ESPN College Gameday will be in Tuscaloosa for Bama-ATM Game

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Re: ESPN college gam day will be at Tuscaloosa for Bama-ATM game.

I had no idea, but they have been to Tuscaloosa more than any other campus (Saturday marks the 16th time) and have featured Alabama more than any other team (Saturday will be the 36th time we've been playing in the game that Gameday chose to appear at).

techster79

All-American
Oct 20, 2014
Deatsville, Al

I had no idea, but they have been to Tuscaloosa more than any other campus (Saturday marks the 16th time) and have featured Alabama more than any other team (Saturday will be the 36th time we've been playing in the game that Gameday chose to appear at).
The REC is responsible.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

I already read on a Big 12 board about this "SEC/ESPN/CFP conspiracy." LOL

I frequent the Oklahoma boards and they are always talking this nonsense over there also, along with their claims that all of our success is done with gray-shirting and buying players. It's really sad. They should have joined our conference when they had the chance.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

And we lead in the Corso pick 24 times and I have a feeling it will be 25 picks after Saturday.

TampaTide813

Suspended
Dec 16, 2014

I already read on a Big 12 board about this "SEC/ESPN/CFP conspiracy." LOL
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I never really care about where Gameday is on Saturday. There have been a few cool moments like Namath making his picks and I like the Bama/Bama's opponents signs. I don't wake up Saturday mornings when they cover other teams and give it a second thought. We really have gotten into the heads of the rest of the country. I love it!!!

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

I do believe that ESPN feels, in many ways, that they owe Bama a great deal of gratitude, and they try to show it as much as possible.
People my age and older will remember this---When the fledgling network first went on the air back in the late seventies or early 80's they were doing everything they could to find programming that people would actually watch.
Every week for the first two or three years they carried one college football game per week--a tape delayed broadcast of the Alabama game, every Sunday night. The announcers were Jim Simpson and Paul Macguire, and it was a really good broadcast.
We got a ton of free publicity and probably made some money, and they gave themselves credibility because they carried the "best college team in America coached by the legendary Paul "Bear" Bryant."
I have a feeling that Coach Bryant probably negotiated the deal personally but can't say for sure.
At any rate, it was good for both ESPN and Bama.
Their primary announcer, at that time, was a very young man named Chris Berman, who is still there today, and, if I had to guess, probably has at least a small percentage of ownership. Again, not sure about that either.
But I do think, as I said, that ESPN considers us to be somewhat of a partner, and tries to show it's appreciation every chance they get.
The rest of America may not like it, but I think it's not only deserved, but pretty cool.
sip

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Well it also helps that Alabama has been the best team for a while and also has been playing one of the toughest schedules. They're not there just to see Alabama, they are there because it's a battle of undefeated teams, a top 10 matchup.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
I love college gameday. For me, it's all about college football. I watch nearly every game that comes on starting Thursday through Saturday, regardless of the conference. I don't have many traditions or even passions in life, except for college football and Alabama.

I enjoy waking up and wiping the sleep from my eyes to be greeted by my future wife Sam Ponder (sssshhhhh, she doesn't know it yet.) I feel the show does a genuinely good job of fair and unbiased previews of games.

I read on here a while back that a member liked going on runs early on game days. I think I'd like to start doing something like that, or a workout with the wife (hold your jokes) before everything starts that day.

Point of fact, apparently the bulk of the 16 Tuscaloosa appearances have happened since some guy named Saban came to bama

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

64met

All-American
Oct 12, 2007

Any sense of who guest picker is?

RTR!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

I'd volunteer to do it. I'm a TideFans celebrity with a "60 Minutes" and NPR appearances in my background. And to satisfy the Auburn argument ("didn't even attend school there"), I DID apply and WAS ACCEPTED in the spring of 1987.

They won't even have to pay me; I can dress up like Ken Bone and chant "Roll Tide."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.