Game Thread: Official PostGame Thread Bama vs. TAMU...

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Really? Just the deep ball or what? Decision making?
It's a combination of things.

The deep ball is bad. Really bad. I know Jalen will eventually find his rhythm, but who knows when it will be? Even the long completion to Stewart today was off, as a little more air would have given us a TD (easy for me to say from my couch of course).

We had a stretch in the 2nd quarter where aTm had a few series where they actually stopped the run. When the run bogged down, we had no chance of moving the ball. Now, I will give credit to aTm for their front 7 not giving Jalen a ton of time...but I think the two best defenses we play all year are still ahead of us. If we can't soften a defense up, it may eventually bite us.

I bet most didn't realize, because of the way we started the 2nd half, but we were able to get by with only throwing 5 second half passes. I don't think that'll work against AU or LSU.

Also, either our receivers aren't getting separation or Hurts isn't seeing them. Too many times Jalen is having to hold the ball too long. The play calling, especially in the 2nd and 3rd quarter, didn't do any favors for us either.

The one thing I will say, though, is it feel like Jalen is the kind of kid who will spend this next two weeks doing all the right things to get better. I think we'll look better coming out of the bye, but I'd be worried if we were going straight on to the LSU game.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
It's a combination of things.

The deep ball is bad. Really bad. I know Jalen will eventually find his rhythm, but who knows when it will be? Even the long completion to Stewart today was off, as a little more air would have given us a TD (easy for me to say from my couch of course).

We had a stretch in the 2nd quarter where aTm had a few series where they actually stopped the run. When the run bogged down, we had no chance of moving the ball. Now, I will give credit to aTm for their front 7 not giving Jalen a ton of time...but I think the two best defenses we play all year are still ahead of us. If we can't soften a defense up, it may eventually bite us.

I bet most didn't realize, because of the way we started the 2nd half, but we were able to get by with only throwing 5 second half passes. I don't think that'll work against AU or LSU.

Also, either our receivers aren't getting separation or Hurts isn't seeing them. Too many times Jalen is having to hold the ball too long. The play calling, especially in the 2nd and 3rd quarter, didn't do any favors for us either.

The one thing I will say, though, is it feel like Jalen is the kind of kid who will spend this next two weeks doing all the right things to get better. I think we'll look better coming out of the bye, but I'd be worried if we were going straight on to the LSU game.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Jalen will have to work on his deep ball, I agree. Tonight he was overthrowing the deep passes. There was one deep pass tonight that was a good 6-7 yards overthrown. He is great on short passes, he's accurate and gets the ball out quickly. Once he gets that deep pass down, he will be unstoppable. If he keeps progressing like he has been, we may be talking about a Heisman trophy in a couple of years.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Do we have another kicker on scholarship or on the team? Just wondering if we have any other options if it were to come to that..

Also, what was the bathroom situation in the stadium today? Read that they announced over the PA to refrain from using the facilities..
Water pressure was too low.

CoreGroup

1st Team
Nov 19, 2013
Dothan, Al
Reading through some of this thread you would think no way we just played an off game and still dismantled the undefeated #6 team in the country.
That's what Coach Saban has us expecting every game. We expect total domination and when a team scores 14 points we freak out. We are literally going to go crazy when CS retires in 25 more years ;)

Btw I went over to texasags and saw a short but funny thread they have going on there about when Saban retires. Its only about 8 posts but its funny.

In spite of EJs injury, we're in really good shape for a playoff/championship run. We have the players/talent/coaching/leadership to do this.
We just went thru a tough stretch of teams and it was evident to me during this game that this team is in dire need of an off week. This team has great heart and when needed, they reached deep inside and made plays and won this game.
Truly, this team is so focused I don't even think we need a bye. However, this bye has come through at a great time.

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus [emoji336] using Tapatalk

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Jalen will have to work on his deep ball, I agree. Tonight he was overthrowing the deep passes. There was one deep pass tonight that was a good 6-7 yards overthrown. He is great on short passes, he's accurate and gets the ball out quickly. Once he gets that deep pass down, he will be unstoppable. If he keeps progressing like he has been, we may be talking about a Heisman trophy in a couple of years.
I don't have confidence in Hurt's short to medium throws either. Like if its 3rd and goal with the ball on the 10ish, I don't expect to see him rifle one into the end zone like I see so many QB's do. He seems to have an extra movement when he needs to throw the ball hard.

Two weeks is a relatively long time in his career as a starter so I'm looking forward to some improvement before LSU.

Nice to have two weeks to shuffle and work in Jackson's replacement on defense as well.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
On these types of replays, the announcers usually harp on the thought that you need to see green between the foot and the white line. It's at an angle, but I see shoe on white there with no intervening grass. I also believe we saw chalk fly up when the foot lifted. If replay is to be effective, it needs to be coupled with consistency.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
On these types of replays, the announcers usually harp on the thought that you need to see green between the foot and the white line. It's at an angle, but I see shoe on white there with no intervening grass. I also believe we saw chalk fly up when the foot lifted. If replay is to be effective, it needs to be coupled with consistency.
You can also tell by the shadow. The shadow begins where the shoe ends...clearly OOB. I just can't accept plays like this.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
It's easy to lose perspective in this gauntlet of games against ranked SEC teams. I have to remind myself that we just beat two top ten teams in a row by healthy margins. Specifically, we took on the undefeated #6 team when they had a bye and we were in our 8th straight week. Still won by 19. 10 straight games with a NOT. Bama is tough.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I figured there had to be one more camera angle we never saw on TV and it would definitely show the foot on the line from an even better look. Very surprised it didn't get overturned.
The pic I posted was blurry because I took a pic of the screen. On my TV it was plain as day. The SEC office simply can't allow plays like this to continue.

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
Don't know what anybody else saw; but I thought Cam had a pretty good showing against Garret. Though, Garret seemed out of shape at times.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.