NCAA coaching salaries for 2016 - Saban #2...

Bubbaloo

1st Team
Dec 8, 2015
If you figure in the taxes and cost of living (and the weather) CNS still outpaces Hairballs salary by 7 digits and a future.

Sweet Home Alabama........

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
I wouldn't worry about that just yet. If we get to playoff/National championship again, Then Saban will be the first 10 million dollar coach. Michigan has done nothing to justify Harbaugh's 9 million dollar salary. For 9 million dollar, you better produce almost immediately. I don't know how long Harbaugh will last at Michigan, but it'll be interesting to see what kind of outcome he'll have.
Well, he's 17-3 in a year and a half and currently ranked #2 in the country. Who knows how he'll finish this year (or over the next several years) but after wandering in the wilderness with Brady Hoke (31-20) and Rich Rodriguez (15-22) for 7 years you can certainly see why they paid. He's unquestionably a top 5 coach in college football and I'd probably have him 3rd after Saban and Meyer.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I've never understood why Kirk Ferentz has always commanded such a high salary in his long tenure at Iowa. He shared a conference title in 2002 and 2004, but other than that he's never won any kind of championship.
Every year I eagerly look forward to he Iowa Hawkeye preseason Top 12-25 ranking. I laugh every year they are picked higher than 20th and I am seldom disappointed. I don't understand it either.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
I've never understood why Kirk Ferentz has always commanded such a high salary in his long tenure at Iowa. He shared a conference title in 2002 and 2004, but other than that he's never won any kind of championship.
I think there are different standards at a school like Iowa. There isn't great in-state talent (at least not at positions requiring African American talent) and there's not some incredible tradition. Being competitive in the B1G, going bowling and occasionally breaking through to the Orange or Rose Bowl is kind of what they expect. He is handsomely paid for that job, but it's not really a great job and he's kept them competitive when teams like Illinois have bottomed out and become wastelands.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Well, he's 17-3 in a year and a half and currently ranked #2 in the country. Who knows how he'll finish this year (or over the next several years) but after wandering in the wilderness with Brady Hoke (31-20) and Rich Rodriguez (15-22) for 7 years you can certainly see why they paid. He's unquestionably a top 5 coach in college football and I'd probably have him 3rd after Saban and Meyer.
Not willing to go that far yet. Michigan started the season projected (like everyone else) to be a tough opponent. Are they? It's tough to look bad given your competition. I mean, I know this WAS the big 10s year, with tons ranked up there, but look at their level of competition......

You're all smart people and can figure out whose schedule is whose. The rank shows position at time of game.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
If you figure in the taxes and cost of living (and the weather) CNS still outpaces Hairballs salary by 7 digits and a future.

Good point....The cost of living in Michigan is much higher than down here in Alabama, which means that coach Sabans dollars have more buying power than harbaughs. Plus we have a better climate and are much closer to lake burton.��

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

Beautiful truth son and may the rest of the nation never catch on. Let them hate!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't think Michigan's schedule is that bad at this moment. Penn State ended up getting a big win. Wisconsin is a win this weekend from having a strong inside track on the Big Ten West and a 10-2 record. Hawaii and UCF might end up in a bowl game. Colorado has been the surprise of the season.

Whereas, I think Ole Miss and Arkansas are both trending down. Tennessee ought to win out but they're a MASH unit at this juncture. USC is probably on the way to 7-5 or 8-4 depending on this weekend's outcome. WKU might win out and finish 9-3. Texas A&M is really the only win so far where I think the team will finish the season in the top 25. Michigan seems to have two to four of those teams right now.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I don't think Michigan's schedule is that bad at this moment.
According to Sagarin, Michigan has played the 50th toughest schedule in FBS, while Bama has played the 11th toughest schedule in FBS.

If Bama played Michigan's schedule they'd still be undefeated. If Michigan played Bama's schedule, I doubt they'd be undefeated...

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The $$$ pretty well matches up wins and TV time. For example, the PAC 12 is in a finical wilderness compared to the other four Group of Five. I see the American Athletic Conference (AAC) is on a level between the Power Five and the "Group of Four." I guess if conferences were countries we would have MWC, CUSA, MAC and Sun Belt as Third World Countries.

Power Five have #1 - 34, with Houston at #35.

B1G : Michigan #1
SEC : Alabama #2
B12 : Oklahoma #4
ACC : Florida St #5

P12 : Stanford #19

AAC : Houston #35
MWC: Fresno #66
SunB: La Laf #70
CUSA: Rice #75
MAC : W Mich #79

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.