Question: Why is Vern guest picker for ESPN Gameday?

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I thought guest was suppose to have Alabama ties...ugh!
1. This year all guest pickers have been VERY loosely connected to the game/state/situation.

2. If you don't like him, turn the channel.

Verne Lundquist may not be your cup of tea, but if you had seen the response on social media from those in and around the industry you'd know he is one of the MOST respected people in this field. He's forgot more about football than most people on this board who complain about him will ever know.

Is he getting on in years? Yes.
Does he mess up names sometimes? Yes.

But you can tell he's passionate about his job, works hard to try and deliver a good product, and is the voice of the SEC.

Why did they choose him? Because this is the likely the last time ESPN and CBS are on campus together this year, and they see the opportunity to grab one of the iconic voices in college football before he's gone.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
That's a terrible selection. He is calling the Bama - aTm game, so he will not
make a pick. Why have a guest picker that can't pick all the games .

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I am guessing that only applies to ABC or ESPN announcers. Kirk can't predict a game he is calling on ABC, but Verne is the CBS play by play announcer.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
That's a terrible selection. He is calling the Bama - aTm game, so he will not
make a pick. Why have a guest picker that can't pick all the games .
Why can't he make a pick? I've heard Gary Danielson on JOX make picks/predictions on games he's getting ready to work.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
JMO, but Vern still does a better job than most of the announcers out there. He makes some mistakes with names, but there's no malice intended. And, at this point, it's kind of iconic in a goofy lovable way. Kind of like Harry Caray in his later years, but not NEARLY as bad. 90% of fans in the SEC are convinced Vern hates their team. I like the guy and wish him well.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
JMO, but Vern still does a better job than most of the announcers out there. He makes some mistakes with names, but there's no malice intended. And, at this point, it's kind of iconic in a goofy lovable way. Kind of like Harry Caray in his later years, but not NEARLY as bad. 90% of fans in the SEC are convinced Vern hates their team. I like the guy and wish him well.
agreed. he and gary have been a huge part of sec football

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
They're not saying that they're pulling for a particular team, they're making a prediction.
The problem - once you publicly state your pick, your ego will begin to pull for that team. You cannot help it. That is why they do not want announcers picking teams that they will call - because it absolutely effects how they view and call the game.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I think Joe Namath was the only time ESPN has had a guest picker associated with the university. It always seems to be someone from the other team or someone completely unrelated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
Vern was on hey coach Thursday night and listening to the show my opinion of him change. A very high quality individual that on a personal level is a very pleasant person.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
On the list of things to upset me, this is pretty low on the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
He can't make a pick because announcers are suppose to be objective. Picking one team to win gives a hint of bias. Vern didn't pick any SEC games. That has to be in his contract.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Can't pick any SEC games - should not be a picker. He should have just been a guest on the show. Stupid decision, IMO.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Can't pick any SEC games - should not be a picker. He should have just been a guest on the show. Stupid decision, IMO.
Yeah this is one of those things that works on paper but realistically makes no sense at all.

I like Verne just fine but this is just one of those decisions where you have to wonder what the PTB were really thinking.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.