Will we lose much with Hootie replacing Eddie?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
J, EJ wasn't a 4 year starter. he made his appearance as a sophomore playing CB sparingly due to his inconsistent performances. it wasn't until CNS moved him to Safety his junior year where he eventually thrive.
furthermore, I love EJ as much as the next fan, but there were some games this year where EJ was not in position to make plays. luckily the balls were either over thrown or the CB batted it away so it didn't cost us any points. but I think some fans have selective memories where they only remember how great EJ was, and he was for the most part, but he wasn't perfect. I agree that the team will sorely miss a team leader with lots of experience in the secondary, but mostly will miss his special teams skills which was a game changer almost every time he touched the ball.
I will say this, Hootie Jones has played a lot more lately and he ain't too shabby.
Actually, he started 4 games his freshman year.

rolltide.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=528

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Good grief LOL. Last year people said lack of experience is popular word around here. Last year folks were concerned that Defense might give up little more runs this year and look at where they are. They didn't miss a beat. I don't think we'll miss a beat with Minkah back there and Brown at CB.
I hear ya my friend..The one trait of Coach Saban that separates him from any HC in the history of the game, is his ability, to "Adapt" to major issues when they arise during the season..Every major injury we've had to happen under Coach Saban, he has an uncanny knack of plugging in the right players, while adapting our defense that maximizes our level of play to the strength of the Player's stepping up..I honestly don't see our defensive domination slipping after Eddie's injury cause of the sheer talent we have that will step up into their new roles on D..JMHO

MobileCrimson

1st Team
Feb 27, 2014
I hear ya my friend..The one trait of Coach Saban that separates him from any HC in the history of the game, is his ability, to "Adapt" to major issues when they arise during the season..Every major injury we've had to happen under Coach Saban, he has an uncanny knack of plugging in the right players, while adapting our defense that maximizes our level of play to the strength of the Player's stepping up..I honestly don't see our defensive domination slipping after Eddie's injury cause of the sheer talent we have that will step up into their new roles on D..JMHO
I think Eddie would agree with this. We have athletes ready to step in and Eddie will be there on the sideline doing everything he can to help them out. He is a leader and team player.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I think Eddie would agree with this. We have athletes ready to step in and Eddie will be there on the sideline doing everything he can to help them out. He is a leader and team player.
Exactly..The importance Eddie will play after his injury will be just as huge as play on the football field..Helping to coach up & give advice to the Player's behind him, will be a huge, his role on the sideline will help the transition of those stepping up in his place a lottttt easier..

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
J, EJ wasn't a 4 year starter. he made his appearance as a sophomore playing CB sparingly due to his inconsistent performances. it wasn't until CNS moved him to Safety his junior year where he eventually thrive.
furthermore, I love EJ as much as the next fan, but there were some games this year where EJ was not in position to make plays. luckily the balls were either over thrown or the CB batted it away so it didn't cost us any points. but I think some fans have selective memories where they only remember how great EJ was, and he was for the most part, but he wasn't perfect. I agree that the team will sorely miss a team leader with lots of experience in the secondary, but mostly will miss his special teams skills which was a game changer almost every time he touched the ball.
I will say this, Hootie Jones has played a lot more lately and he ain't too shabby.
Hootie has been playing well, getting a majority of his reps as a deep S in dime. He’s got a very good skillset as a traditional Safety, which is a little different from what EJ’s skillset is. EJ often drops in and plays a lot like a CB instead of an S and that could be tough for either Hootie or Harrison to do, although maybe they can and we just haven’t seen it yet because they aren’t asked to do that in our packages. We’ve been playing a TON of dime package this season, so I think it makes sense to see if we can keep Hootie in that role with TB at the Star position and have Fitz slide back so he is really the only one having to pick up a new role across all the different packages we run. TB has been practicing at Star for a long time, and has solid game experience there against a really good QB

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The really good news - you will be playing mostly nickel against LSU and Auburn because of their dominant run games. This has become Alabama's best defensive alignment in 2016. In nickel, you use another LB in run support instead of a safety. I don't think that these changes really stretch you until/unless you are forced to play dime again, really stretching the role of safeties. That won't happen unless you are up big against one of the teams that you play in the SEC and they abandon the run (or when you reach the playoffs).

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
The really good news - you will be playing mostly nickel against LSU and Auburn because of their dominant run games. This has become Alabama's best defensive alignment in 2016. In nickel, you use another LB in run support instead of a safety. I don't think that these changes really stretch you until/unless you are forced to play dime again, really stretching the role of safeties. That won't happen unless you are up big against one of the teams that you play in the SEC and they abandon the run (or when you reach the playoffs).
Very true...EJ's one bad habit was ball hawking when he was the last line of defense -- and then missing!! Didn't happen often, but often enough. We will miss him...probably at punt returner as much as anywhere else.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
My only concern with Tony Brown is he when he tries to just blow the ball carrier up and doesn't bring his arms to wrap them up. Now, I only saw it once the other day, so it may not have happened but that one time.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think we gain more physicality at the Safety position, but lose a bit of athletic play. Thoughts? How much will we honestly lose here? Is the biggest loss the trickle down effect this has via players moving up the depth chart that wouldn't be playing much otherwise?
Nobody knows.

Cardale Jones won a national title for Ohio State. The assumption is that it will hurt us terribly - but that might be wrong.

We don't know until we see. My initial hunch is, "YES, it leaves us more vulnerable."

But let's wait and see.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Completely agree about the nickel being our real base formation. Due to the offenses we see, we play nickel way more than any other package.

Against LSU however, we might actually brush off the 3-4 alignment and swap out the Star DB for a Sam LB since LSU plays I formation with a TE a lot. We'll still end up in nickel/dime as well based on down and distances. Hopefully we are in dime a lot as that will have meant we are shutting down the run game on early downs and are keeping them behind schedule for down and distance.

Last edited:

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Yeah, Eddie not playing football until late in high school along with grade problems caused the recruiting rankings to be lower than they should have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Frankly, the recruiting services just missed on Eddie. They do a decent job, but they miss frequently. Eddie is just another example.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think one of the main things to consider with Eddie is that everything he did can't be replaced by one guy. However, Eddie will still be on the sideline providing leadership. Alabama has enough talent in the secondary to if not fully replace him, make a decent effort, and Marks is a good enough punt returner to make up a lot of the difference as well.

The thing to be concerned for, and watch out for a bit is what happened late in the Ole Miss game. If I recall correctly, "MP" (heh), and Eddie were both dinged up and out of that game late and Brown was still suspended. I don't remember who exactly was in that point, but clearly the depth was stressed. The real concern is if Alabama loses anyone else in the secondary, then that can really start to make the team feel the loss of Eddie.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I'm surprised he didn't start out at safety to be quite honest. I think he played safety in high school even...but started at corner here. Guess the shift in safety body type preferences was much later than the DL overhaul we were kicking off in recruiting by 2013. That might have not been a realization until the QA following Auburn, Mizzou, and Ohio State really eating us up on deep passes to finish the 2014 season...
I remember his freshman year when he got on the field at CB he looked great at times. The injury cost him a 1/2 step and the move to safety was genius his junior year. I wonder if he would have stayed at CB if not injured.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
My only concern with Tony Brown is he when he tries to just blow the ball carrier up and doesn't bring his arms to wrap them up. Now, I only saw it once the other day, so it may not have happened but that one time.

I saw that as well.

Rewound it a couple of times.

And gulped...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.