Question: What to do on a game day in Baton Rouge?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I've never been to LSU, or Baton Rouge for that matter, before. My plan is to stay in Biloxi on Friday and get to Baton Rouge 3-4 hours before kickoff. I was wondering if there are absolute must do things there before kickoff, and if so what are they?

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
When in Rome, or Red Stick... wear weird clothing and drink heavily.

Last edited:

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
I've never been to LSU, or Baton Rouge for that matter, before. My plan is to stay in Biloxi on Friday and get to Baton Rouge 3-4 hours before kickoff. I was wondering if there are absolute must do things there before kickoff, and if so what are they?
one of the biggest myths around is that LSU fans, collectively, are rude to opposing fans on game day. There are pockets of idiots, of course, but the overwhelming majority of true LSU fans who spend their game day tailgating are welcoming people who will treat opponent's fans amicably. Walk around, visit the locals who are not college aged kids or very recent graduates. Walk the parade grounds and see the sights.

Our version of the players walking into the stadium is a cool thing to witness, but what's better is watching the band follow them about 15 min after. The band stops and plays pre-game and it's a fun atmosphere.

Getting there 3 hours before kickoff will be maddening for parking, FYI.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
http://www.sammysgrill.com/our-menus.html

I'd leave Biloxi earlier and try to get to Baton Rouge by lunchtime -- find a place to eat, and then head to the stadium area. Parking does suck....

Sammy's is a great place to eat....it's a heavy LSU-fan hangout place....so, keep that in mind.....but (to me) the food is consistent and excellent.....if you want a taste of Cajun/New Orleans -- (it's a nice blend of the two). It's on Highland -- so you are only about a mile or so from Campus....

As you go west on I-10 -- make sure you go to I-12 -- toward Baton Rouge (and not stay on I-10 through New Orleans)....Once in Baton Rouge, get back on I-10 East - exit at Bluebonnet ..... take that to Highland -- and let your GPS direct you from there (I think it's a right, onto Highland, but not sure).....

The grilled shrimp po-boy is pretty impressive....

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I was in BR for the OM-LSU game a couple of weeks ago, had an absolute blast. Wore my full on Bama gear but only had a few joking comments followed by handshakes / claps on the back. Awesome fan base, literally heard not one cross word the entire day (we arrived at 11 AM for the 8:15 PM kickoff). Amazing fans, lots offering food and drink. And you'll see some LEGIT tailgates as well - they take it very seriously.

Tailgating is spread out all over the place and they start early - if you get there mid afternoon you'll have to walk forever to get to the stadium. We parked in the free parking on the southwest side of the stadium - about 1/2 mile away - and from the time the game ended until we were in the truck and past all the traffic was maybe 45 minutes. Really easy.

I'd go back to BR for a game in a heartbeat - it's a perfect example of what college football is all about. Great people, great atmosphere, great food, great stadium!

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
http://www.sammysgrill.com/our-menus.html

I'd leave Biloxi earlier and try to get to Baton Rouge by lunchtime -- find a place to eat, and then head to the stadium area. Parking does suck....

Sammy's is a great place to eat....it's a heavy LSU-fan hangout place....so, keep that in mind.....but (to me) the food is consistent and excellent.....if you want a taste of Cajun/New Orleans -- (it's a nice blend of the two). It's on Highland -- so you are only about a mile or so from Campus....

As you go west on I-10 -- make sure you go to I-12 -- toward Baton Rouge (and not stay on I-10 through New Orleans)....Once in Baton Rouge, get back on I-10 East - exit at Bluebonnet ..... take that to Highland -- and let your GPS direct you from there (I think it's a right, onto Highland, but not sure).....

The grilled shrimp po-boy is pretty impressive....
Sammy's sells food...? :eek2:

RTRinBR

3rd Team
Jan 27, 2003
Baton Rouge, LA USA
You are in for a treat. I have lived in BTR area for decades and haven't missed this game since I was 12. Be prepared for a TON of "Tiger Bait", it gets old but most will not be obnoxious with it. Like others have said, the locals are generally friendly and very welcoming. Bring your appetite. All you have to do is engage in friendly conversation with those who give you a "tiger bait" and they will likely start feeding you and filling your glass. If they don't move on to the next because they will. Make sure to bring your sun glasses, the sites are the same as across the rest of the south...beautiful! Don't want your eyes to be caught lingering.

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX
Be prepared for a TON of "Tiger Bait", it gets old but most will not be obnoxious with it.
You can pretty well stop that by holding up 5 fingers. Hard for L5U fans to Tiger Bait you when we have 5 wins and counting on them.

I would try to get to BR by lunch even though it is a late kick-off. Parking is going to be a pain but I would bet coming from the Sip, traffic in from that direction might not be terrible. I actually try to catch the Bama pep-rally downtown and then catch a ride on the bus to the stadium. Once there, you can roam around and mingle around the cooking trailers with the Corndogs and that is cool but a little awkward unless you really know someone. The really awesome thing you need to watch is the team and the band coming in to the stadium. Probably about the coolest game day experience in the SEC.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I lived in Baton Rouge when I was a kid.
It would be easy to brand all LSU Fans as Crazy Corn dogs or drunken trouble makers. BUT NO... The majority of LSU fans are pretty much like we are.

Lots of great food. Many tailgaters will invite you to join them. I would expect them to rag you a little, but if you don't go off on them, they treat you well.
Consider we all love college football... Smash mouth physical football. Combine that with friendship, great food, and maybe a little Kickapoo Joy Juice... and you have a good time.

Now a few word of warning... If you see folks who seem to be mean drunks...
Pass on joining them. They want get any better. (Same as here)

Last edited:

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
I'm going to the game as well, hoping to join in on some good tailgating. There aren't any large tailgates where you can pay your way in, are there? I'm not used to southern hospitality, would feel awkward wandering around hoping to get invited in.

RTRinBR

3rd Team
Jan 27, 2003
Baton Rouge, LA USA
I'm going to the game as well, hoping to join in on some good tailgating. There aren't any large tailgates where you can pay your way in, are there? I'm not used to southern hospitality, would feel awkward wandering around hoping to get invited in.
I have never seen a tailgate that was "commercial". All the Louisiana businesses that entertain will have a tailgate. Verizon will have a big tailgate if you are a business customer. Anyone who does anything in the petrochemical industry will have tailgates. One of my tailgates this weekend is our company's law firm. Not sure about your situation but if you have any business relationships with companies in southeast LA, might be worth making a phone call.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
Those places are called bars.

Drewy26

1st Team
Aug 16, 2008
Montgomery, AL

The Alabama National Almuni Association sponsors a tailgate that starts 3 hours before the game. It's $35 per adult to get in and that includes food (usually not really good food) and cash bar. For us it's something we consider when we have run out of other options, as at least there will be a clean bathroom and other Alabama fans there.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/tailgatin-with-the-tide-at-lsu-tickets-27048775616

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.