Thinking about going back to college

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
So as I'm now 30 years old, I'm having somewhat of a quarter life crisis :biggrin:. I'm having a lot of regrets in my life. One was not playing softball in colllege. I was engaged at the time, but that didn't work out, and I quit softball because of that reason. Big mistake. The second was not finishing my nursing degree. I got two semesters in and made a 74.5 in one class which is failing. I decided not to continue with nursing so I ended up getting a business degree. Another big mistake. I should have continued on with my nursing degree. I'm a hands on learner. I don't have much critical thinking skills nor do I have tons of common sense. On nursing tests, you must pick the best answer even if there may be three acceptable ones. I do better with being shown what to do.

So here I am contemplating going back to school, but even though I was smart in high school, I'm now dumber than a box of rocks. I just don't know how I would fare working and going to school. I'm afraid of failing again. I wouldn't even know where to begin, but I don't want to be wishing years from now that I would have went back when I was thirty.

So has anybody here done this before? Share your experiences.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Do it.

I worked all thru school. At first I worked garbage jobs, but I later got work in various architecture firms to gain experience. I was tired all the time. I rarely slept, but well worth it to finally do what I want to do and not what I have to do.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Do I have to take another ACT/SAT since it's been years since high school? Is it the same as just out of high school meaning I have to take all the maths, sciences, English classes before I can get into the program? Just not sure how it all works.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Since you already have one degree, you would not need to take the ACT again. However, some programs (such as nursing) may have certain standards for admission.

I wish you well. I wouldn't worry about the one bad grade you had before. You were at a different time in your life and now should be much more focused and be better prepared.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Hey Jessica....

Never sell yourself short! We all have regrets but the important thing is to keep going and try to use the past as motivation for the future.

My only suggestion is to get in touch with some guidance counselors at some nearby schools....maybe even trade schools or community colleges. Ask them for their opinion. You might be able to do some of this via phone even.

Are there any employment counselors you could also speak to? Does the state of Alabama have an employment commission?

I'm sure you will get a lot of suggestions and opinions here to consider and explore.

Keep your chin up - you have a lot going for you and will figure it out.

Please keep us posted and good luck!

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
Whatever you decide to major in just ask about the prereqs, such as math, and you can use Khan Academy or something similar to brush up on those topics. If a major requires a lot of a certain prereq, like economics with math, they usually have a course that gives what you need for that major.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
So as I'm now 30 years old, I'm having somewhat of a quarter life crisis :biggrin:. I'm having a lot of regrets in my life. One was not playing softball in colllege. I was engaged at the time, but that didn't work out, and I quit softball because of that reason. Big mistake. The second was not finishing my nursing degree. I got two semesters in and made a 74.5 in one class which is failing. I decided not to continue with nursing so I ended up getting a business degree. Another big mistake. I should have continued on with my nursing degree. I'm a hands on learner. I don't have much critical thinking skills nor do I have tons of common sense. On nursing tests, you must pick the best answer even if there may be three acceptable ones. I do better with being shown what to do.

So here I am contemplating going back to school, but even though I was smart in high school, I'm now dumber than a box of rocks. I just don't know how I would fare working and going to school. I'm afraid of failing again. I wouldn't even know where to begin, but I don't want to be wishing years from now that I would have went back when I was thirty.

Ok, my experience.

I always wanted to be a musician. Other than fourth grade chorus, I had never taken a music class. I went to (first) a community college followed by a small southern university and graduated with Honors in Music Education.

Then I joined the military for 12.5 years. While there I completed an Associate's Degree in the Lab and gained my MLT certification (the lower of the two levels).

Then I got the itch and despite being told nobody gets selected on first try, was selected to go to medical school through the US Air Force. Developed health problems during my tenure and failed worldwide qualification - discharged 7.5 years from retirement.

Got out with a 60% disability rating. Had always wanted to attend seminary so I used my GI bill and was privileged enough to write a thesis approved by the world's leading authority in Greek grammar.

Then went back after 23 years and got my Bachelor's Degree in Lab. Gained my HIGHER level certification (only the ASCP version of that is left for me to attain there).

The only way you're guaranteed to hit what you aim at is to aim at nothing. Oftentimes the greatest successes are marked by more failures than success. A truly great baseball player can get a hit 1 out of every 3 times at bat - the other two times, he fails (on average).

Ronald Reagan wanted to a sportscaster so he became one. Then he wanted to be an actor, so he became one (and was mercilessly mocked for the low quality of his movies). Then he wanted to be governor - and was. Then he wanted to be President and it took him three shots, but he succeeded the last time.

Do what you want, but do it right and for the right reason.

PS When I hit thirty (in 1999), I had a mid-life crisis myself. Speaking to a lady who is only three weeks older than I a few years later, I learned she had the same problem.

