Solar winds spur geomagnetic storm that may affect power

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Just clickbait. The problems it generally causes us are very minor, nothing to be worried about. It all reminds me of when 2000 was coming and everyone thought our computers would shut down and people were saving water:biggrin:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
FWIW, computer programs and systems would have malfunctioned except for a concerted effort prior to Y2K to correct code.
not really, but I did make a ton of selling new servers from 95-2000 and it did spur massive amounts of software application sales. Most people just finally game up their mainframes for client server architectures, many of which I am replacing now :) lather, rinse, repeat

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
not really, but I did make a ton of selling new servers from 95-2000 and it did spur massive amounts of software application sales. Most people just finally game up their mainframes for client server architectures, many of which I am replacing now :) lather, rinse, repeat
Probably every company had programs written with 2 digit year fields (storage was expensive years before). Those programs would have failed if not modified. Older operating systems had the same sort of problems.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
May be a problem in the future.

A Perfect Solar Superstorm: The 1859 Carrington Event

http://www.history.com/news/a-perfect-solar-superstorm-the-1859-carrington-event

a massive solar flare with the energy of 10 billion atomic bombs. The flare spewed electrified gas and subatomic particles toward Earth, and the resulting geomagnetic storm—dubbed the “Carrington Event”—was the largest on record to have struck the planet.

Many telegraph lines across North America were rendered inoperable on the night of August 28 as the first of two successive solar storms struck. E.W. Culgan, a telegraph manager in Pittsburgh, reported that the resulting currents flowing through the wires were so powerful that platinum contacts were in danger of melting and “streams of fire” were pouring forth from the circuits. In Washington, D.C., telegraph operator Frederick W. Royce was severely shocked as his forehead grazed a ground wire. According to a witness, an arc of fire jumped from Royce’s head to the telegraphic equipment. Some telegraph stations that used chemicals to mark sheets reported that powerful surges caused telegraph paper to combust.

Would it fry our electronics?

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
My company still relies on a mainframe primarily running an assembler-based system (mid-80s) that processes the vast majority of our business to this day. It's a major cost/competitive advantage for us.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
My company still relies on a mainframe primarily running an assembler-based system (mid-80s) that processes the vast majority of our business to this day. It's a major cost/competitive advantage for us.
that's the ironic thing, those who hung on and modernized are ending up in a pretty great spot if they did it right.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
May be a problem in the future.

A Perfect Solar Superstorm: The 1859 Carrington Event

http://www.history.com/news/a-perfect-solar-superstorm-the-1859-carrington-event

a massive solar flare with the energy of 10 billion atomic bombs. The flare spewed electrified gas and subatomic particles toward Earth, and the resulting geomagnetic storm—dubbed the “Carrington Event”—was the largest on record to have struck the planet.

Many telegraph lines across North America were rendered inoperable on the night of August 28 as the first of two successive solar storms struck. E.W. Culgan, a telegraph manager in Pittsburgh, reported that the resulting currents flowing through the wires were so powerful that platinum contacts were in danger of melting and “streams of fire” were pouring forth from the circuits. In Washington, D.C., telegraph operator Frederick W. Royce was severely shocked as his forehead grazed a ground wire. According to a witness, an arc of fire jumped from Royce’s head to the telegraphic equipment. Some telegraph stations that used chemicals to mark sheets reported that powerful surges caused telegraph paper to combust.

Would it fry our electronics?

WHAT????

You mean it wasn't us Texans, driving SUVs, running the AC in the winter, and our big-haired wimmin using hair spray that caused that? How can that be?

I'm so confused................

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
FWIW, computer programs and systems would have malfunctioned except for a concerted effort prior to Y2K to correct code.

Y2K........................argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had one "client" actually call and asked if their microwave oven (as opposed to telecom system) would still work.

Let's see....................the date is flashing "12:00" for years, and somehow it is going to know it is supposed to stop working...................

Another one, who is much smarter than that one, claimed planes would fall out of the sky, and cancelled vacation plans. (He was rich enough that he could fly anywhere, and frequently did.)

Anyway, it drove a lot of bidnis associates nuts, as their bosses kept yelling "Faster! Hurry! It is almost here!!!! We're all doomed!"

Nothing like a good crisis to spur needless bidnis opportunities. The bosses get rich; we get worked to death.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.