Question: Big 12's future after deciding not to expand vs. the SEC's?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Your definition of "undoubtedly" must be quite different from the dictionary's. Pac-12 schools strongly and loudly rejected consideration of BYU in their most recent expansion, in large part because of BYU's unapologetically conservative positions on social issues.
Who says it doesn't work both ways. BYU sits in a better situation right now with the power 5 than they do with a super 4. Basically in the power 5 the non power 5s can exist and have slim opportunities to compete. In a super 4 it is almost a given that it will be a 9 conference game schedule with an agreed upon 3 game non conference. 3/5 of the current power 5s have voiced concern with playing FCS opponents so it kinda seems that a super 4 would probably favor a super 4 non conference schedule. So it puts BYU in a position in that they either change their ways or become fcs athletically. I think it will be the straw that breaks the cougar's back. If it doesn't happen then BYU loses a ton of money, and the PAC 12 looks at teams like Hawaii and Fresno st.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I am not sure anybody really cares what happens to the Big XII outside the ADs and Bowsley. I agree with those who think the SEC should do nothing at this point. Personally I prefer a 12 team SEC, but I realize it would never happen. The best we can hope for would have the conference switch auburn and Mizzou.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I am not against change as long as it comes in small doses. If we go to 16 team super conferences that will be a large dose all at once. Not just one conference adding, but four adding and probably the G5 shrinking to G4. Texas is the wild card in all this because Texas is the only Big12 team anyone actually wants.

The problem here, IMO, is will Texas be willing to settle for less? Will they want a Notre Dame like deal or will they give up the LHN and become full fledged member of the B1G or Pac12? Notre Dame still has their very own NBC network and I would bet Texas is looking at a similar model with someone.

If the ACC adds Texas as a five game partial member that would put the ACC as the premier conference with Texas, Notre Dame, FSU, and Clemson, plus those 27,000,000 added tv sets. The ACC was desperate enough to cut a deal with the Irish and I wonder if they will with Texas also.

I am thinking LHN for Texas home games (like ND) and the ACC TV deal for the away games (like ND).

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I keep reading obituaries for the Big XII and they are still here. Wake me when they really break up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
This is what I was thinking yesterday. Kansas won't add anything to football, but it would be a great addition for basketball. I just don't know who could be added to bring it to 16, West Virginia maybe?

WEST VIRGINIA? Seriously?

Put it this way: do you want to fly into Pittsburgh, and then ride a bus down to Morgantown? Trust me, you don't.

What do they offer, other than a fan base with more toothless hillbillies than API and 10RC combined. Not to mention burning couches, when they do manage to win.

No, not for me. No way, no how.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Well, what about armPITT you ask?

No one up there cares about Pitt football. It is so wildly popular they moved it to the stadium the Steelers play in. IOW, several miles from the campus. That is if you call a large grouping of urban buildings a campus. Which looks amazing like the CMU/Carnegie Tech campus, as they touch. (The excuse was real estate was put to better use, by tearing down the old Pitt stadium.) Gives people who can't get Steelers tickets a chance to see a game in the real stadium! (A buddy of mine did the sound system there. Nice gig. Too bad he still lives there. He went to Tech. One of his cousins was the head honcho at Pitt's Physics Dept.)

As for a cultural fit: none. OK, long time ago, there was some very limited cross-breeding, when there was this company called US Steel, that actually made steel. Those days are over.

No, another really bad idea.

Ok, Cincy?

Cincy looks just like Pittsburgh, but with houses painted weirder colors. Its only advantage is that it is very close to a lot of UK basketball fans. The first thing that you notice, after crossing the Ohio River, is the large number of vehicles with UK decals and stickers. Won't see a single one, in Ohio, but cross that river.................

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Well, what about armPITT you ask?

