Will we lose much with Hootie replacing Eddie?

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
I think we gain more physicality at the Safety position, but lose a bit of athletic play. Thoughts? How much will we honestly lose here? Is the biggest loss the trickle down effect this has via players moving up the depth chart that wouldn't be playing much otherwise?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think we gain more physicality at the Safety position, but lose a bit of athletic play. Thoughts? How much will we honestly lose here? Is the biggest loss the trickle down effect this has via players moving up the depth chart that wouldn't be playing much otherwise?
That's hard to answer but it's nice to have super talented guys like Hootie and Tony that would likely be starting just about everywhere else as backups.

bamadws56

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2005
Fort Benning, GA
Eddie is an All American safety, probably one of the best in the country. Hootie and Tony might be good, but Eddie is on another level. Losing him is a significant blow that we can try to mitigate as much as possible, but not one that we can fill.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I think it's helpful that we have already faced the best QB's on our schedule. My biggest concern is just a leadership perspective. Eddie wasn't some spoiled five star recruit when he got there. He was the guy that went out and earned his position on the team even though he wasn't the fastest or the biggest. Thats sort of guy you don't want to lose.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I don't think you lose EJ and get better - he's a tremendous athlete and an experienced leader. That said, we may not be much worse - really hard to say at this point, but I suspect we'll get burned on at least one play that we wouldn't have if EJ were still back there.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I don't think you lose EJ and get better - he's a tremendous athlete and an experienced leader. That said, we may not be much worse - really hard to say at this point, but I suspect we'll get burned on at least one play that we wouldn't have if EJ were still back there.
Best assessment. We do lose something but I think we'll be fine. RTR. Next man up!

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
You don't loose a player like EJ without some drop in talent. The question is how much, which is what the OP is asking....we won't know until we see how the coaches move guys around to replace Eddie. I do think we lose more in special teams (punt return quality) than we do in defensive back play, however.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Given the physical talent we have behind Eddie, I think we can fill most or all of that hole.

What we can't replace are his intangibles -- experience, knowledge of the game, knowledge of the system, leadership, and poise in adversity.

That's where we take the big hit.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Guys... Minkah is practicing in Eddie's spot this week. Tony Brown takes over Minkah's spot. Please check RTR's post in the weekly Thread. Tony is real good at star position. LIke someone said, look at Tony Brown's game tape against MSU last year. Hootie Is probably going to be in dime package Either way, We have lot of options back there and we'll be okay.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Given the physical talent we have behind Eddie, I think we can fill most or all of that hole.

What we can't replace are his intangibles -- experience, knowledge of the game, knowledge of the system, leadership, and poise in adversity.

That's where we take the big hit.
This agree, among his intangibles, Eddie has great instincts that are hard to teach and replace. However, next man up. I'm confident in Tony and Hootie and the staff.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
If Minkah does indeed take over Eddie's spot we could actually be better IF Tony Brown has his head on right. This is a perfect example on why you keep trying even if you are not the starter (can't say that for someone else we had) because you are always one play away from being THE MAN. Let's hope he really steps up because Minkah being the ballhawk he is could be deadly back there and with Brown and Minkah on the field we do get faster.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Wow, yeah, Minkah in EJ's spot pretty much solves it. Now the question is whether or not Tony can handle that STAR position.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Wow, yeah, Minkah in EJ's spot pretty much solves it. Now the question is whether or not Tony can handle that STAR position.
Go to youtube and look up Miss state game from last year where Tony played Star position and you should get your answer. I promise you, he looked good playing Star.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Go to youtube and look up Miss state game from last year where Tony played Star position and you should get your answer. I promise you, he looked good playing Star.
Before Tony got in trouble, I think the staff was planning the secondary this year would have had Fitz and Hump on the corners, with Tony at Star, EJ at one S and Hootie/Harrison competing for the other.

but, as we going to miss EJ? Heck yeah. He started games as a TF and Soph before becoming a full time starter last year so he's always been on the top end of the talent range, and his experience is something we can't come close to replacing. If fitz is back there the talent level will be fine, but playing CB and S are different, so we have to expect a bit of a learning curve.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Besides the obvious leadership qualities, the biggest thing we'll miss with Eddie is what a ballhawk he is. Fitz has some of that in him too though, so we'll see.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
EJ's physical and athletic talent might be matched but the difference in his experience and decision process will be noticeable. You simply cannot SUDDENLY replace a field general with less experience. Minkah will suffice, I would think, given his experience as a true sophomore. He did start as a true freshman so he's obviously knowledgeable and coachable. But there will still be a learning curve. The BIG question is what will that learning curve cost?

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Definitely gonna to miss EJ just from a player standpoint. But I'm thinking we will be more than fine with the talent we have.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
If there is a bright spot after Eddie's injury, it's that we rotate guys enough that we have guys with a lot of experience who will try to fill the void. While not Eddie these guys would be the starter everywhere else. Not to mention that they will have a leg up on filling the position next year when Eddie will be gone to the pro's.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.