Game Thread: Official PostGame Thread Bama vs. TAMU...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Griff made 2/3 field goals but that miss was a bad miss and we really need him to make the makable ones like that miss. In that spot, we needed him making all those points...we were controlling the game and 16 off 300 yards isn't great but it is better than 13. And the way I see November going, we're gonna have some stalls in the redzone against the better defenses. We have been really good in red zone until this game because we run the ball so well with a variety of options but the better teams are going to be well scouted, athletic, and more focused on red zone stops. We really aren't too wide open with the passing game all over the field but we get really safe in that area where the middle of the field gets muddied for any QB much less a true freshman.

Making field goals is going to be something we're gonna need and Griff can't miss the layups anymore. If he misses 40+, whatever. He's gotta make the 40 yards and in kicks...

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
I am not piling on CLK...happen to think he is a genius most weeks. However, this week was not one of them. Even though we had a lot of yardage they knew what we would do when we got close. This was not UT we were playing...these were men on defense. His play-calling was suspect at best...and my next play call will be my first. However, I could sit here and call the play most of the time.

Thoughts?
I do not want to pile on either but it seems we get to the red zone and CLK tries to outthink the D or see how cute he can get with his calls. It could have cost us.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Reuben Foster had a great game and has become everything people dreamed he might be. He is unbelievable. LOL, remember a couple years back when he was out of control and one could wonder if he might never figure it out? That's what maturity can do for guy; and it has been all to his benefit to come to Alabama and sit behind mature players and develop his game instead of going somewhere to get early playing time.
Yup..And we will have Mack Wilson to look forward to once Reuben heads to the NFL..Mack reminds me of a younger Reuben on ST's..

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Kiffin had about 2-3 series where I thought he called some bad first down plays that really played into their defensive strength on 2nd and 3rd and long. Chavis started run blitzing aggressively midway through the 2nd quarter and Kiffin was entirely correct in deciding to go to the pass. I don't think our passing plan was very good this weekend. I think TAMU playing hat on hat and close across the board discouraged some of the bubble and tunnel plays. I believe they were concerned about Garrett and Hall fanning out on sweep actions for negative yardage plays or strips. Those two things took away some of the low risk but effective horizontal stretch plays we've used most of this season with Hurts.

We just didn't have a good counter that was something safe with a true freshman QB. Hurts has been great for us but he's gonna have to develop some confidence throwing over the middle. Quick slants and square ins would have been my choices for passing against their looks but the staff hasn't really trusted Hurts with those throws too often.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I hate seeing any play go wide when 1st and goal on the 2 yard line. That 1st play has got to be something that is pretty much guaranteed to not lose yardage.

I kept wanting designed runs for Hurts. I have not been a fan of using the QB as a runner but I've changed my ways on this over the last few games. The RB becomes an extra blocker or a decoy. Until someone convinces me otherwise, I'm saying the 37-yard TD run by Hurt in the 4th quarter was a called QB draw...

Allen's superman tackle early in the game better be an ESPN highlights.

I haven't figured Texas A&M out for sure but they may be a legitimate Top 5ish team and Bama pretty much dominated. I hated some of Bama's mistakes but A&M probably made more.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
We were beyond intense on defense until Adam missed the chip shot. That was a huge play and killed us for quarter or so.
We need a kicker.
I thought missing that chip shot field goal took the wind out of our sails too. I like the boy, but dang I would love to be confident when our field goal kicker went out to kick a field goal that we would get at least three points.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Griff made 2/3 field goals but that miss was a bad miss and we really need him to make the makable ones like that miss. In that spot, we needed him making all those points...we were controlling the game and 16 off 300 yards isn't great but it is better than 13. And the way I see November going, we're gonna have some stalls in the redzone against the better defenses. We have been really good in red zone until this game because we run the ball so well with a variety of options but the better teams are going to be well scouted, athletic, and more focused on red zone stops. We really aren't too wide open with the passing game all over the field but we get really safe in that area where the middle of the field gets muddied for any QB much less a true freshman.

Making field goals is going to be something we're gonna need and Griff can't miss the layups anymore. If he misses 40+, whatever. He's gotta make the 40 yards and in kicks...
Yep

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Kiffin had about 2-3 series where I thought he called some bad first down plays that really played into their defensive strength on 2nd and 3rd and long. Chavis started run blitzing aggressively midway through the 2nd quarter and Kiffin was entirely correct in deciding to go to the pass. I don't think our passing plan was very good this weekend. I think TAMU playing hat on hat and close across the board discouraged some of the bubble and tunnel plays. I believe they were concerned about Garrett and Hall fanning out on sweep actions for negative yardage plays or strips. Those two things took away some of the low risk but effective horizontal stretch plays we've used most of this season with Hurts.

We just didn't have a good counter that was something safe with a true freshman QB. Hurts has been great for us but he's gonna have to develop some confidence throwing over the middle. Quick slants and square ins would have been my choices for passing against their looks but the staff hasn't really trusted Hurts with those throws too often.
I always appreciate your analysis. I agree. The relatively few times Hurts has thrown downfield and over the middle this season have produced some eyebrow raising results and I can see why the staff is uncomfortable with the risk. However, I have to confess sometimes I get frustrated with Saban seeming to be so risk averse, so conservative in decision making (why are we seemingly always so cautious going into halftime?). I get it strategically, but I wonder if sometimes that doesn't rub off on the players in a counter productive way. You can't play well if the little voice in your own head is whispering, Don't make a mistake.

Jalen looked extremely comfortable running the ball, but as much success as he's had running, I have to wonder if it is affecting his presence and feel and decision making in the pocket; in the back of his mind he may already be thinking, If I don't see exactly what I want pull the ball and run. Because we usually can't see the secondary on the TV it's hard to know what he was seeing, but he hesitated to pull the trigger a lot today, looked at a loss at times, and pulled the ball quite a bit. It worked out well for some nice scrambles, but there were some bad plays in there, too. He seems very cerebral. I'd love to see him pass with the same instinctual ease with which he runs.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
We were beyond intense on defense until Adam missed the chip shot. That was a huge play and killed us for quarter or so.
We need a kicker.
Seeing where he is now, I wonder if the stress fracture in his back has acted up again. He sure looks like he looked when he was trying to kick through that...

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
A terrific day in BDS. I heard about Eddie's injury but do not know any details. Is it such that he can't get well in time for the post season, as in either of the playoff games?

bamaee04

All-SEC
Nov 15, 2004
Birmingham, AL
Great trip to T-town for the game today. Bryant-Denny was rocking! It was great to see the crowd noise from start to finish. Time to rest up and get ready for LSU in two weeks.

Wishing EJ a speedy recovery, RTR!

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Everyone who follows my posts know I'm usually quite optimistic, but I must say I'm overly excited for this bye week because I'm legitimately worried about our passing game for the first time.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Everyone who follows my posts know I'm usually quite optimistic, but I must say I'm overly excited for this bye week because I'm legitimately worried about our passing game for the first time.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Really? Just the deep ball or what? Decision making?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Do we have another kicker on scholarship or on the team? Just wondering if we have any other options if it were to come to that..

Also, what was the bathroom situation in the stadium today? Read that they announced over the PA to refrain from using the facilities..

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We have a grad transfer kicker from Ole Miss, Andy Pappanastos. I wondered in the game thread if we ought to consider making him the short kicker if Griff continues to be sporadic.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.