Will we lose much with Hootie replacing Eddie?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Hootie Jones is probably going to start against LSU...at least that is what I'd say at the moment. I think the Minkah Fitzpatrick stuff is a contingency and the bye week is the time to prep a midseason contingency plan. If we struggle with the new safety group, the switch may happen though. I don't think Hootie has done poorly in his role within the dime defense but the responsibilities grow when you're one of the two primary safeties.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Hootie Jones is probably going to start against LSU...at least that is what I'd say at the moment. I think the Minkah Fitzpatrick stuff is a contingency and the bye week is the time to prep a midseason contingency plan. If we struggle with the new safety group, the switch may happen though. I don't think Hootie has done poorly in his role within the dime defense but the responsibilities grow when you're one of the two primary safeties.
In the end, I agree. Especially since they are a run heavy team. It puts us in better position against the corndogs. Of course against someone like the barn I could see Minkah playing in the back end.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
it's going to be fun watching the coaches assemble the parts of the puzzle on this one. Hootie has done well in dime, and it's been as the 'primary Safety' as we've moved harrison up to the money slot and Hootie took his place in the back. That said, hootie out there might not put our best four DB's on the field either like having Minkah back there might (assuming he picks up the scheme). It might come down to how things work out for nickel, i.e are we better with Brown at Star and Minkah back, or with minkah at star and hootie back?

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I think we will miss a instinct thing with Eddie on the sideline. Sometimes you just get a feeling and go with your gut. Probably drives coaches crazy, but when it works... You look better than buttered bread.
IMO: Eddie on the sideline signaling in what he sees, may allow our guys to go a little faster. Play with the combined knowledge and experience we had with Eddie.
It least that's what I hope happens. Coach Eddie :)

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
1. Hootie as a starting Safety isn't a sure thing. Let's wait and see what happens on Monday.
2. I hope Eddie will travel with the team next week and I wouldn't be shocked to see Eddie calling plays from the sideline by passing it on to Hump/ Averett and they relay it back to the Safety.
3. We'll be fine.
4. we'll be fine.
5. we'll be fine.

Nice point!
I think we will miss a instinct thing with Eddie on the sideline. Sometimes you just get a feeling and go with your gut. Probably drives coaches crazy, but when it works... You look better than buttered bread.
IMO: Eddie on the sideline signaling in what he sees, may allow our guys to go a little faster. Play with the combined knowledge and experience we had with Eddie.
It least that's what I hope happens. Coach Eddie :)

BamaGreek

All-American
Jan 6, 2007
Brentwood, TN
I think we have the best coaching staff in college football. Saban and his staff will make the adjustment they need to make to give the team the best chance of success. No matter what though you can't lose a All American caliber player like Eddie and not feel it. That being said, Bama will keep winning and dominating in games. In Coach Saban I trust.

TampaTide813

Suspended
Dec 16, 2014
The sky's not galling but, yeah, were going to lose. If not CNS wouldn't have been using Eddie so much.
Good thing the sky isn't falling.... You're probably right. We should just pack it in for the season. Start playing our back-ups so they get experience for next year, and let our seniors and NFL-caliber juniors start prep for the combine. SMH...

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I understand the concern of losing an AA talent like Eddie on D, I still think we will be that dominating Bama D with his replacements, just to much talent that has gotten some PT this year along the way & that's played without getting all those snaps in practice Eddie has gotten as a starter that's huge when you become a starter for development as a player..Getting that one on one coaching up & practice time with our coaching staff will factor in bigtime when they step in next Saturday at LSU in the starting role..

I'm equally worried about the advantaged Eddie gave us on ST's as I am as I am on the D side of the ball or more so, those sparks on ST's running back kick returns for TD's or for huge returns, seemed to breathe in more life to the team as a whole, in all phases of the game when we were in a funk..Even then we have some players on the team right now, that were awesome awesome awesome return men, those Player's like many high school player's had to play multiple positions & as good as an athlete they are, only made them become wiser & more complete football players that are more ready for situations on the college level when they arise..

I have faith in "The Process" cause of the sheer talent & just more mature football players Coach Saban continually brings in recruiting than the rest of college football..We will continue to ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!" on to another NC that will continue when we shout down "The Swamp Kittens"..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.