"To Be White is to Be Racist. Period." Norman, OK HS Teacher

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I didn't see it in the article but was the teacher white, black, other?
In the recording, the teacher asks: “Am I racist? And I say yeah. I don’t want to be. It’s not like I choose to be racist, but do I do things because of the way I was raised.”

“To be white is to be racist, period,” the teacher says.

That part makes me think white.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Video shows a guy but I think that's a video the teacher was showing. The teacher sounds white in as much as that can be said.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Most schools don't allow cell phones in class.

“The information was taken out of context and we believe it is important to have serious and thoughtful discussions about institutional racism in order to change history and promote inclusivity.”
I was wondering if history can be changed. After looking at the various definitions, many define history as the recording of events and not just the events so I guess it can be changed...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I reject this and similar viewpoints completely. Such as the view that black people cannot be racist. I imagine this teacher probably believes that as well.

These people will never fix anything regarding racism in this country. Only make it worse. I feel for anyone dumb enough to fall prey to this kind of "teaching."

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
“The information was taken out of context and we believe it is important to have serious and thoughtful discussions about institutional racism in order to change history and promote inclusivity.”
Is getting extra points for being a non-Asian minority when it comes to getting into college and getting scholarships considered racism? How about for getting hired and getting promoted? Probably not. That's just social justice, I imagine.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Well, if the goal was serious and thoughtful discussion and promoting inclusivity, that's about as far away from it as you can get.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Politics is Republican and Democrat.......Conservative and Liberal.......Church and State........

This is way beyond politics......
I was not trying to trivialize this by saying it is political.
Discussions about race tend to be politicized in the US.
In this case, it is a teacher taking his personal beliefs and abusing his position as a teacher to transplant his beliefs (which are repugnant, in my view) into his student's minds. This is not his job. He can hold his silly repugnant views, but why does he feel entitled, by virtue of being the only adult in the room, to feed his students his repugnant personal views?
My sister is a left-wing dingbat who wears her feelings on her sleeve, has been fired from a couple of teaching jobs and (I'd bet) at least in part because she was abusing her position as a teacher to spout left-wing ding-battery in class while serving in very conservative school districts.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.