Joe Alleva emails call SEC a ‘joke’, accuse Florida of being scared...

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
What he said was said by many, but he is the senior athletic department official at a major university. That position mandates much higher standards for controlling the message that comes out of one's department. Coupled with how they handled the head coach position near the end of last season, it's evidence of "Bush League" talent in the Who's athletic department.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
What he said was said by many, but he is the senior athletic department official at a major university. That position mandates much higher standards for controlling the message that comes out of one's department. Coupled with how they handled the head coach position near the end of last season, it's evidence of "Bush League" talent in the Who's athletic department.
After what Florida's AD said about him in front of cameras? Really? He has a right to defend himself however he sees fit, to whomever he sees fit.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The whole thing was botched by everyone. No arguing that. This part got me, though:

Although, in an exchange with Chatelain, Alleva suspected Florida knew avoiding a game with LSU secured their spot in a playoff.

"... If they lose they would lose the east. Their schedule is easier than Tennessee (sic) if they wanted to play we would be playing here or there," Alleva wrote after Chatelain questioned why Florida would want to avoid a game with the Tigers.
Remember it was the Baton Rouge media pushing that narrative along with LSU fans. No other group started that talk until the Baton Rouge people wouldn't shut up about it. Makes me believe someone (possibly Alleva) came up with that theory, gave it to the media, and used it in an attempt to make Florida look bad in the whole thing.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I blame Greg Sankey for this whole disaster. When it became evident that things weren't working properly (Georgia and South Carolina got things done, for example) he should have stepped in and got a deal brokered in private. I still believe that is a legitimate expectation from a conference commissioner. JMO.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
After what Florida's AD said about him in front of cameras? Really?
Yes, really. Admittedly, I don't know for certain what your reference to Florida's AD is specifically, but Alleva's comments were certainly bush league IMO. Perhaps Foley's was too....I don't know without researching, and this topic is not worth my time to do that.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I mean, Foley turned down Alleva's offer to host it or play at a neutral site, didn't he?
The situation was more complicated than someone just making a decision on where to play the game.

There's a lot of logistics involved. More than I am prepared to list here but if you listened to Foley's multiple pressers on the situation, he spelled everything out pretty well.

That's the bottom line here.

You also have to keep in mind this was a category 3-4 (and some were predicting could turn into 5) storm bearing down on Florida with eminent damage expected and no guarantee it wouldn't turn inland and perhaps even head towards Baton Rogue.

The tee shirt I posted is simple a response to those suggesting we are chicken to play the corn dogs. Anyone who says that is just plain ignorant as well as probably an LSU homer.

Alleva - regardless of these emails and his actions (or non-actions in some cases) on this matter - is a known ......

Anyone who wants to take his side can feel free to do so.

We'll settle things at their house and on their field in November - one way or another. Hopefully Fournette will be 100% healthy so there won't be any excuses when they get curb stomped!

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
The situation was more complicated than someone just making a decision on where to play the game.

There's a lot of logistics involved. More than I am prepared to list here but if you listened to Foley's multiple pressers on the situation, he spelled everything out pretty well.

That's the bottom line here.

You also have to keep in mind this was a category 3-4 (and some were predicting could turn into 5) storm bearing down on Florida with eminent damage expected and no guarantee it wouldn't turn inland and perhaps even head towards Baton Rogue.

The tee shirt I posted is simple a response to those suggesting we are chicken to play the corn dogs. Anyone who says that is just plain ignorant as well as probably an LSU homer.

Alleva - regardless of these emails and his actions (or non-actions in some cases) on this matter - is a known ......

Anyone who wants to take his side can feel free to do so.

We'll settle things at their house and on their field in November - one way or another. Hopefully Fournette will be 100% healthy so there won't be any excuses when they get curb stomped!
I personally hope ya'll curb stomp them myself.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

The T-shirt should read "It's complicated" then

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Love you, man. We'll never agree about this. This was all on Florida - every bit of it. The site effected was theirs. The delay in decision making was theirs. So the consequences are theirs. End of discussion as far as I am concerned.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Love you, man. We'll never agree about this. This was all on Florida - every bit of it. The site effected was theirs. The delay in decision making was theirs. So the consequences are theirs. End of discussion as far as I am concerned.
It's all on Florida - I agree and I'll take ownership. We cancelled the game and have made arrangements to play it at another date. In addition actions are being taken to avoid a situation like this happening again in the future.

