How Alabama's Evolving Running Game is More Potent After Derrick Henry Went Pro

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

Something strange happened on Alabama's second snap of the second half Saturday at Tennessee.

Quarterback Jalen Hurts took the shotgun snap and handed it off to Damien Harris. That's it. Just an old-fashioned pistol, off-tackle run. Three yards.

It was the second and final traditional handoff Alabama used in its historic running output in the 49-10 whipping of Tennessee. Every other running play in the 438-yard running performance was rooted in the read option, jet sweep -- occasionally both.

The motioning receivers and Hurts' ability to handoff or take off has created a misdirecting, modern version of a triple option.

This was the most striking departure from the seemingly old-guard ground attack that powered Derrick Henry's Heisman Trophy season a year ago. It's also helped make this Alabama running game even more effective two months after lacking backfield experience was the chief concern for the Tide offense.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
I know this wont sit well with some here, but me and a friend at work were talking and our current offense resembles that Auburn offense circa Nick Marshall. Lots of motion and runs/fakes off that smear/jet sweep and some misdirection and it seems like whoever runs the ball, is running into wide open space a lot and is like 5+ yards down field before anyone even gets a hand on them.

We are explosive on offense either way now. That is a given.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I know this wont sit well with some here, but me and a friend at work were talking and our current offense resembles that Auburn offense circa Nick Marshall. Lots of motion and runs/fakes off that smear/jet sweep and some misdirection and it seems like whoever runs the ball, is running into wide open space a lot and is like 5+ yards down field before anyone even gets a hand on them.

It does. But for me the difference is this Alabama offense has the ability to switch styles of offense during a game. I said it in another thread, Alabama can run the fast pace read option for three series. Then turn around, put the QB under center and run power between the tackles. It takes two different styles of defenses to stop those different type of offenses.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
I know this wont sit well with some here, but me and a friend at work were talking and our current offense resembles that Auburn offense circa Nick Marshall.
You are exactly right. I said the same thing to my buddy during the game. Just about the only play Auburn ran with Marshall was that weird 3-way option, with 2 players converging on the QB immediately after the snap.

The difference of course is that we have a lot more extensive playbook than Auburn had. But it is strange to see that 3-way option play in there.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I heard people on Montgomery radio discussing this yesterday.

Alabama uses part of that offense in its offense but doesn't make it the entire offense. That's the main difference.

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
I heard people on Montgomery radio discussing this yesterday.

Alabama uses part of that offense in its offense but doesn't make it the entire offense. That's the main difference.
Another difference...we do not send lineman downfield on passing plays.

FF4bama

1st Team
Sep 13, 2012
It does. But for me the difference is this Alabama offense has the ability to switch styles of offense during a game. I said it in another thread, Alabama can run the fast pace read option for three series. Then turn around, put the QB under center and run power between the tackles. It takes two different styles of defenses to stop those different type of offenses.
^^This. Also, our version doesn't have a moron running up and down the sidelines screaming at the officials to hurry. Our version might look similar but it's vastly superior, and when Hurts catches up to the speed of the game and starts connecting on deep routes the whole team will hit another gear: Ludicrous Speed.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
Absolutely. We saw it with #9 taking the handoff and powering up the middle with his big body. He's hitting the holes better now and when he gets that down along with Hurts getting a little better with passing, this offense may be unstoppable.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
When the game slows down for Hurts, nobody will stop our offense. Nobody.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
With Hurts, Harris, BO, and Jacobs we have a potent pound the ball Offense.
With Hurts, Ridley, Stewart and others we become a nightmare for Defenses, as we spread the field.
With Coach Kiffin calling the shots we are at another level.
IMO: Kiffin is less predictable than our previous Coordinators.
It's looking more and more like Coach Kiffin is the 'Evil Genius' of Offensive Coordinators.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
When Hurts starts hitting those deep passes with consistency, you will be capable of scoring 60+ points/game. Those routes are open all game long because of the run game. With your defense, that is absurd.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
When Hurts starts hitting those deep passes with consistency, you will be capable of scoring 60+ points/game. Those routes are open all game long because of the run game. With your defense, that is absurd.
To be fair, they can do that now - Bama is averaging 45.4 ppg and generally takes the foot off the gas somewhere in the late 3rd / early 4th.

But point taken. Assuming the O-line is solid next year (no reason to believe it won't be as we likely only lose Robinson and Taylor) and assuming Hurts continues to adjust to the speed of the receivers (he's doubled his accuracy in the last three games vs the first four), this offense might be the most prolific - against anyone - that I've ever seen.

Clubfitter

Hall of Fame
Feb 21, 2009
Meridianville, Al
www.amtrustwebsite.com

Your post doesn't affect me at all. All I got to say about that is, "Roll Tide Roll".

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
Blue Half of Glasgow Scotland
Other than cosmetically, I don't see the Auburn comparison.

Auburn's offence at that time seemed almost completely reliant on speed and tempo and if the speed wasn't there then the offence didn't work.

Bama's version appears to my untrained eyes to come with far more control and versatility. It look likes we could choose to eat the clock running the self same set up as we would use for hurry up.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

JDTide

Feb 11, 2000
Denton, TX

There does seem to be a resemblance. Wouldn't it be amusing if Bama were score on a pop pass (without sending lineman downfield) against Auburn?

JamieSPC

1st Team
Aug 29, 2004
Maylene, AL
Saban famously asked "is this what we want football to be?"

People thought he was complaining, it's now apparent he was warning them...

RTR
Post of the year, and worthy of a lede for some ESPN columnist. If any well-known, well-paid sportswriters read this board, you just made part of their job a little easier.

And the terrifying part for college football is... I also think you're RIGHT.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.