JessN: Texas A&M recap: Questionable game plan helps sink Aggies, but Bama loses big as well

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Re: Texas A&M recap: Questionable game plan helps sink Aggies, but Bama loses big as

JessN's preview and postgame articles always trend toward the cool, conservative interpretation; you know what you are going to get. I for one am glad to see an objective interpretation of Hurts' upside and his downside, which is something that has raised some hackles in other threads. I think B1G is correct up to a point, in that we did dominate that game in terms of overall physicality and tempo. In addition to the game itself, my evidence is that CNS himself used the word "dominant" (minus some mistakes and missed opportunities of course) to describe the team's performance in his halftime interview and again after the game. Given how rarely you hear CNS say that, much less at halftime, I think we have to admit that the flow of the game was never as close as the 7-13 or 14 -13 scores would have lead one to expect. But I think JessN is right to point out that as long as our offense remains mistake prone in the red zone, erratic in the passing game, nerve-wracking in the field goal kicking, we have to admit that a quality team has at least a puncher's chance, if not better. Remember, we needed every opportunity and point to beat Clemson last year. The fact that there are so many TF posters clamoring for more running plays is a sign that our passing is not really effective. We have by far and away the deepest receiving corps of Saban's tenure, and we can't get any consistency -- this is a real fact, even if the defense is so good that we can cover it up like Area 51. Hurts' INT was covered by Humphrey's INT. We give their offense the ball in good field position, and our defense flips the field by producing 4th and forever and a long punt return. Our defense can cover for many blemishes, but that doesn't mean the blemishes aren't there.

Now, as for being built to come back, I think here I disagree with JessN a bit. You can come from behind with 8 minutes to go without a great passing game, IF your running offense is so dominant that the other team can't stop it. Ingram's wildcat comeback -- they knew what we were going to do but couldn't stop it anyway. The same point can be shown from a failure -- most of us believe we'd already have 17 if we had just "run Henry left" instead of throwing a sneaky pass to the endzone. What is unstoppable is unstoppable, period. We could be a triple option run team with a mere gesture to passing and probably be very effective this year. But that is not balanced; and would Kiffin actually do that!?!?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Re: Texas A&M recap: Questionable game plan helps sink Aggies, but Bama loses big as

The only concern I'm beginning to have is Hurts' struggles in the passing game. I think he'***** that part of his development where he struggles. McElroy, McCarron and Sims both went through it. It seems Hurts is going through that with the passing game. He's missing badly on a lot of throws. Thank goodness his legs have compensated for it. I'm just concerned what happens when we get into a game when the other team stops our run and forces us to beat them by passing.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia

* Midrange/long-range passing is a QB issue right now not only because of issues of understanding, but also arm/footwork mechanics, experience in the system and timing.

This is why, to me, it appears some of the WRs have underperformed. There are only so many passes being thrown. When people are open its not a sure thing that he can get them the ball. Blocking and running w/short passes are probably why the two starters see most of the snaps. Plus, its much easier for Jalen to run as opposed to continue to look downfield for a open receiver. I agree, we are wasting some major talent but the goal is to win so here we are. :)

This is all wonderful. Very good reads. It is concerning with Hurts' accuracy given the WR corps. I'm just glad we have a defense so good that three and outs are working just as good as turnovers. They get a turnover it seems it's always three and out. We usually score.

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus [emoji336] using Tapatalk

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

The only concern I'm beginning to have is Hurts' struggles in the passing game. I think he'***** that part of his development where he struggles. McElroy, McCarron and Sims both went through it. It seems Hurts is going through that with the passing game. He's missing badly on a lot of throws. Thank goodness his legs have compensated for it. I'm just concerned what happens when we get into a game when the other team stops our run and forces us to beat them by passing.
I agree. I can't remember which thread, but I wanted to say to someone in it that he is starting to see DC's adapt to defend him. These coordinators aren't a bunch of dummies at this level. Hurts is a true freshman and they see different things that can limit his effectiveness. Experience will help him as we go through the year.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

This is all wonderful. Very good reads. It is concerning with Hurts' accuracy given the WR corps. I'm just glad we have a defense so good that three and outs are working just as good as turnovers. They get a turnover it seems it's always three and out. We usually score.

You mention the ONE WORD that has me most concerned about JH: ACCURACY.

He's answered almost every question we might have about a true freshman: composure, intelligence, leadership and performance (in almost every phase) but the one weakness I see is his accuracy on almost all of his passes.

