Will we lose much with Hootie replacing Eddie?

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Well not to take anything away from EJ but it would hurt so much more if that had been Allen, Williams, or Foster that broke their leg. Jackson is more "replaceable" than those 3 are. A great pass rush will always be big help to the performance of CB's and Safeties. I think Tony Brown will do just fine.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
We don't know how we will look next Saturday right now. It could be Minkah/Tony, it could be Hootie w/ Minkah keeping his normal spot or a combination. Our OL 10 days before the season started had Cotton at LG, Piersbacher at C and Shank/Bozeman at RG and it was totally different for the 1st game. I am sure the staff is trying to "experiment" during the bye week to see what the best combination will be and I feel they will get it right.

Bubbaloo

1st Team
Dec 8, 2015
Gonna miss the experience and leadership more than the coverage ability. Someone has to step up and take the lead dog spot quickly.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think Tony Brown's best fit in this defense is the 'star' nickel corner. He likes to tackle so he can handle some of the run fit responsibilities and blitz opportunities. He's fast, so he won't get purely out-athlete'd by speedy slot receivers.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Good grief LOL. Last year people said lack of experience is popular word around here. Last year folks were concerned that Defense might give up little more runs this year and look at where they are. They didn't miss a beat. I don't think we'll miss a beat with Minkah back there and Brown at CB.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Good grief LOL. Last year people said lack of experience is popular word around here. Last year folks were concerned that Defense might give up little more runs this year and look at where they are. They didn't miss a beat. I don't think we'll miss a beat with Minkah back there and Brown at CB.
When you lose your All-American safety, 4 year starter and team leader it is a big concern. I hope your right that we don't miss a beat.

Last edited:

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
When you lose your All-American safety, 4 year starter and team leader it is a big concern. I hope your right that we don't miss a beat.
All true, but having seen EJ over the last few years, i think we will still benefit from his leadership even though he is not on the field. I'd be really surprise if he is not at every practice that doesn't interfere with rehab, and that he's not on the sideline helping his teammates as much as he can during the games. It's not the same as being on the field, but it can still help to set the tone for the team.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
All true, but having seen EJ over the last few years, i think we will still benefit from his leadership even though he is not on the field. I'd be really surprise if he is not at every practice that doesn't interfere with rehab, and that he's not on the sideline helping his teammates as much as he can during the games. It's not the same as being on the field, but it can still help to set the tone for the team.
For all we know, this could be the beginning of EJ`s coaching career. The Lord works in mysterious ways.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I don't think you lose EJ and get better - he's a tremendous athlete and an experienced leader. That said, we may not be much worse - really hard to say at this point, but I suspect we'll get burned on at least one play that we wouldn't have if EJ were still back there.
I agree 100% Brad..You don't replace a Eddie Jackson, we move on with who's next in line, in years past our Coaching Staff has magnificently adjusted our D when past devastating injuries have occurred.. Like when Hightower went down with that awful knee injury, our Coaching Staff adjusted our D to fit the Player's that stepped up to replace Hightower, it sucks losing Eddie for sure, but, Coach Saban & Coach Pruitt will adjust our D that will allow us to stay the dominating D that we are..

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I was listening to the edsbs podcast and they were saying something to the effect "only Alabama could lose a starter and go up a star rating in the process...Jackson was a 3-star, his replacement was a 4-star. Admittedly, everyone got that wrong about Jackson."

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I was listening to the edsbs podcast and they were saying something to the effect "only Alabama could lose a starter and go up a star rating in the process...Jackson was a 3-star, his replacement was a 4-star. Admittedly, everyone got that wrong about Jackson."
Yeah, Eddie not playing football until late in high school along with grade problems caused the recruiting rankings to be lower than they should have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'm surprised he didn't start out at safety to be quite honest. I think he played safety in high school even...but started at corner here. Guess the shift in safety body type preferences was much later than the DL overhaul we were kicking off in recruiting by 2013. That might have not been a realization until the QA following Auburn, Mizzou, and Ohio State really eating us up on deep passes to finish the 2014 season...

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
J, EJ wasn't a 4 year starter. he made his appearance as a sophomore playing CB sparingly due to his inconsistent performances. it wasn't until CNS moved him to Safety his junior year where he eventually thrive.
furthermore, I love EJ as much as the next fan, but there were some games this year where EJ was not in position to make plays. luckily the balls were either over thrown or the CB batted it away so it didn't cost us any points. but I think some fans have selective memories where they only remember how great EJ was, and he was for the most part, but he wasn't perfect. I agree that the team will sorely miss a team leader with lots of experience in the secondary, but mostly will miss his special teams skills which was a game changer almost every time he touched the ball.
I will say this, Hootie Jones has played a lot more lately and he ain't too shabby.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.