Poll: Off week poll: Pick your playoff teams

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I listened to a conversation with James Franklin on Sirius College Sports today and if that scenario actually plays out he said it may literally come down to a team being drawn out of a hat. The tiebreaker, as of today, wouldn't provide a clear winner for some reason. That's with all three teams only having the one conference loss. It could very well happen.
I thought the B1G had a better system than the Big 12. I don't understand this drawing out of a hat thingey. It seems pretty simple to me. 1. head-to-head. 2. conference record of opponents. 3. CFP ranking. 4. Largest margin of victory. I mean there are dozens of ways to have a clear tie breaker. All they would have to do is vote on the order and everyone knows what they have to do.

Last edited:

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Yes Washington has weak schedule but I don't see anyone who can beat them left on the schedule. A bunch of 4-3 teams and a 5-2 team. So, they will be the conference champion and be 13-0.
Washington State has improved as the season has progressed and they are undefeated in the conference. They could very well beat the Huskies in the Apple Cup.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
My four would be Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson and ..... Utah?

The top 3 were easy to pick. There are probably 3 or 4 teams that could fit into that 4th slot right now.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
Hate to say it but I honestly believe that Bama will lose 1 and Ohio St. will lose 1 more. I sure hope I'm wrong.
Louisville, Michigan, Washington and Bama.

Last edited:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Tide fans there isn't going to be two teams from ANY conference because one of them would be a non champion and it would set a precedent to allow the selection of a non champion from the SEC and that is why we have the CFP in the first place. The BCS was all about the two best teams. The CFP is all about the four best conference champions. If they had wanted the four best teams they would have expanded the BCS to encompass four teams.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I listened to a conversation with James Franklin on Sirius College Sports today and if that scenario actually plays out he said it may literally come down to a team being drawn out of a hat. The tiebreaker, as of today, wouldn't provide a clear winner for some reason. That's with all three teams only having the one conference loss. It could very well happen.
That is what would happen. #'s 1-5 in their tie-breaker procedure would all be the same and would not determine the division winner.

"The following procedure will determine the representative from each division in the event of a tie:
(a) If two teams are tied, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative.
(b) If three or more teams are tied, steps 1 through 6 will be followed until a determination is made. If only two teams remain tied after any step, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative.

1. The records of the three tied teams will be compared against each other.
2. The records of the three tied teams will be compared within their division.
3. The records of the three teams will be compared against the next highest placed teams in their division in order of finish (4, 5, 6, and 7).
4. The records of the three teams will be compared against all common conference opponents.
5. The team with the best overall winning percentage [excluding exempted games] shall be the representative.
6. The representative will be chosen by random draw."

http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-footbl/archive/081011aaa.html

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
If the Baylor/West Virginia winner beats Oklahoma and wins their other games, the Big XII champ will be XII-0 but might be sitting at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
That is what would happen. #'s 1-5 in their tie-breaker procedure would all be the same and would not determine the division winner.

"The following procedure will determine the representative from each division in the event of a tie:
(a) If two teams are tied, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative.
(b) If three or more teams are tied, steps 1 through 6 will be followed until a determination is made. If only two teams remain tied after any step, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative.

1. The records of the three tied teams will be compared against each other.
2. The records of the three tied teams will be compared within their division.
3. The records of the three teams will be compared against the next highest placed teams in their division in order of finish (4, 5, 6, and 7).
4. The records of the three teams will be compared against all common conference opponents.
5. The team with the best overall winning percentage [excluding exempted games] shall be the representative.
6. The representative will be chosen by random draw."

http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-footbl/archive/081011aaa.html
It gets decided by #5. PSU has 2 losses, so gets eliminated. Then Michigan gets eliminated as OSU would have beaten them head to head. It does not come down to a hat draw.

In other words, PSU is done unless OSU and Michigan both lose twice, which isn't going to happen.

FF4bama

1st Team
Sep 13, 2012
The obvious choices are Alabama, Michigan, Clemson, and Washington.

Honestly though, I think Louisville might be the second best team. They're certainly the team I'd least want to play.
I don't know, CNS has always seemed to live rent-free in Bobby Petrino's head. Bama absolutely crushed some pretty good Arkansas teams while Petrino was the coach there.

I'm thinking it's Alabama, OSU, Clemson and Washington

Last edited:

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
I don't know, CNS has always seemed to live rent-free in Bobby Petrino's head. Bama absolutely crushed some pretty good Arkansas teams while Petrino was the coach there.

I'm thinking it's Alabama, OSU, Clemson and Washington
Yeah, but Petrino never had Lamar Jackson before. I would never be this high on Louisville without him -- the guy is a freak and should scare anyone.

I don't see two teams from the same conference getting in unless the other conferences crap the bed -- if Oklahoma wins the Big XII that's already taken care of, but I'd be surprised to see a one loss Ohio State or Louisville make it over a one loss Washington, even if the Pac-12 isn't good this year.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
I guess I look at it a little differently. I want us to play the best teams because I believe we are better. I believe we could beat Louisville and it wouldn't be as close as it was with Clemson.

However, I don't believe that Louisville is the second best team. They lost to Clemson even though they won the turnover battle 3-5. They allowed Clemson to drive down the field and score a TD in 40 seconds right before the half. While Jackson is probably the best player in America, there are 3 phases to the game. Our defense was built to stop him (or at least severely hamper his production) and I would love for our guys to get the opportunity to show it.

My top 4 are Bama, Washington, Michigan, and Clemson...in that order.
I think you're putting too much stock in the head to head matchup (at Clemson) and not enough in the overall body of work. Look at how each team played NC State in consecutive home games, for example. Clemson has really only played one good game all year, and that's the game vs Louisville. They needed a miracle to beat NC State.

IMO Clemson is losing at FSU this weekend, which could make things interesting.

TampaTide813

Suspended
Dec 16, 2014
I think you're putting too much stock in the head to head matchup (at Clemson) and not enough in the overall body of work. Look at how each team played NC State in consecutive home games, for example. Clemson has really only played one good game all year, and that's the game vs Louisville. They needed a miracle to beat NC State.

IMO Clemson is losing at FSU this weekend, which could make things interesting.
I probably am, but Clemson seems to play well when they have to. Going back to last year they seemed to struggle with any team that was average or better, but they still won them all until the end and they hung with us for 3 1/2 quarters. I just don't put a whole lot of stock in 1 trick pony type teams. If Jackson has even a mediocre half (see Clemson 1st half) they are in trouble. If FSU beats Clemson, of course all bets are off and that opens the door for UL or OSU to sneak back in. I don't think the SEC is getting enough respect this year for a 1 loss aTm to make it (assuming we are the conf. champs).

Should be a very interesting November.

RTR!!!

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Alabama, Ohio State, Washington, Clemson
Mine also, but I'd change the seeding to

1. Bama wins out
2. Clemson wins out
3. Washington wins out
4. Ohio State beats Michigan at home, wins the B1G Conference Championship, and edges out Louisville for the 4-seed

I think we'll see a Championship Game rematch this year, with the same outcome.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.