Kevin Sumlin Contacted the SEC About the Mack Wilson Hit

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
OK, I'm happy to let it go, but remember that both Saban and SEC have spoken on this. I will accept their view of the rules...

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
This whole thread proves that no one really knows what targeting is, not even the people who made up the rule. There's way too many ways to interpret the rule, I wish they would just get rid of it altogether, but that won't happen.

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
You can carry this on, but both the SEC and Saban have said no defenseless player and therefore no targeting. How exactly does your argument get around that? I think they're correct and arguing with them is pointless.

[/B][/I]
I agree that according to Rule 9-1-4, the Mack Wilson play is not considered targeting because Noil was not defenseless but targeting could have been called according to Rule 9-1-3. The SEC, Saban, and many others (including yourself) are only referring to the defenseless player rule (9-1-4) and not the other rule (9-1-3). Everyone doesn't have to agree but that is my take on it.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I agree that according to Rule 9-1-4, the Mack Wilson play is not considered targeting because Noil was not defenseless but targeting could have been called according to Rule 9-1-3. The SEC, Saban, and many others (including yourself) are only referring to the defenseless player rule (9-1-4) and not the other rule (9-1-3). Everyone doesn't have to agree but that is my take on it.
Like I said to '92, bring your point up again the next time targeting is called when the player is not "defenseless." OK?

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
How many times does it have to be said that the Mack Wilson hit was NOT targeting. The rule book says when in question it is targeting so the hit wasn't even close enough to be in question to the people who make the final decision - the officials on the field, the replay booth and the SEC office in Birmingham. 3 separate parties reviewed the play and deemed it wasn't even in question or it would have been called targeting.

This was the same type of hit Jalen Hurts took in the Ole Miss game. I didn't hear any outcry or fussing about that hit yet there's many people posting here who feel Mack should've been thrown out of the aTm game??
In my opinion, the Jalen Hurts hit in the Ole Miss game hit should have been called targeting also.

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
Like I said to '92, bring your point up again the next time targeting is called when the player is not "defenseless." OK?
So in your opinion, what does Rule 9-1-3 mean? It looks like it is being ignored and only 9-1-4 is being used to apply the rule.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
So in your opinion, what does Rule 9-1-3 mean? It looks like it is being ignored and only 9-1-4 is being used to apply the rule.
not speaking for earle, but the way i read it, rule 9-1-3 refers to "note 1" which in the part i bolded above brings intent into the matter and wilson was making a legal tackle on a non-defenseless ball carrier, therefore no intent.

Target—to take aim at an opponent for purposes of attacking with an apparent intent that goes beyond making a legal tackle or a legal block or playing the ball.

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
not speaking for earle, but the way i read it, rule 9-1-3 refers to "note 1" which in the part i bolded above brings intent into the matter and wilson was making a legal tackle on a non-defenseless ball carrier, therefore no intent.
I agree that intent is hard to determine but what about the rest of note 1 that says, "Crown of the Helmet—the top portion of the helmet. Contact to the head or neck area—not only with the helmet, but also with the forearm, fist, elbow, or shoulder—these can all lead to a foul."

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Exactly. I mentioned the same thing in a earlier post:

Helmet to helmet doesn't automatically qualify as targeting. It has to be deemed forcible helmet contact which means the action "goes beyond making a legal tackle or a legal block or playing the ball." It was determined that Wilson was making a legal tackle..

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Intent was specifically removed from the spearing rule by the NCAA in 2005...

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I agree that intent is hard to determine but what about the rest of note 1 that says, "Crown of the Helmet—the top portion of the helmet. Contact to the head or neck area—not only with the helmet, but also with the forearm, fist, elbow, or shoulder—these can all lead to a foul."
The rest of note 1 that you mentioned (crown of the helmet, forearm, fist, elbow) must be in conjunction with forcible contact which is going beyond making a legal tackle, block or play on the ball. Wilson was making a legal tackle so therefore not targeting..

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Has anybody even blamed A&M for this whole thing. If they would have blocked Wilson just a little the hit wouldn't have looked so violent. When you don't even break stride on a kickoff and hit the return man at full speed every hit looks like targeting. A&M at least slowed Wilson up a little the next time when he hit the back up return man.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
The rest of note 1 that you mentioned (crown of the helmet, forearm, fist, elbow) must be in conjunction with forcible contact which is going beyond making a legal tackle, block or play on the ball. Wilson was making a legal tackle so therefore not targeting..
This point is the only one I've heard/seen that makes any sense to me as to why there was no targeting call. Others have mentioned this... I am just quoting CrimsonForce's because it's the latest one.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I've been on the internet for some 20 years and it still amazes me that the average internet posters questioning this (like those on Texags) think that they have it correct while Saban, the officials on the field, the official in the replay booth, the official in Birmingham, and the post-game SEC review all got it wrong...

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I've been on the internet for some 20 years and it still amazes me that the average internet posters questioning this (like those on Texags) think that they have it correct while Saban, the officials on the field, the official in the replay booth, the official in Birmingham, and the post-game SEC review all got it wrong...
It doesn't help that the rule they cite (not a defenseless player) doesn't pertain to the actual question (leading with the crown of the helmet)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.