Game Thread: Barn vs. Ole Miss

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
If Hugh Freeze would be just a little bit more conservative when it comes to going for it on 4th downs, they might have faired better in the game. I didn't watch much of the game, but when I did, Freeze electing to go for it on 4th down when Ole Miss was close was crazy. Just kick the field goal and get some points out of it. He did that against us a few years ago and it backfired on him as well.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Sorry to interrupt. Do we have a TV time for the IB yet?
Here are the games that day:

Alabama-Auburn
Ark-Mizzou
Florida at FSU
UGA-Ga Tech
Kentucky-Louisville
Ole Miss-Miss St
Clemson-SCAR
Tenn-Vandy

I don't even know who has the rights to the UGA and FL games, but I know this: given the fact Alabama won't have MORE than one loss (and hopefully none) entering the game and neither will Auburn (barring something unusual)......you can bet the farm on a 230p kickoff on CBS.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I am hoping for CBS 2:30. au needs to get that slot at least once this year.
Nah.

I'm glad we dodged it most of the year. Would have missed a lot more than I did due to my middle daughter's soccer season. Always at least two, sometimes three every Saturday. Now that we've wrapped that up I'm all for it.

We'll probably be one of the teams in the CBS doubleheader for the DSOR.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Nah.

I'm glad we dodged it most of the year. Would have missed a lot more than I did due to my middle daughter's soccer season. Always at least two, sometimes three every Saturday. Now that we've wrapped that up I'm all for it.

We'll probably be one of the teams in the CBS doubleheader for the DSOR.
It's funny how that works, isn't it?

I recall back in the late 90s how it was better for me when we had the JP game (which is what I will ALWAYS call it even though I still remember the WTBS days of Bob Neal and Tim Foley). I used to arrive at Applebee's right around 1130 and get the same thing and watch the first half, drive home during halftime and see the rest of the game.

What really stunk was 7 pm Saturday night back in the day.

Now, I hate the 11am game. I like the 7pm game because if I work a 12-hour shift on Saturday, I'm still home for the kickoff.

Personally, though, I think federal law should mandate the Iron Bowl must be played at 230pm on that particular Saturday. (I'm only slightly kidding). It just fits.

(For those who don't know, the game has been played on Saturday at 230pm in 1981-82-83-85-86-89-90-91-94-00-01-02-04-05-06-08-11-12-13-15. That's 20 times in 35 years.

It was played on Thanksgiving Day in the late morning/early afternoon in 1992; it was played on Friday at 130 in 1987 and 1988 and at 230 in 2009 and 2010.

And it's been on Saturday night in 1995-96-97-98-99-03-07-14.

It actually kicked off at 1130 am in 1984 - and Al Michaels did the game with Lee Grosscup.

And it wasn't shown on TV in 1993 because of the TV ban on Auburn that year - although I have a copy of the telecast with a Jim Fyffe overlay).

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
You can argue they've gotten better, but you also have to admit they didn't convincingly beat the same Ole Miss team Alabama did.

And Arkansas was coming off an 8 game stretch when Auburn beat them.

Yes, they've gotten better, but they've also benefited with great timing with their schedule.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Absolutely, had they played OM the same Saturday we did they would have lost. Not sure if Arkansas would have beaten them earlier in the season, but it would not have been 56-3. Yes, auburn has improved dramatically since mid-September. The IB is not going to be a walkover like everyone seems to think. Hope the IB does not come down a FG shootout.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Absolutely, had they played OM the same Saturday we did they would have lost. Not sure if Arkansas would have beaten them earlier in the season, but it would not have been 56-3. Yes, auburn has improved dramatically since mid-September. The IB is not going to be a walkover like everyone seems to think. Hope the IB does not come down a FG shootout.
Auburn had something of a grinder to start the year. Clemson at home then a breather and then back to back with ATM and LSU. Remember, they nearly beat Clemson but they also could just as easily (and probably should have) lost to LSU. So they're right where they should be.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.