is safe as well. The only possible chance of change there is if the NCAA blasts him, but I don't see that happening.

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I told my dad after Saturday's game that it is very realistic that we may win ANOTHER two (possibly three) NC's in the next few years. My dad is highly, highly critical of Alabama's offense. He grew up in the Bryant days and nobody does it like Bryant in his mind. He always says (regarding Kiffin's play calling) "Coach Bryant would have done...". But after watching this years offense and especially Saturday. The old man actually broke down and said "That maybe one of the most dominating offenses I've ever seen." For him to say that says something.

Good stuff, Buzz! :)

graydogg85

1st Team
Feb 7, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I agree with other posters - the current UT staff bring in a lot of raw talent, but one can find a lot of flaws in their player development, gameplanning and play calling. UT will likely win 10 games this season, and possibly the division, but IMO that is the ceiling for this staff. 8/9 win seasons are going to be more typical. The UT brass will ultimately have to decide if that is good enough. To a lesser extent, it will be similar to the Richt/UGA situation.

I think Jones is safe this year barring a complete and total implosion...and he certainly represents improvement over the previous staff at UT. But Dooley was an outright disaster on many fronts.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I think 2016 was their best shot. We should be better offensively next 2 years, hard to say that for them.
Let's be honest, considering what we have coming back for the next two and three years at QB, RB, WR and now seeing some of the young'uns on defense emerging. What year are they considering a "good year" to beat Bama?

CraigMack

1st Team
Jul 13, 2000
Chelsea, AL
I still can't figure out how he wasn't fired for trying to cover up his players rape accusations, kicking other players off the team who were attempting to help the victims, etc. The guy's a real piece of work. UT can sweep potential scandal under the rug like nobody's business (changing grades, paying players, students doing classwork for players, Peyton Manning sexually assaulting university staff members and so on).

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I can't remember if I respond to this post, but I don't think Butch will be fired. They had injuries and that likely will buy him one more year. I think S&C coach will get fired after this season. Freeze won't get fired. I think we'll see two coaches getting fired from SEC: Mason and Stoop.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Winning 2/3 main rivalry games, the sugar bowl still open for him, and the SECE title looks pretty favorable I would say it buys him 2-3 years.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I've always felt that a college coach should be given at least five years. That gives him five full years of recruiting, a chance to redshirt a few on the fence players, and to actually have as good a senior class as he can develop. If it hasn't worked after five then o..k..hotseat. Until then, no. That is, UNLESS you inherit incredible talent from the previous coach. That wasn't the case at UT.
I'll say this about Jones. His players play very hard for him and they don't give up.
I can't see him being on the hotseat.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
I'm not so sure UT ends up 10-2.....I think they drop at least 1 more game....maybe 2....especially now that they've been processed. :biggrin:

We'll see.....
Tennessee's remaining schedule:
South Carolina (worst scoring team in SEC)...Tennessee Tech (NO way)...Kentucky (they just aren't good enough)...Missouri (that's enough on this one)...Vanderbilt (possible, but not likely)....I don't see a probable loss, let alone two...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
South Carolina (worst scoring team in SEC)...Tennessee Tech (NO way)...Kentucky (they just aren't good enough)...Missouri (that's enough on this one)...Vanderbilt (possible, but not likely)....I don't see a probable loss, let alone two...
As badly as Tennessee is beat up, I'm not sure any of those teams are a guaranteed win. They should win all of them, but with 16 (by some counts 18) starters out of commission, they're running on fumes...

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
I can't remember if I respond to this post, but I don't think Butch will be fired. They had injuries and that likely will buy him one more year. I think S&C coach will get fired after this season. Freeze won't get fired. I think we'll see two coaches getting fired from SEC: Mason and Stoop.
Mason bought another year by beating uga

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

I think most folks see it the same way you do, but my point was a counter-point (of view).

Nothing is ever certain in college football....nothing.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.