Joe Alleva emails call SEC a ‘joke’, accuse Florida of being scared...

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
It seems to me that LSU has been whining about playing Florida for years.

and the idea of whether LSU should be forced to play Florida every year in football was discussed by Tigers Coach Les Miles and Florida Coach Will Muschamp
So apparently, the answer is only when there is a hurricane. And I already know that the LSU fans are going to respond ...blah..blah..blah..[context]..blah..blah..[facts]...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
It is a consequence of their actions. You do something like that and people are going to think all sorts of things. And many people did. You saw it here, and if you read other forums, you saw it there. You saw it everywhere across social media. And that is 100% on Florida.
No - that is on certain sports media and personalities who love to stir things up. Things could have been handled with much more class. Like I said...very disrespectful to those who live in Florida and were impacted by the storm.

That is what I meant. Was FL trying to duck the game? I seriously doubt it.
Bingo and that's the really stupid part of all this - that were were trying to avoid playing LSU. We play them EVERY year.....with Fournette out - we were trying to avoid playing them? That's just plain idiotic!

But their actions produced consequences. And you want to blame those consequences on LSU. Sorry, that is not how the world works.
They're guilty of saying some pretty stupid things. Don't take my word for it - it's pretty well documented. You would think a program from a state that itself has had devastation from natural disasters would show a little more class...

Again, this is all on Florida. They could have avoided all of this. All of it.
Thanks....duly noted....:rolleyes:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The whole thing was botched by everyone. No arguing that. This part got me, though:

Remember it was the Baton Rouge media pushing that narrative along with LSU fans. No other group started that talk until the Baton Rouge people wouldn't shut up about it.
I'm 90% in agreement with you but there was another group REALLY busting a cerebral vein over this game:

Butch Jones and the sniveling orange handkerchiefs in Knoxville

Makes me believe someone (possibly Alleva) came up with that theory, gave it to the media, and used it in an attempt to make Florida look bad in the whole thing.

Well, LSU lost any moral high ground (assuming it actually existed) when Alleva made this crack: ""I'm not in favor of playing a game on that day, unless Alabama also plays a game on that day."

Note something else - AT THE TIME, LSU homer Tim Brando blasted Alleva as well.

So the notion Florida ALONE is to blame for this is absurd.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
After what Florida's AD said about him in front of cameras? Really? He has a right to defend himself however he sees fit, to whomever he sees fit.
Just out of curiosity....what did the Florida AD say and when?

Because if Foley said it AFTER 8:59pm on October 6, this can in no way be called 'defending one's self' on Alleva's part, particularly since it's not like he came out and said something.

Now to be fair - I put this whole think on Sankey. I honestly don't get why they couldn't say, "Go to Atlanta and play in the GA Dome and they'll reschedule the tiny game already set for there for the second game of a doubleheader for the fans."

Florida didn't look good but part of that was because of the PR campaign both Tennessee and LSU began. Btw - some of you may recall this same scenario of blame shifting going on in another realm when that really big hurricane hit Louisiana back in 2005. My ex-FIL is a native Cajun but that pontificating bully way Alleva used seems to be native to a lot of Louisianans (at least those in the public eye) just as arrogance is native to so many Texans. I'll leave it at that.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Just out of curiosity....what did the Florida AD say and when?
"The conference office asked us to find a solution in working with LSU, yet LSU was never a true partner in our discussions." Who was that shot directed at, and how was it any more professional than this stuff?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
"The conference office asked us to find a solution in working with LSU, yet LSU was never a true partner in our discussions." Who was that shot directed at, and how was it any more professional than this stuff?
I never said it was professional but surely you understand the difference in having the stones to say your mind to the world versus being a weasel in an email who is saying the other school is lacking stones.

Thanks, however, because I thought that was the quote you were talking about, but I wasn't sure. Problem is that Foley made that remark on October 13 - a FULL WEEK after Alleva was sending emails suggesting Florida was afraid to play LSU because they're 'afraid they'll lose the East.'

So we can't exactly say Alleva was defending himself about a remark Foley had not yet made was my point.

Now that being said - it's the SEC commissioner who looks like the biggest dolt in the whole thing. And I've said my piece before - in light of Alabama's ducking out on a game with Texas A/M (and even some Bama fans in 1988 thought that Curry was doing it because the quarterback was injured), I question how many of us oldster Bama fans here can really criticize either school that much, even though it's kind of funny to watch the other programs floundering knowing how they used to laugh hysterical at Alabama.

Florida got ripped but mostly because the Sankey didn't do HIS job. I don't blame LSU OR Florida or even assign much to it, but I will note that the LSU argument 'Florida doesn't want to play' is not only self-serving but also disingenuous...do ANY of you think for a second that LSU doesn't ALSO realize that if THEY beat Alabama but didn't play that game (and, of course, Alabama beat Auburn) then......LSU would benefit, too?

That's the main reason this argument has never made sense to me. LSU can gain a conference title just as easily as Florida with that half-game edge IF they can beat Alabama (and, of course, win out).

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
never mind...
I'm thinking he's talking mostly about Clay Travis, the Vols schmoozer, who really circulated the 'Florida fears the game' nonsense. But let me reiterate that I think the game should have been played and Sankey should have done his job and not left it up to two guys looking out for their schools' prospective bowl games, either.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I never said it was professional but surely you understand the difference in having the stones to say your mind to the world versus being a weasel in an email who is saying the other school is lacking stones.

Thanks, however, because I thought that was the quote you were talking about, but I wasn't sure. Problem is that Foley made that remark on October 13 - a FULL WEEK after Alleva was sending emails suggesting Florida was afraid to play LSU because they're 'afraid they'll lose the East.'

So we can't exactly say Alleva was defending himself about a remark Foley had not yet made was my point.

Now that being said - it's the SEC commissioner who looks like the biggest dolt in the whole thing. And I've said my piece before - in light of Alabama's ducking out on a game with Texas A/M (and even some Bama fans in 1988 thought that Curry was doing it because the quarterback was injured), I question how many of us oldster Bama fans here can really criticize either school that much, even though it's kind of funny to watch the other programs floundering knowing how they used to laugh hysterical at Alabama.

Florida got ripped but mostly because the Sankey didn't do HIS job. I don't blame LSU OR Florida or even assign much to it, but I will note that the LSU argument 'Florida doesn't want to play' is not only self-serving but also disingenuous...do ANY of you think for a second that LSU doesn't ALSO realize that if THEY beat Alabama but didn't play that game (and, of course, Alabama beat Auburn) then......LSU would benefit, too?

That's the main reason this argument has never made sense to me. LSU can gain a conference title just as easily as Florida with that half-game edge IF they can beat Alabama (and, of course, win out).
Both ADs acted like children, and the SEC commissioner failed to properly mediate this fight between children. I know that the B1G is a train wreck with respect our leadership, but this makes me feel a lot better. Delaney is still an idiot, as is the Big 12 commish. Seems like these idiots are running all of the P5 conferences.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

If Bama and LSU ended the season with one loss each but Bama had an extra win, wouldn't that put Bama at the top even though they lost head-to-head? Alabama would have the highest winning percentage. I think LSU would need the UF game to get that additional win.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If Bama and LSU ended the season with one loss each but Bama had an extra win, wouldn't that put Bama at the top even though they lost head-to-head? Alabama would have the highest winning percentage. I think LSU would need the UF game to get that additional win.
You're right, I got it backwards. They'd need us to lose AND Auburn to lose. Never mind, I screwed up.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.