"Sissy" is a gay slur?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
BYU student before the BYU-Mississippi State game held a sign that said "You can't spell sissy with Mississippi." Some members of the media are apoplectic.
Yes, it is a gay slur. Don't even try to argue it's not.
I would take the sign to mean that Miss. State football players are weak, timid people, not that they are gay. The irony is that the "journalist" in this case is arguing that, if you call someone a weak, timid person, you are calling them gay. Wouldn't that be reinforcing the stereotype?
Let's examine the premise of the media "sissy is a gay slur" folks. Is the state of Mississippi a well-known haven for gay people? Is there some connection between the gay community and Mississippi? Mississippi?
The sign may emphasize gender stereotypes, but women tend to be weaker (especially in terms of upper body strength) than men. If an average men's football team were to play against an opponent composed solely of women, would the men's team be more likely to win or less likely?
Some media types now claim to have the sole and exclusive right to interpret what the word "sissy" means, to misinterpret others, be outraged by that misinterpretation, and thus shut down others speech based on that misinterpretation.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
BYU student before the BYU-Mississippi State game held a sign that said "You can't spell sissy with Mississippi." Some members of the media are apoplectic.

I would take the sign to mean that Miss. State football players are weak, timid people, not that they are gay. The irony is that the "journalist" in this case is arguing that, if you call someone a weak, timid person, you are calling them gay. Wouldn't that be reinforcing the stereotype?
Let's examine the premise of the media "sissy is a gay slur" folks. Is the state of Mississippi a well-known haven for gay people? Is there some connection between the gay community and Mississippi? Mississippi?
The sign may emphasize gender stereotypes, but women tend to be weaker (especially in terms of upper body strength) than men. If an average men's football team were to play against an opponent composed solely of women, would the men's team be more likely to win or less likely?
Some media types now claim to have the sole and exclusive right to interpret what the word "sissy" means, to misinterpret others, be outraged by that misinterpretation, and thus shut down others speech based on that misinterpretation.
Absolutely no disrespect, TW...you're one of my favorite posters. But this type of thinking isn't news. It's been going on at least since Walter Cronkite went on air with an editorial disguised as reporting against the Vietnam Nam War.

"Listen to your betters, audience. If you do what we say, you're a smart little boy (or girl). [Insert condescending pat on the head]

If you don't, you're a benighted cretin and obviously incapable of recognizing our clear intellectual superiority."

Last edited:

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana

Are you trying to apply logic to a narrative?

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Sounds like those in the media who condemned this need to quit being sissies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Family story which I'm sure is not uncommon: in the mid '60s my aunt came home from some early year of high school and heard the family talking about the news. Her parents, my grandparents, not at all intending to be offensive (in fact quite the opposite) referred to black folks as "colored people." She was embarrassed and incensed... didn't they know that this was "racist" and the only acceptable word was "negro"! LOL! Flash forward to 2016 and the most acceptable term (in PC circles) is now "people of color", which, you know, is totally different that "colored people." LOLOLOL.

In my own life I once found myself at a gathering and I referred to "native Americans", which as far as I was aware was appropriate, as opposed to, you know, indians. I was immediately laid into by a young woman who (being Canadian) was certain that this was deeply insensitive and that the "only" correct terminology was "first nations peoples".

So, Tidewater, to fill you in, for about the last 10 years or so I have heard my gay friends refer to themselves as "sissy". As far as I know, nobody else besides gay men came up with this language. For the most part, I believe this was just language used by the group to describe themselves from within. As far as I know, if a gay person heard someone call someone else a sissy in a general context, they didn't automatically assume this was a gay slur, or even that homosexual inclinations had anything to do with it. Now, of course, young people, and people who are young between the ears, can't avoid the conclusion that every use of the word has an explicit reference to homosexuality.

You can't argue with stupid people, young people, and especially media people. So you are going to have to get use to he word "sissy" being the new slur word, at least until the next new slur word comes along.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Family story which I'm sure is not uncommon: in the mid '60s my aunt came home from some early year of high school and heard the family talking about the news. Her parents, my grandparents, not at all intending to be offensive (in fact quite the opposite) referred to black folks as "colored people." She was embarrassed and incensed... didn't they know that this was "racist" and the only acceptable word was "negro"! LOL! Flash forward to 2016 and the most acceptable term (in PC circles) is now "people of color", which, you know, is totally different that "colored people." LOLOLOL.

In my own life I once found myself at a gathering and I referred to "native Americans", which as far as I was aware was appropriate, as opposed to, you know, indians. I was immediately laid into by a young woman who (being Canadian) was certain that this was deeply insensitive and that the "only" correct terminology was "first nations peoples".

So, Tidewater, to fill you in, for about the last 10 years or so I have heard my gay friends refer to themselves as "sissy". As far as I know, nobody else besides gay men came up with this language. For the most part, I believe this was just language used by the group to describe themselves from within. As far as I know, if a gay person heard someone call someone else a sissy in a general context, they didn't automatically assume this was a gay slur, or even that homosexual inclinations had anything to do with it. Now, of course, young people, and people who are young between the ears, can't avoid the conclusion that every use of the word has an explicit reference to homosexuality.

You can't argue with stupid people, young people, and especially media people. So you are going to have to get use to he word "sissy" being the new slur word, at least until the next new slur word comes along.
but we will need these media types to tell us what the word is and how offensive it is.

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
Re: "Sissy" is a gay slur?

I'm with you TW. The only acceptable names to call people nowadays is homophobe, Islamaphobe, racist, bigot, etc. and only if you're a member of a certain group. These are troubling times, indeed.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Re: "Sissy" is a gay slur?

I'm with you TW. The only acceptable names to call people nowadays is homophobe, Islamaphobe, racist, bigot, etc. and only if you're a member of a certain group. These are troubling times, indeed.
you can make fun of the south or southern people. that is always acceptable.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I've called my younger sister 'Sissy' a long time. I don't know, but I'm just glad Bama wears Crimson and White.
This just wouldn't cut it. It looks Sissy!

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
It's all fun and games until you get one of these overly sensitive politically correct sorts in a position of power in the workplace and they start making decisions that negatively impact someone's life. All over something just like what we're kidding and joking about in this thread.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.