How will the secondary be reshuffled?

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
There's potentially two parts to the question: Assuming Hootie moves into starting role in base and nickel, who takes Hooties role in Dime, which we have played a LOT this year?

it could push us to have two guys playing in different spots than they were before or do we slide hootie back to his spot in dime for that package and have someone else at the SS spot so we've only got one guy at a new spot in each package.
Wouldn`t at all be surprised if those decisions weren't made around the table yesterday and will be a major point of emphasis starting with the first practice.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Maybe move Humphrey to free safety with Tony taking over at left corner?
NO. That will not happen. You don't take him away and put him at Safety.

I'm thinking they will probably look at Brown/ Hootie Jones back there. I've been wondering about Minkah as well. Slide him over to Safety and allow Tony to take over his spot. Won't miss a beat and Minkah can make plays little easier.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
NO. That will not happen. You don't take him away and put him at Safety.

I'm thinking they will probably look at Brown/ Hootie Jones back there. I've been wondering about Minkah as well. Slide him over to Safety and allow Tony to take over his spot. Won't miss a beat and Minkah can make plays little easier.
Agreed - can't see them moving Hump back to put Brown at CB when they have already been talking about moving Brown to S. Only way that would work is if Hump moved back, Fitz slid over to CB and TB took nickel, but that's a lot of movement.

most likely is that Hootie will get first shot at taking the starting role, with TB in competition and whoever is second takes the Money role in Dime. With the next test being LSU being good on run support will be a major factor which could open up for someone like K Anderson, but that seems like a really long shot. We could also see R Evans end up being the money in dime as he's practiced there before even though it's typically a Strong Safety type role. He's got the speed for it for sure. Harrison has had that spot, with Eddie and Hootie back.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
No way we see Ridley on special teams, IMO. That is, of course, assuming our passing game improves.
Ridley started out returning punts in the first few games so you never know but I also would prefer someone else. The #1 job of the punt returner is catching it and I want that person returning punts.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think it is an interesting thing to chew on during the bye week and it may get our five best DBs on the field but what does Minkah know about the safety positions? Our nickel position does have some similarities in responsibilities to safety but I think Fitzpatrick has gotten more time at the pure corner positions than at the pure safety positions.

I still bet on Hootie Jones starting at strong safety in Tiger Stadium in two weeks but I do think Fitz at free safety is a very interesting choice. He has a similar knack for playing the ball in space that Eddie possess.

BamaFanTN

3rd Team
Mar 1, 2011
Melbourne, FL
Based on Twitter. Minkah posted " Challenge accepted" and Aaron Suttles gave his opinions saying that that might be the case. We'll find out tomorrow at practice.
With Minkah's feel for the game this might be a really good fit for him. He is aggressive, has a nose for the ball, and is physical. Time will tell. I know I feel better knowing he is the one calling the plays even though he is only a sophomore.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Also my predictions on roster decisions this season is like 0/3. Thought Hurts would be the game 1 starter in August. Technically wrong on that one. Thought they wouldn't keep Bozeman at center. Wrong on that one. Thought it would take several weeks before Shank would start at RG. Wrong on that one.

So basically, welcome our new free safety Minkah Fitzpatrick.

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
I'm not sure if I'm liking this move.. But I ain't the ole ball coach either. I'd rather him be locking someone down instead of the field

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I'm not sure if I'm liking this move.. But I ain't the ole ball coach either. I'd rather him be locking someone down instead of the field
Why not? Tony can handle that. Shoot, Carter can handle that as well. I like this move because Tony is very physical, so I'm willing to bet that Pruitt will find a way to use him in blitz package.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
foggy memory, but a lot of his interceptions seemed to be something where he slid up underneath a receiver. Especially in that Arkansas game...very safety like in some ways.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.