Next two conference games to be toughest test of season?

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
We could be avg. 50+ a game if CNS had the class of say Spurrier. We could EASILY hung 60 around UT's neck and we left anywhere from 12-18 points on the field against A&M. Every game could have been a slaughter in the box score but style points don't matter like they used to. Winning the SEC battles is all that matters. You have to play the long view now that the season can involve 15 games.

The thing that makes Bama so tough is that matchups matter a great deal in the sec. It's why JessN breaks the games down like he does. LSU strength is a Bama strength and for half a decade now Bama wins that fight. Awbrens has a great front 7 but the secondary???? They will have a time with Calvin and Ardarius and they have literally nobody that will be able to hang with OJ. Sean White is way to sketchy a passer to beat Bama IMO. He misses high and it could be a NOT feast against Bama. We'll see but I think Bama is in great shape to beat both Tigers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I think Kiffin is doing a good job with what he has to work with but our passing offence is 90% smoke and mirrors. How many of Hurts completed passes are jet sweep handoffs. How many are sideline patterns. Great defenses always shut down what you are most comfortable with and make you win with what your not as good at. LSU and Auburn are significantly better defensively than any teams we have faced. The run game is solid and dynamic and should keep us in games but at some point I feel like Hurts is going to have to perform in a more classic roll of hitting passes down the field. I realize they have been protecting him. It's possible that in a desperate situation where safety was no longer an option he could do more. I guess time will tell.

When a NOT occurs the offense loses a possession. If you add in the number of points that Bama would have scored, which is (2.78 pts per possession * 12 NOTS / 8 games = 4.2 pts per game). So, a more accurate depiction of Bama's scoring avg is 37.7 not 33.5. So, this is the highest scoring team in the Kiffin era. And that is likely without the NOT adjustment for the previous two years.

Also did you subtract the NOTs from the previous year's scoring avgs ?

Also, the total offense numbers have been better this year.
[emoji1474] Far better!

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus [emoji336] using Tapatalk

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK

I think you gotta factor the personnel we had for each year, when you have an Amari Cooper in 2014, of course your passing average is going to be higher. Also consider when you have a 2015 season, wherein you play 15 games, your total average should theoretically be lower. I'd say Lane Kiffin could be one of the best offensive coordinators we have had in a lonng time.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
It's going to be extremely difficult to win out, but we can do it if we continue to rush the passer the way we have the last two games.
I've said that every game. The QBs panic and don't do well when we pressure them.
Give em time and some guys will pick us apart.

I want their QBs to be looking forward to crawling in an Ice Tub after our game.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
(Wonders if he should point out that when you only give up 14.9 points per game, it doesn't really matter whether you score 33, 37, or 43.....just so long as you score more than the other team)

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
(Wonders if he should point out that when you only give up 14.9 points per game, it doesn't really matter whether you score 33, 37, or 43.....just so long as you score more than the other team)
That reminds me that I have always thought ranking defenses on yards allowed is completely missing the point. Points scored against defense really is the only thing that matters. I don't care if our defense gives up 800 yards a game(well, it would make an awful game to watch) if they only allow the other team to score 14 points and offense scores in the 30s every game.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.