Opponents holding our D-line...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This was mentioned numerous times in the game thread. I thought it deserved its own thread. It's happened every game but yesterday was the worst. Of course the A&M fans' story is that they had to play us and the refs, which is, of course, stupid - but expected. Of course the officiating was lousy. However, it was pretty much lousy in both directions and A&M got away with a lot they'd prefer to ignore. However, the holding issue is unique to itself. I don't know what's going on. Part of it may be that the stripes are unconsciously (or not?) "leveling the playing field." Or, it may be that they just get worn down, when it goes on play after play and they can't call them all. The "bear hug" seemed to be part of the norm for the A&M OL. My concern is that it's eventually going to cost us a game, when we have only an average (like yesterday) performance. Could have even cost us yesterday, since they have some talent. I hope we're sending video to the SEC office, not that Shaw ever does anything other than back his officials...

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
I know it is not going to be called on every occasion, but statically, the opposition should be called for holding far more frequently then they are. I think the refs are doing some leveling of the play, otherwise, no one would score against us.

And we can't have that now can we?

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
One holding call against Bama's opponents this season- think about that for a moment. It is more than just " leveling" in my mind. I was yelling about this all day yesterday.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Normally I don't expect many holding calls but I did see 3 yesterday (at least 3) where I thought there'll be a flag on that one. Never happened. I was a bit shocked because they were blatant and in view of the refs. I think there's something to that, Earle: refs probably get tired with so many plays these days *and* they don't want to be involved in too many plays either as it would be ridiculous having to call every time someone held our guys. Basically, holding is an indication of lack of talent and lack of technique which a lot of teams don't have. I guess that's just how it goes.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
The thing is once (insert team here) realizes holding is allowed/tolerated it only escalates as the game progresses. Especially when we build a sizeable lead. And the officiating overall is as poor as I've ever seen in the SEC. Sad.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
There have been at LEAST two times this season where the commentators have joked about the lack of holding calls on Alabama. Nobody is wearing a tinfoil hat if a trend is consistent and obvious enough to get brought up twice on national tv. It's unprofessional. Now this isn't a "woe is me, the poor put-upon Bama fan who must endure no end of unfair officiating" because the truth is that the officiating has been bad both ways. But the holds are so obvious and galling and consistent that I just can't fathom why they aren't getting called.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I understand not all of them will be called but the egregious ones have to be called. Especially the ones that lead to big gains, like pretty much all of Knight's scrambles.

One of them was so bad, Allen tried to get away from the block and tackle the ball carrier, but the lineman grabbed him. Allen then went up to the ref and continuously made the holding signal, pleading for the call. Verne and Gary laughed it off, admitting it should have been called

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA
I think, in some cases, it is a "leveling" of the field by officials.

I also tend to think that it's a by-product of the high-tempo, spread offenses. There's so much going on, officials tend to miss a lot.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Its the "Shaq rules". Shaq was too big and defenders used to hammer him in the paint and the refs never called it.

So maybe our DL is too good and refs know that OL's have to hold us or its a jail break on every other play.

I mean really. No OL in College can hold up against our front. NONE. Hell, some NFL's OL's would have some issues with our front.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
...refs probably ... don't want to be involved in too many plays either as it would be ridiculous having to call every time someone held our guys...
If you're right about that, the problem with the refs' thinking (as any semi-competent parent knows) is that the more you turn a blind eye to behaviors, the more those behaviors occur. If Alabama's opponents have reason to believe they won't be called for holding often (if at all), they will tend to give the refs more holding calls to ignore. The best way, actually, for refs to be less involved in the game is for teams to know they will be called for penalties when they should be.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Hard to believe not a single holding call on either team based on all the talent in the dline for both teams. I have not problem admitting that we got away with some holding on Garrett and Hall but aTm got away with a lot as well. Not sure what the right answer is. I probably prefer 0 holding calls in the game vs calling 4 or 5 on each team..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Its bad reffing. Officials go into Bama and Ohio State games with the mindset of not helping the heavy favorite run away with the score.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
This was mentioned numerous times in the game thread. I thought it deserved its own thread. It's happened every game but yesterday was the worst. Of course the A&M fans' story is that they had to play us and the refs, which is, of course, stupid - but expected. Of course the officiating was lousy. However, it was pretty much lousy in both directions and A&M got away with a lot they'd prefer to ignore. However, the holding issue is unique to itself. I don't know what's going on. Part of it may be that the stripes are unconsciously (or not?) "leveling the playing field." Or, it may be that they just get worn down, when it goes on play after play and they can't call them all. The "bear hug" seemed to be part of the norm for the A&M OL. My concern is that it's eventually going to cost us a game, when we have only an average (like yesterday) performance. Could have even cost us yesterday, since they have some talent. I hope we're sending video to the SEC office, not that Shaw ever does anything other than back his officials...
This sounds eerily familiar to some stuff posted in the college officiating thread. I don't think anyone across the college football landscape can argue that this had been a very down year in officiating.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.