Opponents holding our D-line...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This sounds eerily familiar to some stuff posted in the college officiating thread. I don't think anyone across the college football landscape can argue that this had been a very down year in officiating.
It is. The situation was so bad last night, I thought it deserved its own thread and didn't want to bury it in the postgame...

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
It is. The situation was so bad last night, I thought it deserved its own thread and didn't want to bury it in the postgame...
It's not just with us though. As someone else pointed out, we were the team that had the least penalized opponents in our games all season, until last night. That honor now belongs to osu.

Love them or not, you have to respect the pure talent on their team. And you're telling me two of arguably the most talent rich teams in the country play teams that decide to not commit any penalties in those particular games?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It's not just with us though. As someone else pointed out, we were the team that had the least penalized opponents in our games all season, until last night. That honor now belongs to osu.

Love them or not, you have to respect the pure talent on their team. And you're telling me two of arguably the most talent rich teams in the country play teams that decide to not commit any penalties in those particular games?
The opponents who whine about our advantage with the officials either don't know about this stat or conveniently ignore it. Even heavily penalized teams walk away with fewer penalties after playing us - and then whine about it. It's a loser mentality, of course...

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
We send a tape and I bet a couple of more teams will get to have their bye before Bama. Thanks for nothing SEC!!

My bugaboo is when the guy is completely bye the OL and then the hold happens. Those are EASY to see and call. No excuses and we should be ticked. CNS should use his platform. It's time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
The opponents who whine about our advantage with the officials either don't know about this stat or conveniently ignore it. Even heavily penalized teams walk away with fewer penalties after playing us - and then whine about it. It's a loser mentality, of course...
Just so people don't think this is homer talk....

Proof we were until yesterday the team whose opponents were least penalized

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/opponent-penalties-per-game

And wow, lucky us, were 124 out of 128 for penalty yards against our opponents

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/opponent-penalty-yards-per-game

Last edited:

Highway59

1st Team
Jan 29, 2009
In Alabama off "highway59"
I had not saw this mentioned yet either, the act of the officials ignoring this
adds to the fatiguing of our ball players. They are asked to endure dragging
290lb extra as they try to make plays.... The play that this happens on can be plays
that extend a drive by a couple of more series. We are not that deep on the
defensive front, and it would be nice if a sack could kill a drive and get the
good guys off the field. I would think that increases the odds of injury through the
number of plays added, and the fatigue factor being weighed in.

In other words, I didn't notice the Olympic officials giving the 100m sprinter
field a half second head start when Usain Bolt was in the field to make it a
little more competitive finish.

Our guys are that good, and having the officials decide for whatever reason to
turn blind eye is not fair to them..... :rolleye2:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I have lost all respect for all officials, no matter what conference. They are bribed and/or inept and cost teams games but ..... but......but they don't get fired, even when they are repeat offenders. The most you can do to them is give them a week off.

Has any College official every been fired for obvious errors? Does anyone know?

They throw players out for targeting and ref's should be thrown out for targeting one team over another.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
It's always been bad. This year is the worst I can recall. And the SEC office is going to do nothing, because doing anything admits there is a problem, which they will not do. If the national sports media starts to call them out, the reaction is to pressure the media not to do so, not acknowledge and work on a problem.

At some point, though, someone in the media is going to jump all over the stat that apparently only one time has the Alabama defensive front been held. That may be so laughable that even the SEC office can't ignore it. My guess is it'll come up right before LSU, who will be called for holding one or no times. The next week, though, pitiful Clanga will get flagged 15 times and then things will revert right back to type.

Wonder if there are any teams who have had zero holding calls against their opponents?

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Its the "Shaq rules". Shaq was too big and defenders used to hammer him in the paint and the refs never called it.

So maybe our DL is too good and refs know that OL's have to hold us or its a jail break on every other play.

I mean really. No OL in College can hold up against our front. NONE. Hell, some NFL's OL's would have some issues with our front.
First, I have to disagree with the Shaq comparison because I always used to yell about how he used to get away with just pushing people out of the way with his hips and rump on offense and elbows and hands on defense until other guys had no other option but to foul him back. Maybe others feel that way about us. They can't beat us unless they stretch every rule past the limit. However, just like in the NBA, when the refs use the thought that fans don't want to watch games where the officials blow whistles or throw flags every play, the illegal activity just increases. Not to mention, I am convinced that officials have been instructed to do anything that helps offenses. How people watch 65-58 games every week is beyond me.

Last edited:

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
These stats tell it all. How can the top two defenses in the country also be the bottom two in penalties against their opponents? Simple. Refs are consciously choosing to ignore blatent fouls against teams we play. Rather than call the games fair they go out of their way to leveling the field. This should be brought up by someone with a loud voice and make it known to everyone. It is not fair to have to literally beat your opponent and the refs.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Just to add, A&M also got away with horrible holding on our receivers several times in the game. The deep pass down the middle of the field in the 2nd qtr where it looked like Hurts overthrew Ridley probably would have been a touchdown if the A&M DB had not held Ridley by the jersey for the last 15 yards of his route. It's getting pretty bad in several areas, but agree the holding against our D-line is still the worst and most obvious.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.