1,000's of CA soldiers forced to repay enlistment bonuses a decade after going to war

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
i think it is the recruiters that should be paying back the money, not the soldiers
The problem is that most recruiters that were involved with it are out of the military, and the government doesn't want to have years and years of appeals in a civilian court, and the bad PR of discrediting a sergeant major's service record for it. They have had a few instances that they have tried and were successful at it, but the 60 minutes documentary really hurt the image of the national guard because they were going after a few green berets serving out the rest of their enlistment as recruiters. It's far easier for them to punish a multitude of people at one time that can't realistically appeal it to a civilian court. They are willing to take a hit if they get their money back quick and without a pro military judge ruling the other way in a court decision. Sad but true in regards to the government.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Some of these cases are egregious. One guy got a bonus for signing up to be a radio operator for six years. Once he got deployed, they needed a body for another slot he was qualified for. Now, they want to be reimbursed because he didn't stay a radio operator for the agreed term. I don't know for certain, but I'd be willing to bet that the move from radio operator wasn't really a voluntary one...
Not only am I certain you're right but...most soldiers would actually ask at that point about the future receipt of funds since these bonuses are usually paid in separate payments. "Well, will I still get the re-enlistment bonus you promised me." Furthermore (and this is where these cases get weird) bonuses are virtually only paid for careers suffering a MANNING SHORTAGE...so why would you suddenly not need the guy you paid the extra money for? The bonus is often determined by how short a career field is. Lab was paying YUGE bonuses two years before my re-up time came and still paying a partial two years later. I think I got $6,000 for my second enlistment, but it had been over $40,000 two years earlier.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
This is like the other thread. Someone threw out a bunch of promises and everybody got screwed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.