It's probably not a good idea to get an insane tattoo, though. Not yet anyway.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

First things first: Do what makes you happy. I was 32 when I started over again, getting my BSN from Alabama and my MSN from UAB. I had two kids when I started and had another 6 months after I started for a total of 3 and I worked sometimes 2-3 jobs - one FT and others PT - the whole while. I mainly worked weekends and evenings/nights while going to school 3-5 days/week. Not sure of your family situation, but if I can do it then anybody can do it. You must be determined, disciplined, and have someone to tell you not to quit when you want to do just that. It will be hard, especially if nursing is your desired plan.

And yes, unlike most degrees nursing requires more than just a normal "C", even though C=RN. 74.5 or 74.9 doesn't cut it, which means you have to prepare extra hard to succeed. Your patients will appreciate that dedication, though.

You also do have to choose the best of possibly 4 correct answers. That means you must read the question to understand exactly what is being asked and then understand your priorities within that context to choose the right one. Most people have no appreciation of just how difficult it is to get to that level of competence, pass the tests in school and the NCLEX, and put what you learned into practice. "Just a nurse" wil become a phrase that makes your eyeballs bulge.

If nursing is the plan, then check out UAB. They have a program tailored to graduates in other fields who want to enter nursing. It is called the Accelerated Master's in Nursing Pathway. Info here: http://www.uab.edu/nursing/home/student-information/acad-prog/amnp It is mainly for if you desire a master's in Nursing and I believe there are several options as far as the specialties are concerned. Well worth looking into, but I believe these are traditional classes and not distance learning, which means you need to be close to campus and arrange your work schedule around your classes. You'll need to devote 40 or more hours each week to classes and coursework, so if you need to work you will likely need somewhat reduced hours and/or nontraditional hours. For instance, I worked from 24-40 hours on 1 job, concentrated between Friday evening and Sunday evening plus 1-3 days during the week on other jobs. I also was not in an accelerated program like this as I had to go through just like I had just gotten out of high school.

Bottom line: If you really want to do it and can pretend you have no social life then you can do it. Good luck.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
At 64 (in November) I wish I were 30 and could go back to school. Just being 30 again would be cool. But, yeah, do it! You're smarter than you think. You're writing skills are a big plus.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Ok, my experience.

I always wanted to be a musician. Other than fourth grade chorus, I had never taken a music class. I went to (first) a community college followed by a small southern university and graduated with Honors in Music Education.

Then I joined the military for 12.5 years. While there I completed an Associate's Degree in the Lab and gained my MLT certification (the lower of the two levels).

Then I got the itch and despite being told nobody gets selected on first try, was selected to go to medical school through the US Air Force. Developed health problems during my tenure and failed worldwide qualification - discharged 7.5 years from retirement.

Got out with a 60% disability rating. Had always wanted to attend seminary so I used my GI bill and was privileged enough to write a thesis approved by the world's leading authority in Greek grammar.

Then went back after 23 years and got my Bachelor's Degree in Lab. Gained my HIGHER level certification (only the ASCP version of that is left for me to attain there).

The only way you're guaranteed to hit what you aim at is to aim at nothing. Oftentimes the greatest successes are marked by more failures than success. A truly great baseball player can get a hit 1 out of every 3 times at bat - the other two times, he fails (on average).

Ronald Reagan wanted to a sportscaster so he became one. Then he wanted to be an actor, so he became one (and was mercilessly mocked for the low quality of his movies). Then he wanted to be governor - and was. Then he wanted to be President and it took him three shots, but he succeeded the last time.

Do what you want, but do it right and for the right reason.

PS When I hit thirty (in 1999), I had a mid-life crisis myself. Speaking to a lady who is only three weeks older than I a few years later, I learned she had the same problem.

It's probably not a good idea to get an insane tattoo, though. Not yet anyway.
That's the thing though (and thanks for sharing) - you never stop struggling for a higher level and it often takes several attempts to get to where you desire to go.

I've sold computers and cars. I've delivered pizza's at 30yo as a second job. I was an LPN, tried my hand at sales and management, done computer repair and basic networking, and then more or less figured out what I wanted to do.

Heck, I am still figuring some things out. I'm an FNP now working in rural health again, but I have background in urgent/emergency as well. I am currently developing some ideas for articles, research, and education; but the primary focus now is on my practice.

I was 40 when I graduated with my MSN. Since then it's been more about finding the right niche. I'm in a very good, even if not perfect, situation now and there is plenty of room left for growth. The challenges here are daunting at times due to location/resources and that's before mentioning the needed recruitment and development of staff. I may have to take on more here in that regard before I can branch out to other endeavors. I am fortunate to be in a quickly growing field with expanding opportunities. My goal here is to expand access to primary care, develop infrastructure, expand specialty access locally (most specialties are 2-4 hours away), and expand my own practice to be able to fill some of the holes while also catering to some of my interests. There is lots to do and I'm not at all certain I will be successful in any one or all aspects. Now that I know the lay of the land I still have to learn the rocks and potholes and workarounds.

