Surprisingly, our two toughest remaining threats are power run teams (LSU and AU)

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
LSU and AU both looked legit running the ball this weekend. Fournette is back and rested and LSU is playing with energy. We know OM was not great against the run to begin with and no one had the guts to tackle LF, but it is LSUs MO.

AU looked less like a spread, hurry up team and more like....Bama, offensively- occasional jet sweep, lots of 240 lb running back carries, and a few zone reads here and there.

So, that said..... how does that make you feel?

We have to be able to keep our big guys healthy, or else we will be relying on guys that have not received a ton of reps thus far- Frazier, Ball, Davis, Smith, etc. We don't have Ashawn Robinsons waiting in the wings.

Our pass rush will likely only be 'let loose' if we force a lot of 3rd and longs. LSU and AUs success has largely come because they have stayed ahead of the chains.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Defensively I think we will be fine but we need to work on our passing game or these teams can just stack the box against us. Both of those teams are peaking at the right time.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Neither team really wants to run out of 4 wide, both prefer either base 21 personnel or 11 personnel. I think TAMU presented the biggest schematic problems for us because they're pretty comfortable running out of 4-wide personnel. Auburn really tests your eye discipline and LSU challenges you physically. You've got to be in position relative to your keys against Auburn and like to tackle against LSU.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
LSU will be the harder out of the two because Coach O speaks their language, probably is going to be at night, and it's going to be a crazy environment. LSU also is a more talented team that Auburn. But we should win both comfortably if things go good and the focus is there. Both teams play more for first downs rather than home run plays. Point is they play into our defensive strength.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The last two times we've played down in Baton Rouge, the QB had to throw us to victory in the last couple of minutes. Not so sure we're gonna throw our way to victory with this QB right now.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Well, considering A&M was the #1 rushing team in the SEC and we just whipped them, LSU and Barn don't scare me much.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
We have a different definition of "power running game."
There's a lot of misdirection, sure, but it really clicks when we can run it right at you. No coincidence that our leading rushers during this era (excluding Cam, who was a power back in his own right) have been bowling ball type backs. Ben Tate, Mike Dyer, Tre Mason, Cameron Artis-Payne and Peyton Barber. The core of Malzahn's scheme is basically the Wing-T run out of spread formations.

Last edited:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
"Some of these [spread] teams are nothing but loose plays, throw the bubble screen, throw the smoke screen.

They will run the zone play to keep you honest, but everything is spread out. Everything's four wide. Everything's finesse, to get you in space and make you miss a tackle.

But those guys [Auburn and Ohio State] will bloody your nose if you don't watch out."

Pop quiz. Who am I quoting here?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The last two times we've played down in Baton Rouge, the QB had to throw us to victory in the last couple of minutes. Not so sure we're gonna throw our way to victory with this QB right now.
I don't usually join the "lets jump on Kiffin's backside" crowd because most of the time its the execution of the play over the actual play that makes it a bad play, but we have got to run against LSU. The past two times we went down there we had dogfight games we had no business being in because we had offensive coordinators outthinking themselves.

In 2012, Nuss was bound and determined to get AJ the Heisman even when both Yeldon and Lacy were destroying their defense, and no its not an isolated occurrence because he tried it the next week against aTm. They combined for 206 yards and 2 tds on just 22 carries while AJ had a QBR of 46.6 and was 14/27 with 1 td.

In 2014, we threw it 45 times and ran it only 29 times. granted we ran for 3.7 yards a carry.

If we play them like we should then they should be saying no mas by the fourth quarter.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Strength against strength. That has worked in Alabama's favor for a very long time now.

oldtimetider

1st Team
Nov 16, 2008
Both these teams are dangerous. AU is particularly worrisome as they can enter the game with nothing or not much to lose. QB's know they'll havta throw in tight windows...they'll take chances on both D and O. We should win both, but I hope we're leading by 2 or more scores late.

Right in our wheelhouse. This is why the bye at this point is great. I don't know what OL will be able to block Allen AND Payne AND Tomlinson/Hand and then deal with the Rabbits and the Ferrari too?! Not to mention Dion-Hamilton!!! We will be great against what they have.

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus [emoji336] using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Maybe I'm wrong about this but I just don't think Danny Etling or Sean White is good enough to beat this Alabama defense. Both teams will get some rushing yards but at the end of the day the QB will have to beat our defense. Just don't see that happening..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Thinking about this, I think that you want them playing well. You want your team to take them seriously. This seems to yield great results for this Alabama team. When you are focused, you really prepare.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
How do you see that Auburn has less to lose than LSU? Both are playing for shot at Atlanta while hoping for some insurance in case of a 3 way tie.
A&M needs to lose another for us to control our own destiny. All it comes down to. We have no chance in a three way tie because it would come down to east opponents. Ours are Vandy and UGA. Y'all would most likely go in the event of a three way tie, even if we beat you the week prior.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I don't see aTm losing another game. They showed their remaining schedule during our game and if I remember correctly it seemed somewhat soft. Granted, LSU seemingly has new life but let's be honest. New life doesn't change the fact they have a statue as a quarterback who maybe average on a good day. That aTm pass rush will give him a world of problems, IMO. As we saw Saturday, aTm's defensive coaches aren't dummies and have vastly improved that defense. I don't see LSU beating both Bama AND aTm. But as always, I've been wrong so many times before on things. LOL!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.