He rarely hits a guy in stride no matter the length of the pass. Even a "wide open" receiver 10-20 yards away usually has to make a major adjustment...sometimes they even have to stop the route.

Some of this is probably due to "timing" and getting used to the speed of the game, but everytime he throws a pass that is 3-5 yards off on accuracy I begin to wonder if this is really his achilles heal.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Well then, we'll just have to blow everyone out won't we?

Seriously, I understand what JessN is saying about Alabama being able to come back. Every team has its weakness. It's just something we're going to have to deal with this season, and hope it doesn't become a factor. Just like now we've got to hope the loss of Eddie Jackson doesn't cost us. Because as much as I like the guys trying to fill the void in the secondary, they aren't Jackson and probably won't be for the rest of the season.

You mention the ONE WORD that has me most concerned about JH: ACCURACY.

He's answered almost every question we might have about a true freshman: composure, intelligence, leadership and performance (in almost every phase) but the one weakness I see is his accuracy on almost all of his passes.

He rarely hits a guy in stride no matter the length of the pass. Even a "wide open" receiver 10-20 yards away usually has to make a major adjustment...sometimes they even have to stop the route.

Some of this is probably due to "timing" and getting used to the speed of the game, but everytime he throws a pass that is 3-5 yards off on accuracy I begin to wonder if this is really his achilles heal.
It's what Gary brought out during I think the UT game. WRs at this level can outrun your arm and he still hasn't figured that out. He actually makes great decisions with his choice but waits one second too long. Even on Stewart's pass he has beaten the CB badly and it was under thrown. Still he over threw Ridley on two. These two weeks are key
For his development as it has been for all QBs in the past. All have struggled in the passing game, but they've made progress here.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

It's what Gary brought out during I think the UT game. WRs at this level can outrun your arm and he still hasn't figured that out. He actually makes great decisions with his choice but waits one second too long. Even on Stewart's pass he has beaten the CB badly and it was under thrown. Still he over threw Ridley on two. These two weeks are key
For his development as it has been for all QBs in the past. All have struggled in the passing game, but they've made progress here.

I hope you are right. I think the speed of the game is something he'll continue to adjust to. I wish he could hit a big one downfield to Ridley in stride. It might do wonders for his confidence.

But let's face it, this is probably something we'll have to live with until probably next year. Probably hard to fix most of this in the course of the season. Just hope we are good enough in the other phases to get by with it. It is what it is...at least for now.

I hope you are right. I think the speed of the game is something he'll continue to adjust to. I wish he could hit a big one downfield to Ridley in stride. It might do wonders for his confidence.

But let's face it, this is probably something we'll have to live with until probably next year. Probably hard to fix most of this in the course of the season. Just hope we are good enough in the other phases to get by with it. It is what it is...at least for now.
What's crazy is that he has before and he's been able to zip them to receivers as well. Still though, the run game is devastating enough. Probably more than any defense can handle.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999

This is why, to me, it appears some of the WRs have underperformed. There are only so many passes being thrown. When people are open its not a sure thing that he can get them the ball. Blocking and running w/short passes are probably why the two starters see most of the snaps. Plus, its much easier for Jalen to run as opposed to continue to look downfield for a open receiver. I agree, we are wasting some major talent but the goal is to win so here we are. :)
There's one other factor with the WRs that needs to be mentioned: The ability (or lack thereof) to get open in the first place. We've had guys running free all year but it's typically Stewart, Howard or Ridley. Howard has really improved this year and made himself a lot of money because of his improvement in blocking and actually getting separation.

Of the others, Dieter is quite good at creating separation for himself; his issue so far has been more of dropping passes. But Foster and Sims have struggled with it. I was not expecting that out of either guy, particularly not Sims after seeing him do it well all spring. Heck, the best of the second-line guys at getting open may very well be Diggs.

Either that's the core issue, or it's a combination of that plus Hurts locking onto his top two guys too much. If so he's only about the one millioneth young quarterback to do so. But he's going to find out sooner or later that he can create more openings for Ridley and Stewart if he occasionally treats the H and Y receivers as more than just decoys.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch

Thanks for a great discussion.

I rewatched the Ole Miss game last night - there is an "in 40 mins" edit on youtube, well worth it. Hurts was throwing the ball much better in that game than the aTm game. He is in a bit of a mid-season rookie slump, which is exactly what McElroy went though during his championship season. So, slumps are ok, but we are all holding our breath for him to break out of it, at which point we can all buy tickets to Tampa.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.