Could Butch Jones be on the hot seat?

Sep 30, 2002
Knoxville, TN USA
I haven't heard anything in that regard so far, but looking at the overall picture:

1. Went into overtime against Appalachian State, a team that would have beaten them in regulation time if not for THREE missed kicks.

2. Beat Georgia on a Hail Mary fluke play.

3. Lost to aTm.

4. Got pounded mercilessly by us in their own house.

Everyone says that their remaining schedule is a cakewalk. I'm not convinced of this, because Vandy beat Georgia with no "miracles" involved, and even South Carolina or Kentucky might pull a surprise on them, especially considering the Vols' injury situation.

So what do you think? If they continue tanking, will Butch be set free? Or will the "injuries" excuse keep him there another year?

Personally, I hope he stays another 20 years and hires Derek Dooley as an assistant.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
My first impression is that the preseason hype alone has bought CBJ another year because I think it usually takes time for the mentality to fire a coach to really set it. And who are they going to get, really, when there are already a lot of big name programs in the hunt for coaches? That said, if he doesn't win out then he'll go into next year with a lot shorter leash.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
His record against ranked teams is abysmal. They would do well to recognize he is a good recruiter and that's it. He relies too much on emotion and makes ZERO in-game adjustments. They will probably give him another year, but that won't make any difference IMO. You don't just wake up one day and become a good coach. You are what your record says you are.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm curious how long it'll take Vol fans to start questioning their S&C methods. Recall all the injuries sustained by UT players going into the 2015 season. Then, they have all the injuries during the season this year.

The injury bug bites every team at some point, but so many bites in a short amount of time cause one to question why.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I'm curious how long it'll take Vol fans to start questioning their S&C methods. Recall all the injuries sustained by UT players going into the 2015 season. Then, they have all the injuries during the season this year.

The injury bug bites every team at some point, but so many bites in a short amount of time cause one to question why.
That's a good point. I've often wondered why other teams don't just do what Bama does: go out and hire the best coach (at his position) in the country. Then I realize if it was easy, everyone would do it...

CapitalTider

All-American
Jun 8, 2004
Vienna, VA
Can they afford to fire him and hire someone else? A few years ago their Athletics Department was in pretty dire financial trouble. Not sure if, or how much that has turned around.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
There are a lot more hotter seats than his and only a handful of quality coaches to snag. He is safe another season at least.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
For some reason, quite a few of their fans think Butch can get them back to the top. I just don't see it - I've never been impressed with his coaching at all. Heck, Dooley beat the crap out of him when he was still at Cincy: http://www.espn.com/college-football/recap?gameId=312532633

I just don't understand why they believe he'll get them where they want to be - but they still (generally speaking) believe in Sarge.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Phatty would jump right in, no problem, ready to resume his dictatorship of the universe as the be all, end all, never ending gift to mankind, channeled through the University of Vomiteers.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
From my brief visit to their board yesterday, I found he has backers and detractors, a mixed bag of each but both sides firmly entrenched in their belief. I also saw a good bit of discussion about their S&C guy - who is new this year I believe - as well as the OC. Most think Butch gives one or both of those guys up to appease the masses.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
He'll get the injury bug excuse this season. But next season if the injuries start to mount again his S&C methods will come into question. The same thing happened to us under Shula. We'd constantly have injuries but when Saban got here amazingly they went away.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
From my brief visit to their board yesterday, I found he has backers and detractors, a mixed bag of each but both sides firmly entrenched in their belief. I also saw a good bit of discussion about their S&C guy - who is new this year I believe - as well as the OC. Most think Butch gives one or both of those guys up to appease the masses.
Butch had injury problems last year, though. A new S&C guy should change that unless Butch has something to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
For some reason, quite a few of their fans think Butch can get them back to the top. I just don't see it - I've never been impressed with his coaching at all. Heck, Dooley beat the crap out of him when he was still at Cincy: http://www.espn.com/college-football/recap?gameId=312532633

I just don't understand why they believe he'll get them where they want to be - but they still (generally speaking) believe in Sarge.
I think most all the hype and love for the Sarge is because of recruiting. He's recruited well overall and he has "beat" Saban head to head for a few recruits.
Lots of fans think all you have to do is recruit "stars" and you have a championship program.

Last edited:

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Butch had injury problems last year, though. A new S&C guy should change that unless Butch has something to do with it.

There is the chance it's a different technique and coach but with the same results. Don't know what the odds would be but there are a lot of lateral moves when it comes to coaching at this level.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.