In other words, as long as you are challenging yourself the challenges never stop.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Nursing is one of those degrees where I think it should be longer than the 16-18 months it takes to become an RN. Back in the day, they bundled maternity and pediatrics together. That should be separate IMO. I've always wanted to do something in the medical field, but I also like business, even though dealing with the public is hard at times.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not married nor do I have an kids, and I have a good living situation at the moment, even though I am actively searching for a house. I don't have a social life as I work all the time in our family business so that doesn't concern me. It would be the best time now to go back.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA

I'll offer up two pieces of advice.

1) Don't be so hard on yourself. You are not "dumber than a box of rocks". You've got job experience which comes with a certain level of intelligence and critical thinking. And don't worry about failing. It is through failure that we learn the most.

2) Examine why you want to go back to school. School will come with a hefty price tag and require lots of work. Make sure you are doing it for the right reasons and not just as a reaction to your quarter life crisis. I know several people that made the decision to go back to school as a reaction to an event like a quarter life crisis. They ended up not finishing because it wasn't something they really wanted to do. They are out the time and money they spent and are still unfulfilled. All that is to say - take your time. Don't rush into a decision. You are doing the right thing by researching the idea here with a varied group of people with different experiences.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i went back to school and got a masters degree in a completely new field at 32. it was well worth it. i just treated it like a job and the 2 years went by surprisingly quick.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida

Jessica, if nursing is what you want to do, go for it! One great thing about nursing is that you can go as fast/slow as your schedule allows. My wife has been adding nursing degrees since she came to the U.S. She got her associates degree while learning English. Then she got her BSN while working to pay the bills. She is really good at training new nurses, so a few years ago she got her MSN in Nursing Education and teaches at the university on the side. After specializing in labor/deliver and then ICU, she decided she wanted to pursue anesthesiology and went back to school for 2.5 years. Now she is considering here doctorate so she can teach in the graduate nursing fields. There are a wide variety of specialties, and some nurses like my wife make more money than many doctors. It's an incredible field.

And with your business background, you could set yourself up for hospital administration and make a sizeable income. I know a couple of people who have gone this route as well.

You're not starting over; you're adding on to what you already know.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I don't have much critical thinking skills nor do I have tons of common sense. On nursing tests, you must pick the best answer even if there may be three acceptable ones. I do better with being shown what to do.

So here I am contemplating going back to school, but even though I was smart in high school, I'm now dumber than a box of rocks. I just don't know how I would fare working and going to school. I'm afraid of failing again.
First of all, after having read a few thousand of your posts over the years, I've never read anything that made me think you lacked common sense or critical thinking skills. At least no more so than the rest of us. :biggrin2:

Second, you communicate your thoughts well, so you are definitely not dumber than a box of rocks. I've always thought that the most important part of being able to succeed in college and get a degree is not being really smart. It's determination and a willingness to work hard at it. If somebody has average intelligence and those two things they can get a degree. Not saying they can get ANY degree. Some things require the right kind of mind like organic chemistry. I did great in other biology and chemistry classes, but darn near killed myself to get a C in both organic chem classes. Honestly, I'm 99% sure I didn't "earn" a C in the second class. I think my professor gave me the "benefit of the doubt" because he knew how much I put into it. I may have been able to pass the classes, but you have to be able to think in a certain way to be good at it. I just can't think that way and never would have been good at it.

But, with your intelligence, I think you can get your degree (bachelors, RN, etc.) with hard work.

When I was in my late 30's, I decided I had had enough of the field I was in. Burned out from work that was originally challenging but had gotten dull. So, I decided to change careers and embarked on a journey in a field I had been interested in since college, but had written off because I was making pretty good money and had job security (if not a ton of room for advancement). I didn't go back to college, but the change involved about 20 classes and an apprenticeship that lasted about four years. During which time I was making significantly less than I did in the field I was previously in. My first year as a trainee/apprentice, I didn't even make minimum wage and spent about 30% of what I made paying for classes and travel and lodging where they were offered. But, Mr's Catfish was making good money so we got by. Now, I'm doing what I've pretty much always wanted to do and loving it.

If you want to go back to school, go for it. I don't personally know anybody who did and regrets it. But, I know a few who regret NOT doing it.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Nursing is one of those degrees where I think it should be longer than the 16-18 months it takes to become an RN. Back in the day, they bundled maternity and pediatrics together. That should be separate IMO. I've always wanted to do something in the medical field, but I also like business, even though dealing with the public is hard at times.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not married nor do I have an kids, and I have a good living situation at the moment, even though I am actively searching for a house. I don't have a social life as I work all the time in our family business so that doesn't concern me. It would be the best time now to go back.
http://www.mastersinnursing.com/deg...ing-with-a-master-of-business-administration/

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
This discussion reminds me of the old story about the guy who was thinking about going back to school and said to a friend, "It'll take me five years and in five years, I'll be 40!"

And, his friend said, "Well, in five years, you'll be 40 no matter what you do." :wink:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.