Link: it's not an official BAMA season without mentioning the Wishbone at least once ...

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
I would like to see this just for old time sake. Instead of the victory formation with us leading by three TDs and 10 seconds left against A&M we go into the wishbone formation.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
I would like to see this just for old time sake. Instead of the victory formation with us leading by three TDs and 10 seconds left against A&M we go into the wishbone formation.
I would run it for one series in the 4th after we have a sizable lead just so DC for the teams we have to play have to spend time working on stopping the wishbone too.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I would run it for one series in the 4th after we have a sizable lead just so DC for the teams we have to play have to spend time working on stopping the wishbone too.
Or one drive, nothing but WB.

Fun as it is to consider, it takes lots of practice on offense to run it...

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Wishbone was left or right, today, Jalen can hand off to a RB heading LT, or take off to the right, reading the defense....that is dangerous and spread. Then add the dimension of taking, rolling out and throwing. It is the wishbone on steroids.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
The Wishbone in all it's forms had a great run...
THEN... Teams figured out how to Defense it.

Same thing is happening to the Spread Offense.
It worked against us for a couple of years till we adjusted our Defense.

The various forms of the Hurry Up Offense worked on us till we figured out how to Defense it, and use it to our advantage, sometimes.

I always loved the Wishbone. If memory doesn't fail me, Coach Bryant went to Texas and learned the basics of the Bone from Darryl Royal.
The Wishbone was a closely guarded secret until our first game. When we played USCw we caught em with their pants down. Suddenly Coach Bryant breathed new life into our football program with the Wishbone. :) :BigA:

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Wonder in Scarbinsky is reading TideFans.com for ideas, because this topic was part of my in-game live tweet and also my game wrap-up article. You're late to the party, Kev.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
OL blocking schemes are completely different in the wishbone. It takes lots of practice to be efficient. That being said, we have some great backs to run it, but not sure we have the lineman to run it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.