OT: Coach fired after playing an 18+year old against 13/14 year olds

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Wow, heard about this on JOX a little while ago but looking at this dude...what the heck was that coach thinking? Even worse, what was the 18 year old thinking?

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
This happens all the time unfortunately. A few years ago, when my son was playing summer high school ball, our coach recognized the "kid" pitching against 16 & 17 yr old boys. He was a 21 yr old college player.

When I was coaching 6th grade football a few years ago. We beat a team pretty badly earlier in the season. We faced them in the playoffs and they had about 8 different players than the previous game and they were all bigger. It was a church sponsored league too. People are pathetic at the level they'll go to "win."

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Put it this way: Glenn, the old trade school near Legion Field that didn't even field a football team, would be guaranteed to beat the Rhody high school all-stars.

Though Bryant University - known as the Bulldogs, not the Bears, nor the Tupperwearers (since the school's biggest benefactor, Silas Tupper, was the founder of the eponymous plastic stuff founder) - has originated a decent little FCS program in the last decade or so to compete against their in-state rival, the Brown University...Bears. Maybe this 18-year-old was moonlighting from Bryant's freshman team...

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
That is ridiculous. Even worse than the Little League World Series championship team that used an overage kid that was their star pitcher (kid's name was Danny ..... - can't pull the last name).
Good thing the guy was wearing jersey number 84 instead of 81 - coulda been Aaron Hernandez let out on work release (initially incarcerated right up the road at MCI Cedar Junction).

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
That is ridiculous. Even worse than the Little League World Series championship team that used an overage kid that was their star pitcher (kid's name was Danny ..... - can't pull the last name).
The Little League thing was just somebody cheating. This could lead to someone getting hurt. Yes, some 13-14 year olds are big, but an 18 year old is physically mature much more than just a fat middle schooler.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
The Little League thing was just somebody cheating. This could lead to someone getting hurt. Yes, some 13-14 year olds are big, but an 18 year old is physically mature much more than just a fat middle schooler.
I agree. That is why I said even worse, however, that kid threw hard and if you got plunked it would really hurt a 11-12 y/o.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
FYI, the New York team who cheated did NOT win the LLWS. They didn't make it out of the US bracket.

A 14 year old pitching to 11,12,13 year olds is not near as bad as an 18 year old playing football.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

92teamownsall

Scout Team
Sep 10, 2013
I've played a lot of backyard football when a kid and there was a mix of 13-18 year olds in the mix. There were a lot of injuries but we would cover it up best we could so we could play again next week. I remember not walking when mom and dad was around so they wouldn't find out my ankle was swollen up. It's a different day now though.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
For me to put this in perspective , this 18 yo can join the the military and fight for his country!
He has no business playing with kids.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I've played a lot of backyard football when a kid and there was a mix of 13-18 year olds in the mix. There were a lot of injuries but we would cover it up best we could so we could play again next week. I remember not walking when mom and dad was around so they wouldn't find out my ankle was swollen up. It's a different day now though.
In a backyard game, you know what you are getting into. An official league for 13-14 year olds is a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.