Texas still thinks they can get CNS

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Here we go again. CNS will not take that job period. His entire family and new baby grandchild live in this area. Why would he want to try and rebuild that mess in that pitiful conference?

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Why would they want Coach? He's getting old. The game is passing him by, and he's bound to retire soon --

Isn't that what they keep telling recruits in Texas?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I had this conversation in 2011 and AGAIN in 2013. Save it for your Shorthorn friends.

Texas Nutbag: We're going after Saban, and he's coming because we can pay him more than y'all can.

Me: Well, that's true in the abstract. But answer me this question: what amount of money that you WILL ACTUALLY PAY HIM can Alabama not match? You see, if you're going to say you have more money than Alabama that's one thing. But you and I both know you're not going to pay Saban $100 million per year.

So I ask again - what amount of money that you will actually pay him can we not match? $8 million per year? 9? 10? 12?

TNB: But Saban is a mercenary, he builds these programs but he doesn't stay.

Me: Then why would it make any difference that you can pay him more than we can (but only if you're in a ridiculous range that will never happen)?

=======================

The funny thing is how many people who live right here just in the Dallas metro area actually think they know what Saban would do. They've never even met the guy, and they're convinced they know what he would do in what given circumstance.

I had no idea what Saban would do in 2011 or 2013, but I feel safe in betting the mortgage that he would tell them publicly to go to hell right now, especially with our team being unbeaten and number one.

Crimson57s

1st Team
Aug 18, 2012
A couple of years ago, CNS said, "I'm too old to go somewhere else and start all over." Like the rest of us, he hasn't gotten any younger.

I think he has concluded the biggest challenge he can face is not to go somewhere and build up a program, it's to stay somewhere and maintain a standard of excellence over the long term.

The contention that the Longhorns are the most coveted program in college football almost made me spit out my coffee.

Perhaps they will pry Harbaugh away from Michigan. That should prove entertaining.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
For those of you who want to see what it's like to live through it firsthand - and all the insane Texas arrogance you've ever known -

click me

And then remember that Mack Brown was their THIRD CHOICE in 1997.

The Monday timetable is significant, the source said, because Texas officials plan to initiate contact with Northwestern coach Gary Barnett that day to gauge his interest in succeeding Mackovic, who has fashioned a 12-13 mark over his past 25 games. The source said Barnett has agreed to listen to Texas' pitch and make a decision within two or three days about a possible move.

That information is consistent with the understanding of a source with ties to Barnett, who summarized the Texas situation this way: "It's pretty much Gary's job to turn down. He may turn it down, but I don't think so."

Their second choice was Butch Davis.

Oh and btw - why aren't they so high on former 'coach in waiting' Will Muschamp anymore?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Here's one for you from the article:

All well and good. But this is Texas. Nobody in college football has more money. No job in college football is more coveted.

Me: then why the hell do you always settle for your third, fourth, or fifth choice if everybody actually wants to come to Texas?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Updated response: He's currently the longest-tenured head football coach in the SEC!
TNB: "Yeah, and the SEC is a meat grinder; if he came here, he could win six more national championships in two years and leave Bear Bryant in the dust!!"

(Note: I don't call the man 'Bear,' but a TNB would - believe me).

You really can't win with these folks.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
A few years ago, yes, I think CNS was considering it until he realized the whole landscape that he would have to be dealing with in regard to all the booster meddling...similar to AU. Now, I don't think there's anyway he's even thinking about it. Texas is a dumpster fire.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.