Marty Smith Discusses Bama vs A&M - Great Listen

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I was scratching my head when I started seeing this "NASCAR guy" doing some stretch role stuff on ESPN but he's turned into one of my favorites. He's a hardworking pro's pro with just a hint of party boy in him.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
That was a great listen & thanks for posting..It's very much true that Bama hasn't played a complete game yet this season, when we do it will be a sight to see, hopefully we'll witness that complete game as we shut down the Aggies this coming Saturday..

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
He's a hardworking pro's pro with just a hint of party boy in him.
I just hope ESPN doesn't encourage him to continue embellishing his "Southern-ness." Seems like it becomes more and more exaggerated every time I see him on TV, almost to the point of "Hee Haw."

The last thing we Southerners need is another "Southern" caricature reinforcing stereotypes on national TV...

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
I just hope ESPN doesn't encourage him to continue embellishing his "Southern-ness." Seems like it becomes more and more exaggerated every time I see him on TV, almost to the point of "Hee Haw."

The last thing we Southerners need is another "Southern" caricature reinforcing stereotypes on national TV...

I wonder if he's just letting it shine more or if he's embellishing?

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA

I don't see someone being southern as a bad thing. The hardest working people I know are southerners. Especially those from Alabama. Just my opinion.

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
I don't see someone being southern as a bad thing. The hardest working people I know are southerners. Especially those from Alabama. Just my opinion.
Absolutely nothing wrong with being a Southerner, we should be proud!

What I'm saying is that we Southerners already get a bad enough rap for being dumb, ignorant, backwoods hicks who talk funny. Like characters from the show Hee Haw. It seems to me like ESPN has been encouraging Marty to play up his "Southern-ness" almost to the point of satire. That just rubs me the wrong way...

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
I wonder if he's just letting it shine more or if he's embellishing?
It's obvious that Marty is an intelligent and well-spoken guy, as you can tell from the interview posted above. It just seems like every time I see him on TV, he's yucking it up and being the token over-the-top hillbilly.

Contrasting that with his radio interviews, it seems like he is being encouraged by ESPN to take on that stereotypical persona when he is on TV. Like I said, it just kinda rubs me the wrong way.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I had a neighbor (big UGA fan) tell me one time that he now understood why Alabama had good football teams because I was the hardest working person he had ever known.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.