Can someone explain me what 1A, 2A,...7A classifications mean ?

Bama in Quebec

1st Team
Aug 10, 2013
Quebec city
I'm sorry guys for my ignorance but what makes a high school plays in a specific level of competition (1A instead of 7A for instance) ? The number of students in the school ? The number of people in the city ? The number of years that the high school has a football program ? I understand that 7A is better than 1A ? Any information to help me to understand will be greatly appreciated !

In the province of Quebec, we have a very simple way of classification. It's either Division 1, Division 2 or Division 3 !!!! The best high schools play in Division 1.

Thank you in advance for your answers !

ChattTide

All-SEC
Jul 20, 2000
Memphis, TN
I'm sorry guys for my ignorance but what makes a high school plays in a specific level of competition (1A instead of 7A for instance) ? The number of students in the school ? The number of people in the city ? The number of years that the high school has a football program ? I understand that 7A is better than 1A ? Any information to help me to understand will be greatly appreciated !

In the province of Quebec, we have a very simple way of classification. It's either Division 1, Division 2 or Division 3 !!!! The best high schools play in Division 1.

Thank you in advance for your answers !
Most states operate about the same way. It is the number of students in a school usually that determines classification. Usually your bigger cities, or suburbs of bigger cities, are going to have your higher classification due to more kids being around.

Now private school is a whole other matter, especially here in TN. Let's just say there are a boatload of state championships...

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

Ratal

3rd Team
Aug 29, 2006
Kentucky goes by attendence. Each sport is classified based on how many boys or girls attend the school, depending on the sport. Public and private schools share classifications. There was a push to segregate them a few years ago since they can recruit players. Sadly, there are a lot of people in power that went to private schools that shot down the proposal.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Kentucky goes by attendence. Each sport is classified based on how many boys or girls attend the school, depending on the sport. Public and private schools share classifications. There was a push to segregate them a few years ago since they can recruit players. Sadly, there are a lot of people in power that went to private schools that shot down the proposal.
Plenty of public schools recruit as well. Plenty use players that aren't in their zone. Plenty of private schools don't recruit either.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I live in Alabama now, but California HS sports classification system is generally based on school population as well. There are five division, with Division 1 being the largest populated schools and Division 5 being the smallest populated schools. Now, there is also a rule that has an interesting twist that deals with highly successful sports teams within a specific classification. If a school in a lower division is deemed to be dominating its classification at the state level (i.e., they win too many state championships), that specific sports team for that school is moved up to the next classification. If they continue to dominate the higher classification, that team is again moved up to a higher classification. This continues until (A) that sports team is no longer dominant and/or (B) there are no more classifications for that team to moved into. The prominent example of this in California is McFarland High School. They are normally classified as a Division 3 or 4 school due to its small population. However, their cross country program (boys and girls) have been so dominant in those divisions that they now compete in Division 1 against schools 3, 4, 5 times their size. I do believe that they are in Division 1 for cross country this year.

Again, it's an interesting twist. I actually think it's a good idea for the most part.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
And class 7A was only relatively recently created, what, 2011/12?
13/14 I think. Those schools are like small colleges. Actually bigger than some small colleges. One grade in a 7A school is equal to multiple 1A school's K-12 enrollment.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
TiderMan is correct except he left one last thing out of the mix, 9th grade holdbacks are also counted at least here in Alabama that is the way they are counted. Other states have different ways to classifying their schools but whatever the "highest number" generally is in that state means they are the bigger schools.

And CoachJeff is right, both schools public and private down here recruit heavily even though it is not supposed to happen on the public side and if caught the player is ineligible.

Last edited:

Bama in Quebec

1st Team
Aug 10, 2013
Quebec city
I live in Alabama now, but California HS sports classification system is generally based on school population as well. There are five division, with Division 1 being the largest populated schools and Division 5 being the smallest populated schools. Now, there is also a rule that has an interesting twist that deals with highly successful sports teams within a specific classification. If a school in a lower division is deemed to be dominating its classification at the state level (i.e., they win too many state championships), that specific sports team for that school is moved up to the next classification. If they continue to dominate the higher classification, that team is again moved up to a higher classification. This continues until (A) that sports team is no longer dominant and/or (B) there are no more classifications for that team to moved into. The prominent example of this in California is McFarland High School. They are normally classified as a Division 3 or 4 school due to its small population. However, their cross country program (boys and girls) have been so dominant in those divisions that they now compete in Division 1 against schools 3, 4, 5 times their size. I do believe that they are in Division 1 for cross country this year.

Again, it's an interesting twist. I actually think it's a good idea for the most part.
That is exactly how it works in Quebec. The new program (football, volleyball, basketball, cross-country, etc.) will start in division 3 and if after a few years they win too many province championships, that specific sport will move up to the next classification (Division 2).

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

District 6
Allen: 4855

Denton Guyer: 2285

McKinney: 2074

McKinney Boyd: 3043

Plano: 2700

Plano East: 3000

Plano West: 2675

Wylie: 2312

Now you see why everyone hates us!

(Some of those figures may be a year or so old. Doesn't matter: Allen dwarfs all of them.)

Edit: also why Hoover didn't stand a chance! Folks back in Alabama think Hoover has a band that is too big (around 325), but ours is over 800.

Last edited:

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I'm not sure what it is like in Canada, but there is a really wide range in Alabama. A 1A school will have at most 150 students as compared to 7A, which TiderJ correctly says is, well, relatively huge. I think there are +/- 30 schools in the 7A category; the others have about 60 schools each (they try to keep it apportioned). I believe they redo it every couple of years to try to account for student population shifts.

But some of the 1A schools are really small, with populations at 50 or even less -- basically just about every boy in the school plays football so they can have a team. And most of them play at least one other sport, baseball, basketball, track, etc.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I'm not sure what it is like in Canada, but there is a really wide range in Alabama. A 1A school will have at most 150 students as compared to 7A, which TiderJ correctly says is, well, relatively huge. I think there are +/- 30 schools in the 7A category; the others have about 60 schools each (they try to keep it apportioned). I believe they redo it every couple of years to try to account for student population shifts.

But some of the 1A schools are really small, with populations at 50 or even less -- basically just about every boy in the school plays football so they can have a team. And most of them play at least one other sport, baseball, basketball, track, etc.
7A = 32 schools and you are right they re-evaluate for population shifts but it may be done annually.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
TiderMan is correct except he left one last thing out of the mix, 9th grade holdbacks are also counted at least here in Alabama that is the way they are counted. Other states have different ways to classifying their schools but whatever the "highest number" generally is in that state means they are the bigger schools.

And CoachJeff is right, both schools public and private down here recruit heavily even though it is not supposed to happen on the public side and if caught the player is ineligible.
Housing in their area has been arranged behind the scenes so that a soon to be star finds himself suddenly living in a football hotspot. Mom or Pop are offered a decent job, behind the scenes... Amazing how things can work out for a player who may have the 'Right Stuff'.
Yep... Cheating at it's best, but can anyone really prove it? That's as far as most highschool investigations go. It's like a guys Dad quietly going to work at Goodyear or Firestone. Suddenly there is gonna be extra money to buy Jr. a new car. Cheating? Can you prove it?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.