News Article: Interesting article about how to attack the Bama defense

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Easier said than done.

If an offense had the capability to be that dynamic and still be productive, they'd already be doing that every week and not just for Bama's Defense.

The goal for every offense is to keep the defense guessing, back on their heels, thinking instead of reacting. The problem with facing Bama's D is that the talent is good enough to beat you more often than not even when they're having to stop and think for a split second.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Teams have tried new plays and it worked for a while, until defense adjusted and it didn't work anymore. So I don't think it's really easy to stop the defense. Foster is fast, and when you have 5 or 6 players who can come at you from different angles, It's not going to end well for Offense. Best way to move the field effectively against the defense is to get the ball out of QB hand quicker. LSU said yesterday they will do something to spread the defense little bit and try to open up the run game. I don't think it will work.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Harsh reality - to beat this Alabama defense your QB needs to have an out of body experience. The way to beat Alabama is to stop the offense and hope to win a 10-9 type of game.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
Easier said than done.

If an offense had the capability to be that dynamic and still be productive, they'd already be doing that every week and not just for Bama's Defense.

The goal for every offense is to keep the defense guessing, back on their heels, thinking instead of reacting. The problem with facing Bama's D is that the talent is good enough to beat you more often than not even when they're having to stop and think for a split second.
I agree totally. What the author said was accurate, but most teams can't do this on a regular basis. Our players are better athletes and coached better. You will find equal athletes on many teams, but not in the numbers needed to play us on equal footing. Chad Kelly is a great QB. He will get a chance to start on Sundays, but he didn't have enough talent around him. LF is an incredible back, but he doesn't have a QB that can stress the Bama defense enough to give him running room. I did think it was a good idea to move the QB as much as possible and vary the drops. It won't help much, but it might give him another second or two.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
All they have to do is play mistake free football,
have a QB who has a Red Letter Game, and hope to force us into a bunch of mistakes.
All they have to do is catch our Defense in a really bad game...

Sounds easy doesn't it?

Last edited:

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
Thanks for posting. The author's main arguments center on unpredictability (changing the QB's movements and team tendencies). The problem is the that this strategy also takes offenses out of its rhythm and comfort zones. If I had less than 2 seconds before JA or TW flattened me, I would not want to add too many new wrinkles to my drop-back. Our defense is just special.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Do you think it will be more difficult on offense for us v LSU since Coach O worked with Kiffin for 8 years and knows him and his tendencies so well? I just hope Jalen is ready to throw the ball successfully! I think it will be a tough game for us on offense. LSU has the best defense we have seen so far. We just need LSU and Auburn to lose at least one more game to make our path easier (just in case we do get beat by one of these teams) to the SEC champ game. I know we could beat TN or Florida and be in the top 4 again --just have to get past LSU first.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
"You gotta have a hot quarterback..."

Gary Danielson, 2011-12-13-14-15-16-??

Most of our defeats are contingent upon US making mistakes. I think the last team to straight up beat us without major contribution by our team was SCAR in 2010. Ohio St played us well but a couple of things the other way not only flip the outcome but make it look really bad on the scoreboard (two obvious are the near safety on Jones and the pick six).

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
There is a great scene in Bladerunner that is appropriate. The replicant, Roy, gets an interview with Tyrell, and demands a longer life. Tyrell talks through various options, but they always amount to the same thing: you can try this, but you die of that. Or, you could try this but then you'd die of the other thing. And so-on.

In other words, you get to choose between limited options such as getting your runs stuffed, or your qb sacked, or your receivers covered. You might be able to score occasionally with a big play, but then not only is the D not gassed but in addition they are angry.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
I understand why he advocates trying to be totally unpredictable and run a bunch of gimmick plays. Problem is when they don't work and get blown up, you're going 3 and out over and over again and you're buried by the time the 1st quarter is over. It's a boom or bust strategy against almost any team, but especially Alabama.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I understand why he advocates trying to be totally unpredictable and run a bunch of gimmick plays. Problem is when they don't work and get blown up, you're going 3 and out over and over again and you're buried by the time the 1st quarter is over. It's a boom or bust strategy against almost any team, but especially Alabama.
I especially like the bit about the 10 step drop :D
Go ahead and try this, I dare you. hahahahahahaha

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
I especially like the bit about the 10 step drop :D
Go ahead and try this, I dare you. hahahahahahaha
Yes, please turn that 5 yard loss into a 15 yard loss for us. I don't recommend it, but stupid is as stupid does.

Easier said than done.

Recruiting and Coaching!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.