How three losses transformed Alabama's defense

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
On Saturday, Alabama's defensive evolution will come full circle when it welcomes to Tuscaloosa No. 8 Texas A&M and its transfer quarterback, Knight. The team Knight helped beat while at Oklahoma is simply not the same team anymore. Sure, Alabama's defense is still plenty big and strong. But now it's athletic too.

Most of the defensive linemen actually shed weight during the offseason. Ask around, and they'll tell you they feel they're even faster than they were last season, when they led the country in sacks. The numbers back that up: With 27 sacks through seven games, Alabama is slightly ahead of last season's averages.

Go back to the 2013 season and the game against Knight's Sooners, and Alabama had 22 sacks all season. That feels like forever ago. Now, Siskey said, we're seeing the full effect of Saban's decision to shift priorities in recruiting.

"One of the most ingenious things Saban has done, and I think the college football world has seen it come to fruition this year, as these players are playing now, is how he's adapted his parameters," he said. "He's adapted as the game has changed."
http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/colleg...se-transformed-quicker-unit-losing-mobile-qbs

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
The comments section is pretty hilarious. Ohio State fans seem to be talking a lot of trash. They do realize they still have to play Michigan and Nebraska right? Some of them are talking as if they need to make room for the new trophy. No offense B1GTide but I am really hoping they lose to both.

The comments section is pretty hilarious. Ohio State fans seem to be talking a lot of trash. They do realize they still have to play Michigan and Nebraska right? Some of them are talking as if they need to make room for the new trophy. No offense B1GTide but I am really hoping they lose to both.
The Aubrens of the North! I can't stand either fan base at this point nor the teams. Just want Bama to keep playing great football. B1GTide is the man, but it stops there.

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus [emoji336] using Tapatalk

FF4bama

1st Team
Sep 13, 2012
In order to act like you've been there before (B1G being the exception) you actually have to have been there before-- national championships are rare and wonderful things that tend to send fan expectations through the roof. OSU players learned last season how hard it is to keep winning when you're every other team's bowl game. Time will tell if Meyer can keep it all together and avoid being Processed again.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Coach Saban asked a few years ago, "Is this what you want the game to become?" When the rest of CFB said, "Yes" Coach Saban decided to beat them at their own game. To me both the offense and defense are a hybrid between what we used to do and the change to the wide open attacks. He took the strengths of both game plans and has developed a tenacious style of football which I am loving to watch. If we need to go old school power we can. If we need to open it up we can. If we face a power team or a spread team we are lights out on D. Some pundits said the game had passed him by. They were both stupid and wrong.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We're still a "big" defense overall compared to the field. Jonathan Allen is not a tiny man. Neither are Daron Payne, Reuben Foster, or Shaun Dion Hamilton. Sure, they're not as big as their counterparts on earlier defenses but they're not like what you see from some Pac-12 or Big-12 defense where the linebackers are like safeties and the tackles are like strong-side ends.

I think the biggest changes were turning the Jack LB into a more pure NFL-like 34 defense rush linebacker and revamping the safeties to handle ranging the field deep better than in the past. Basically all of the JLBs are 240-260lb speedy rushers now. Moving Eddie Jackson to safety made a ton of sense because he was maybe a step slow for corner but elite as a safety.

Look at some of our greats from the past in the NFL: Mark Barron is a starting OLB in the NFL...wouldn't be surprised if he'd be a SOLB here today if he were eligible. Upshaw was our best pass rusher at Jack LB on the 2011 defense but he's playing DT/SDE now on the Falcons. Dareus was a SDE in 2008-2010 but has made bank in the NFL as a DT.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
What should be scary for the rest of college football to think about is Coach Saban will continue to tinker with our D to make it even better..As good as we may be now, somehow & someway we can become even better, Coach Saban will study our weaknesses(what few we have on the D side of the ball) & continue to evolve "The Process" on both sides of the ball making our football team even stronger..

That's what happens when you have a HC that's truly never satisfied with his football program, cause he wants it to become even better, than the best we've fielded on the football field during "The Process"..It's a great time to be a Bama Fan & I fully understand all the "Bama Hate" in the college football world right now..I'd hate us too if I were them..My advice to them is deal with it cause "The Process" will only grow stronger from here on out..I know it sucks for the rest of college football..LOL

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Gary needs to change his narrative of "How to beat Alabama". His little formula is not working out anymore..with how we have adapted over the years.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Saban grew up, played, and coached in an age where until very recently the general approach to college defense hinged on making the opponent into a passing team and waiting for the screw ups to pile up. The problem is now that the development of the game has improved the overall quality of QB play. There are quite simply more than just "one-hand's worth" of QBs across the nation that can beat you on a given Saturday. I don't think there are more NFL-quality QBs today than a few decades ago but there are definitely more competent passing offenses than in the 1990s. So stopping the run and betting that their QB can't execute against man coverage isn't as high percentage of a strategy anymore.

So really the change from bigger guys to a little smaller guys is just the sign that the most important thing to stop in football today is the quarterback. You have to be able to affect the quarterback and not by just forcing a throw anymore. The QBs are usually good enough athletes to allude a plodding DE whereas those pocket passers from the 90s were praying to get the ball out before getting flattened. Sacks are supremely important in this age...you've got to put that QB on his butt before he can roll out and use open space to his advantage.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Another thing: the emphasis on turnovers is another example of adjusting to the game. I think the staff was wise to make this emphasis compared to what I figured was more of a "be in position, make them execute for 3 downs, get off the field in a set of downs or two" mindset.

Teams want to up the tempo, increase the number of snaps, go down field more...fine, you don't recklessly go for picks or fumbles but you instill a mindset that you're always lying in wait for that moment. You make teams pay for their aggression a bit. To be sure, I think our high takeaway rate has forced teams to slow their roll against us.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.