Next two conference games to be toughest test of season?

64met

All-American
Oct 12, 2007
IMO, I just don't see LSU or the barn beating us. Neither scares me with their QB play and our defense is just too good to run against for 4quarters. No doubt, loosing EJ will hurt, but I still feel we win both games as long as JH continues to improve and we don't beat ourselves.

RTR!

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
The barn has a winning record at BDS. I think we'll probably win this game, but they've shown over time that they are not intimidated by our stadium or crowd.
I think very few programs are intimidated by crowds or stadiums - Bama certainly isn't, having a winning road, as well as home, record against every SEC program. It's the players and coaches that present the problem. And Bama's players and coaches are better than AU's. They weren't during the early part of the brief time they've been playing in BD. It's a myth that you can throw out the record books when these 2 play. The better team usually wins and big (10+) favorites almost always win. The only exceptions I'm aware of are AU winning in 1949 and 1972, and Bama winning in 1984. In '72 AU finished 10-1 and number 5 in the nation. But Bama was a 16 point favorite and dominant. Yes, anything can happen but rarely does in this series.

IMO, AU's success and resulting media attention is probably helpful. If Bama beats LSU, AU will then become the "great white hope" to end the national nightmare 😊. But it should help Bama to focus. Pruitt's Ds have given up 6 and 10 points to Malzahn's O the last 2 times he faced them with UGA, another rival, and he beat them in the NC game the year prior to that.

Bama has won 6 of 8, with the only 2 AU wins coming from 2 of the best 3 to 5 teams in their history and requiring many fortunate bounces to win by a hair.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
One of our coaching staff made the statement before the season that, if we lost even one starting DB, it would cost us one game. I thought of that statement while watching Eddie ride off. We are thin back there. Tony's being back does help...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
One of our coaching staff made the statement before the season that, if we lost even one starting DB, it would cost us one game. I thought of that statement while watching Eddie ride off. We are thin back there. Tony's being back does help...
This late in the season, I really doubt it. Your next game is in week 9. If you don't have another DB ready by week 9, well, what will next year look like? Lucky to make a bowl game? :wink:

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
As far as playing in a hostile environment, belief is what gets you through all that garbage. I've never seen a team like ours this year. We do not get down. In fact when we've gotten ourselves in a hole, no team can answer the bell like these guys. We've had a very clutch team the last two years. I just don't buy into the whole Tiger stadium at night garbage. BR is and has always been home away from home for us.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think He made that statement with first half of the schedule in mind... and I think he was right. IF we lost DB early in the season, good chance we would be here with 1 or 2 losses. I think Ole miss and TAMU game would be it.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
This could still prove to be true. Perhaps we win the remaining games on our schedule and win the SECCG but if we get to the playoff against Deshaun Watson or Washington's Jake Browning then Eddie's loss could really hurt us.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
I just have a hard time getting all worked up over the LSU game. They run a pro style offense with a pocket passer. Etling isn't a pure statue back there, but he sure isn't Manziel or Marshall. He isn't even Chad Kelly when it comes to running. Saban's defensive scheme is designed to eat these types of offenses up. I know he has transitioned to deal with the spread teams that are the majority of the college game now, but that old playbook is always there as the basis for the defense. LSU has a good defense, they always do, but they better stop Bama cold or I think by the third quarter they are going to have been on the field too long to be able to hold up. Because LSU's won't be able to sustain consistent drives. I respect LF and Guice. I would have loved for either one of them to be wearing crimson. I really do like LF. Everything I have read about him and listened to from him leads me to believe he is a class act, but they will not be able to run like they did against a depleted and beaten down Ole Siss team. Etling will have to keep the Who's on the field on offense and I like our odds with the pass rush we have.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I like to use statistics for actual illumination as opposed to how a drunk uses a lamp (for support, he he).

Auburn's rush total against Arkansas was astounding. Take nothing away from running roughshod, but I do think context can qualify it just a bit.

Texas A/M rushed for 366 yards against Arky...114 against Alabama (their season avg is 251.4 and before the game it was 274.3)

Ole Miss rushed for 150 yards against Arky...101 against Alabama, and 23 of that came on one play on the first drive (season avg is 148.9)

TCU rushed for 195 yards against Arky in a loss...(they average 165.9 in their flag football conference)

Then you have to remember:
a) Auburn had an off week (and may as well have had one the week before)
b) Arky played Alabama and Ole Miss in consecutive games before Auburn showed up

My point being that while Auburn has a decent rushing game, it's equally clear that Arkansas cannot really defend the run anyway. The Hawgs rank 111th in rushing defense. Of course (playing Auburn advocate here), the objection would then be, "But that number is inflated because Auburn rushed for over 500 yards!"

But take that game away and Arkansas still gives up 175.8 yards per game rushing, which would still make them 79th in rush defense. And I would argue the numbers offset since La Tech got way less than their average in the opener.

We will be able to fill in the gaps with more data in upcoming weeks (LSU, Miss State and how Arky performs as well), but I don't think this suddenly turns Auburn into a massive threat (yet). No, we can't just show up and pound our chests, but unless the Aubies get another dimension, I don't think a one dimensional rush game is going to beat us.

Of course, I HAVE been wrong on that before (see 2013 Iron Bowl for the exception to all the rules).

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
dang, you saying that really makes me wish Sheffield had stuck it out.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Good news for us is neither of those teams have the type of QB that gives us fits. Their run games play to our strength.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
dang, you saying that really makes me wish Sheffield had stuck it out.
Or Smith. In answer to the comments above, he made that statement preseason and, given the context, I think he was speaking of a loss early in the season. However, we are still thin back there...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The barn has a winning record at BDS. I think we'll probably win this game, but they've shown over time that they are not intimidated by our stadium or crowd.
The barn has a winning record at both places, but that is all to do with JHS and BDS being too small to support the demand for the game so the game was played in Bham. If we played in T-town during CPB and CGS time then we would be up like 8-9 games in T town. But what does it really matter.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
This year is no different than any other. The two team I worry about most are LSU (because of talent) and Auburn because they live for this game. So, on with the games and the stats from ever computer and stat site I visit have us at least a TD favorite.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
The two teams that stand between us and the playoffs are both run first teams and who ever we put in Jackson place they are going to be about 10 lbs heavier and might be ok against running teams. My concern is that our offense looks worse than any other under Kiffin and we havne't faced any good defenses yet, and LSU and Auburn have defenses that are very solid. I'm sure we've saved a few wrinkes for them but our passing game is non-existent.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.