The Bama Effect Continues- teams spiral after playing the Tide

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
USC
Arkansas
Ole Miss

I know we've noted how teams simply don't look the same after they clash with Bama. It looks to be continuing with OM and Arkansas especially. We'll see how UT and A&M fare but it looks like Bama not only makes their opponent quit during the game but some quit for the rest of the season.

Processed indeed!!! RTR!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Well part of it is probably physical to some degree, especially later in the season, but I believe a lot this effect has to do with how some teams put all they have into beating us and when it doesn't happen they are emotionally and psychologically spent. Arkansas is a perfect example. Bielema and crew put all they had into beating us. Once we whizzed in their corn flakes it was over for them.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Well part of it is probably physical to some degree, especially later in the season, but I believe a lot this effect has to do with how some teams put all they have into beating us and when it doesn't happen they are emotionally and psychologically spent. Arkansas is a perfect example. Bielema and crew put all they had into beating us. Once we whizzed in their corn flakes it was over for them.
I agree - this doesn't happen if teams treat Alabama as just another game.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
When you reach the top of the mountain there is but one way to go. And the spiral down is usually the same on those rare occasions when you conquer the mountain.

For the best example of that, one need go back no further than the last time UF played an OOC game outside of the State of Florida. Of course one has to go all the way back to 1991 for that. :biggrin:

In the second week of that season, Bama journeyed to Gainesville and lost 0-35. For those of you bad with numbers, that is ZERO to THIRTY FIVE. in the third week of that season, UF journeyed to Syracuse and lost 21-38. It would be TWO YEARS and TWO MONTHS before Bama would lose again.

FF4bama

1st Team
Sep 13, 2012
When you reach the top of the mountain there is but one way to go. And the spiral down is usually the same on those rare occasions when you conquer the mountain.

For the best example of that, one need go back no further than the last time UF played an OOC game outside of the State of Florida. Of course one has to go all the way back to 1991 for that. :biggrin:

In the second week of that season, Bama journeyed to Gainesville and lost 0-35. For those of you bad with numbers, that is ZERO to THIRTY FIVE. in the third week of that season, UF journeyed to Syracuse and lost 21-38. It would be TWO YEARS and TWO MONTHS before Bama would lose again.
Ugh I remember that game. I was watching it at Madeira Beach with my Gator inlaws. I later came to respect the Ol Ball Coach, but after that game I always took pleasure in watching him throw his headset down and stomp on it.

NBF_Bama_Cavalry

All-American
Dec 2, 2002
Titus, Al, US
www.dixiebikers.com
Some of the so-called "Blue Bloods" of college football have found that putting everything into beating Alabama has taken its toll. Texas in 2009 was 13-0 and ran into Alabama in the BCSCG. They have since spiraled downward and fired their coach. In 2011, LSU was 13-0 (and unbeatable) and ran into Alabama in the BCSCG. They haven't beaten Alabama since, and have fired their coach. In 2012, Georgia was 11-1 and ran into Alabama in the SECCG. They haven't been the same since, and have fired their coach. In 2012, Notre Dame was 12-0 (and unbeatable) and ran into Alabama in the BCSCG. They have also spiraled downward and their coach is on the hot seat with a 2-5 record. Want to be a legendary college football coach? Don't play Alabama.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I think it is true about putting it all in and also the attitude of the team. Some teams have a "team spirit" of refuse to lose, too good to lose & etc. When you do lose what attitude do you have now?

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
The subsequent losses by teams that have given up make it look like the teams just weren't that good to begin with. They were at the top of their game when they played us, though. Fortunately, hit we take from this in strength of schedule hasn't been too costly lately.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
USC
Arkansas
Ole Miss

I know we've noted how teams simply don't look the same after they clash with Bama. It looks to be continuing with OM and Arkansas especially. We'll see how UT and A&M fare but it looks like Bama not only makes their opponent quit during the game but some quit for the rest of the season.

Processed indeed!!! RTR!!!

Are you SERIOUS right now? You left what has to be the best example of your title off the list....dude, seriously....

Michigan state

They've got FIVE STRAIGHT LOSSES and the season is only halfway through AND now they get to Michigan and Ohio State. They suffered one of their worst losses last year to us in the Cotton Bowl and this season has been nothing but a travesty.

Capture.PNG

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Are you SERIOUS right now? You left what has to be the best example of your title off the list....dude, seriously....

Michigan state

They've got FIVE STRAIGHT LOSSES and the season is only halfway through AND now they get to Michigan and Ohio State. They suffered one of their worst losses last year to us in the Cotton Bowl and this season has been nothing but a travesty.

View attachment 2449
TG21 is the truth!!!

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
This is true. This is why Coach Saban preaches about staying on an even keel and not being so emotional. If you approach every game the same this won't happen. I remember a few years ago a lot of us on here were hoping the players would show more emotion for our biggest rivals. Well, if they did they may come out super flat the next week and take a loss. We do seem to play not so good when our championship dreams are dashed, but not because of a loss to a particular team.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015

Michigan state

View attachment 2449
Well the OP was about seasons derailing after losing a big emotional game -- clearly Michigan State had an entire off-season to get over the Playoff loss (and they rebounded fine in 2011 after Bama crushed them in the Capital One Bowl.)

Clearly there's more going on with Michigan State than just that. You don't go from the Playoff to one of the worst teams in your conference in one year without there being some major reason.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
I totally agree, If Aubarn were to play Arkansas again there is no way the barn puts the many points up. And the good thing about the Barn beating them so big is now every sports writer is saying Aubarn has a better chance of beating Bama than LSU. I cant wait for Thanksgiving this year. Two days after we get to see how good their running attack really is.

RTR..

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa

Michigan state

View attachment 2449
Well I was just looking at this season. True enough though.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.