No one up there cares about Pitt football. It is so wildly popular they moved it to the stadium the Steelers play in. IOW, several miles from the campus. That is if you call a large grouping of urban buildings a campus. Which looks amazing like the CMU/Carnegie Tech campus, as they touch. (The excuse was real estate was put to better use, by tearing down the old Pitt stadium.) Gives people who can't get Steelers tickets a chance to see a game in the real stadium! (A buddy of mine did the sound system there. Nice gig. Too bad he still lives there. He went to Tech. One of his cousins was the head honcho at Pitt's Physics Dept.)

As for a cultural fit: none. OK, long time ago, there was some very limited cross-breeding, when there was this company called US Steel, that actually made steel. Those days are over.

No, another really bad idea.

Ok, Cincy?

Cincy looks just like Pittsburgh, but with houses painted weirder colors. Its only advantage is that it is very close to a lot of UK basketball fans. The first thing that you notice, after crossing the Ohio River, is the large number of vehicles with UK decals and stickers. Won't see a single one, in Ohio, but cross that river.................
Cincy and WV seems more like a last line of expansion for the ACC. I think the Big 10 really wants ND, and would even break down and take a financial hit to get Iowa st or Nd st to make 16. The ACC seems to be more on the path of assimilating the old big east so it seems WV and Cincy would be theirs. That leaves the SEC and PAC 12. I think the SEC must go for 16 if super conferences are inevitable, and if west we must go then we probably should get the Kansas schools and let the PAC 12 have Texas, Okahoma, Okie lite, and who cares.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
I actually think Kansas State would be a nice fit. I'm not sure about stadium size, but just from what I've seen their fan base would fit in well with other SEC fans. They only seat around 50,000. That puts them in the Ole Siss and MSU category. Kansas would be great for basketball. I'm not sure they will ever rebuild that football program though.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Cincy and WV seems more like a last line of expansion for the ACC. I think the Big 10 really wants ND, and would even break down and take a financial hit to get Iowa st or Nd st to make 16. The ACC seems to be more on the path of assimilating the old big east so it seems WV and Cincy would be theirs. That leaves the SEC and PAC 12. I think the SEC must go for 16 if super conferences are inevitable, and if west we must go then we probably should get the Kansas schools and let the PAC 12 have Texas, Okahoma, Okie lite, and who cares.
I would be interested to know if Notre Dame were forced to join a conference, would they choose the ACC or the Big Ten? They are only attached to the ACC because it was willing to allow them partial membership in order for ND football to remain quasi-independent since the Big East was dropping football.

But it came with the cost of more guaranteed football games (5 vs. the 3 that the Big East required), and contractual obligations to join the ACC in football if they ever did join a conference football, for the length of the ACC tv rights deals. I think those run through the 2030s now.

I honestly think Notre Dame would prefer the ACC these days. The cultural ties they had with the Midwest (and the Big Ten) aren't as strong today as they were 30 years ago. I think they like playing in the richer recruiting grounds of the East and Southeast, that the ACC offers, and I think they like having their other sports (namely basketball) tied to the ACC.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Don't know about that cultural ties part. Ok, the recruiting part: yes. But, not as many Catholics in those areas. And let's not mention academic standards. (I'm sure the OSU would be glad to lecture us all about that.)

No, the cultural ties are still there. The bloom is off the Nutter Dumber rose, that is all.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The main issue is that the ACC has teams wrapped up for a long time, and most of the best additions for both the SEC and Big 10 are in the ACC. So, I just don't see the Big 10 making a move (unless Texas falls in their lap), I don't see a good addition for the SEC (I think they can stand by and watch the chaos if the Big 12 implodes, they already got what they needed), and the ACC has all their teams behind bars so I think they can wait for something to fall into their lap to (like perhaps a Kansas or Oklahoma).

The real action right now, as far as I can tell is still the Big 12 and PAC 12. I think Texas is still important for the PAC 12, to help break them out of that box they are in geographically and and the Big 12 has the task of trying to figure out how to sustain themselves. Ironically, what helps them survive as a conference might not be what helps them keep Texas.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.