I don't really see what's wrong with that, do you? If so then you are being disrespectful to all who faced, were affected by, and would have been affected by that hurricane.

All the hand wringing and twisted panties are on the 'other' fan base - not us.

A completely separate discussion though is: was the cancellation because we were afraid to play LSU.

In your post you wrote:
Yes, Florida's actions could absolutely be taken as an attempt to avoid the game altogether
If that is truly your belief.....that is where we agree to disagree.

64met

All-American
Oct 12, 2007
Go get Em Bazza! I hope the Gators destroy LSwho. Made big mistake of spending a few minutes on tiger droppings. All I can say is, I need a shower.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Re: Joe Alleva emails call SEC a ‘joke’, accuse Florida of being scared...us

It's all on Florida - I agree and I'll take ownership. We cancelled the game and have made arrangements to play it at another date. In addition actions are being taken to avoid a situation like this happening again in the future.

I don't really see what's wrong with that, do you? If so then you are being disrespectful to all who faced, were affected by, and would have been affected by that hurricane.

A completely separate discussion though is: was the cancellation because we were afraid to play LSU.

In your post you wrote:

You are a great visiting poster and have been beyond respectful towards Bama, so I hate to disagree. But many other athletic events were played in Florida and up and down the East coast that weekend. According to reports, UF even played other athletic events on campus, though I realize the logistics are quite different for a football game. Also, LSU bent over backwards to accommodate UF, including proposing to fly in state and wait to see if the game could be played. It "looks like" UF did not want to play without Del Rio. It's not that they are afraid of LSU, that's preposterous, but it "appears" that they did not want to play that weekend without their starting QB. They have an SEC East title at stake.

Like some others I mostly blame Sankey who has the authority and responsibility to handle such issues. It looks like Foley was either incompetent or that he manipulated the situation to his benefit. Yes, overall Alleva is bad and looks like a typical Louisiana politician, but on this issue, IMO, his irritation with the SEC office and UF is understandable. In his mind he was manipulated by UF with an incompetent SEC standing by. Thus, he lost the opportunity to play a weakened opponent, lost many desperately needed millions for the devastated local economy by a net loss of 1 home game, distorted this years' schedule such that he has to play OM, Bama, UF, Ark and A&M consecutively now with only the bye before Bama - that is brutal. Also, for the second year in a row they lose an easy W. As someone else pointed out, his public communication should be held to a higher standard, but that was ostensibly a private email. I know... But it's hard not to be sympathetic with LSU on this one.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

In your post you wrote:

You are correct about the other fan bases with twisted panties about the game being cancelled. We were there on Wednesday of that week watching them paint the field to get ready for the LSU game. We even saw Foley walking around the field when we took the college tour. The students leading us around the campus were saying that they had already heard that classes were going to be cancelled because of the hurricane for Thursday afternoon through the weekend so they could all leave campus. The hotel we were staying in recieved numerous phone calls from people trying to find a place to stay to get away from the coast. There was quite a bit of uncertainty for the upcoming days because of the hurricane.

I blame the SEC for not going ahead and having an alternate plan in place before this situation even happened for all parties in the conference to sign off on. This happened last year too.

Furthermore about Florida being afraid to play LSU at that time, wasn't Fournette already hurt and LSU hadn't really found a rhythm yet? I know Florida had just lost their QB, but they were getting ready for that game and this isn't like it was Florida A&M getting ready for LSU, so I doubt very seriously Florida was scared to play.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It is a consequence of their actions. You do something like that and people are going to think all sorts of things. And many people did. You saw it here, and if you read other forums, you saw it there. You saw it everywhere across social media. And that is 100% on Florida.

That is what I meant. Was FL trying to duck the game? I seriously doubt it. But their actions produced consequences. And you want to blame those consequences on LSU. Sorry, that is not how the world works.

Again, this is all on Florida. They could have avoided all of this. All of it.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.