How three losses transformed Alabama's defense

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
@rgw - I agree with you, but Saban's defense starts with an effort to stop the run - totally stop it. The only difference is that today's Saban defense has extended that to the QB. His current defensive strategy limits the mobility of the QB. But if a QB can stand in the pocket or run around long enough to launch accurate passes down field, opposing teams can still score. Because you now have faster players on defense, these QBs pay for standing in and delivering those passes. Kelly and Allen took an absolute beating in their games against Alabama. What will Knight do today? How tough is he? We will find out pretty soon.

Another big difference in this year's Alabama team is your offense. You score so many points that your offense puts a lot of pressure on the opposing offense to score. This leads to teams taking more and more chances as games progress. Sometimes those risky plays pay off, but most often they do not. If you can jump on a team early offensively, this starts from the first snap.

I don't think Pruitt is going to get a lot of credit here. Though he's inherited a great D he's done wonders with it. They're heathy and hungry still which I love. CP has them playing at a different level than I have seen. Even though they gave up 43 to OM a lot of those points came after we went on a 45-6 run and the game was pretty much done, kinda like Arky. Good job, CP!

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus [emoji336] using Tapatalk

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
the way Saban has adapted so quickly on the Fly Kama as much as anything, the Championships etc, has put him on the level of Bryant in my opinion

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
the way Saban has adapted so quickly on the Fly Kama as much as anything, the Championships etc, has put him on the level of Bryant in my opinion
Yesterday, I was involved in a mediation on the same side as a couple of lawyers from the Lightfoot firm. The older one, who does a lot of head coach and also professional player contracts, said that the amount of selfishness involved on the part of coaches and players alike had, to some degree, spoiled his interest in the game. He said that he felt Saban would one day be considered above Bryant. He said that it made Bama fans mad sometimes when he said that. I thought it was an interesting remark from an AU grad. He said that Saban's genius was turning "me" into "we"...

Yesterday, I was involved in a mediation on the same side as a couple of lawyers from the Lightfoot firm. The older one, who does a lot of head coach and also professional player contracts, said that the amount of selfishness involved on the part of coaches and players alike had, to some degree, spoiled his interest in the game. He said that he felt Saban would one day be considered above Bryant. He said that it made Bama fans mad sometimes when he said that. I thought it was an interesting remark from an AU grad. He said that Saban's genius was turning "me" into "we"...
Seems to me, CNS has always been that way, "we" instead of "me." Not that he hasn't done things for himself, but I felt over the years he's understood things a bit more and the "we" part of it is just more prevalent today than it was.

I believe it's one of the reason he came back to college football.

Great story!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Seems to me, CNS has always been that way, "we" instead of "me." Not that he hasn't done things for himself, but I felt over the years he's understood things a bit more and the "we" part of it is just more prevalent today than it was.

I believe it's one of the reason he came back to college football.

Great story!

The younger attorney was a former police detective - with the Auburn Police Department. He was the lead investigator in the tree poisoning case. There were some interesting facts there too... :)

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
@rgw - I agree with you, but Saban's defense starts with an effort to stop the run - totally stop it. The only difference is that today's Saban defense has extended that to the QB. His current defensive strategy limits the mobility of the QB. But if a QB can stand in the pocket or run around long enough to launch accurate passes down field, opposing teams can still score. Because you now have faster players on defense, these QBs pay for standing in and delivering those passes. Kelly and Allen took an absolute beating in their games against Alabama. What will Knight do today? How tough is he? We will find out pretty soon.

Another big difference in this year's Alabama team is your offense. You score so many points that your offense puts a lot of pressure on the opposing offense to score. This leads to teams taking more and more chances as games progress. Sometimes those risky plays pay off, but most often they do not. If you can jump on a team early offensively, this starts from the first snap.
Yeah, that is why I think the real changes were basically go a bit lighter at ILB and DT/NT but still within the same general body type but the massive changes were at safety where they select for deep cover coverage over run support and OLB where they went for speed in pass rush over setting the edge in run support. But the OLBs have held up well when tasked with setting the edge and the safeties haven't shied away from contact when asked to fill down into the box.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.