2016 CFP Rankings #1 Released

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
That's a good part of it. However, their model is hardly assigning invincibility to Alabama -- the model gives Bama only a 61% chance of beating LSU. The other issues that are keeping Florida's % low are (1) it already has one loss and (2) still has to play Florida State.

Out of curiosity, I went through and individually selected the "Win Out" scenario for each team in the FiveThirtyEight model to see how it would affect chances to make the playoff. Here's what I found:

Controls Own Destiny
Alabama >99%
Clemson >99%
Michigan >99%
Washington >99%
Ohio State 99%

Likely but May Need Help
Florida 89%
Nebraska 89%
Wisconsin 74%
LSU 67%
Auburn 67%
Texas A&M 62%

Unlikely Even if Undefeated Remainder of Season
Louisville 64%
Baylor 48%
Oklahoma 32%
No team is going to have 100% chance to win out unless they play a bunch of FCS schools. What B1G is saying, the other teams have lower percentages because they have to face Alabama (or most likely will in Florida's case) while Alabama doesn't play Alabama.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
That is because Alabama is considered to be almost unbeatable. While every other team in the hunt has an easier road to the playoff than Alabama, none of those teams is Alabama.
That and if Bama is not the SECw champs, then UF has little chance to beat LSU twice, or Awbarn, or Tamoo. Basically, the SECw champ will win the SECCG. West is best, East is least!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I won't go so far as to say that the Giants were overall better BUT....

1) In week 16 of the 2007 regular season, the Giants gave the Pats all they could handle and nearly beat them (the final was 38-35 and the Giants led entering the fourth quarter). While I know the records weren't even close, the gap in the NFL is much smaller.

2) You did know the Giants were actually favored in 46, right? (I say this because I used the same argument on my brother, and he face planted me with that - I don't bet so I didn't know).
1) That was the beginning of the Giants surge - when they became hot. Before that game the Giants were a very average football team and only made the playoffs because of their division. The Pats were undefeated until the Super Bowl. The Giants got hot at the right time while the Pats started to fade (peaked too soon).

2) The Giants being favored reflects the number of betters and the amount of money that those people bet, not the relative ability of the teams. The NY Giants have the most wealthy fan base in the country, and it isn't close. Add the sports wagering culture in the NY metro area and this is what you get. When the Giants are winning - well, lines are based on the money, not the teams on the field.

DC Tide

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
No team is going to have 100% chance to win out unless they play a bunch of FCS schools. What B1G is saying, the other teams have lower percentages because they have to face Alabama (or most likely will in Florida's case) while Alabama doesn't play Alabama.
Yep, I got what he was saying.

The percentages I was showing were each team's chances of making the playoffs if each team won the rest of their games. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
1) That was the beginning of the Giants surge - when they became hot. Before that game the Giants were a very average football team and only made the playoffs because of their division. The Pats were undefeated until the Super Bowl. The Giants got hot at the right time while the Pats started to fade (peaked too soon).

2) The Giants being favored reflects the number of betters and the amount of money that those people bet, not the relative ability of the teams. The NY Giants have the most wealthy fan base in the country, and it isn't close. Add the sports wagering culture in the NY metro area and this is what you get. When the Giants are winning - well, lines are based on the money, not the teams on the field.
The Giants were a 2.5 dog in 2011. They were more picked by fans and analysts than the pats, but they weren't favored by Vegas.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Those numbers seem about right regarding percentages.

The biggest takeaway for me is that Washington probably needs to go undefeated to make it, at least without help and that Bama is probably a lock even if they drop one.

Big XII is also totally done unless Oklahoma wins out impressively and there is LOTS of "chaos" at the top. Committee clearly doesn't have a ton of respect for West Virginia or Baylor.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Agreed on all points.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
My God, thank you Selma, for removing the scales from my eyes. I have been the naive one who couldn't see through the complex machinations of our NCAA football oligarchs. But now that you've revealed it to me, I see the truth of the corporate masterminds manipulating my ovine simplicity. My God, and look how clever they are! Not only did they create a can't miss match-up by naming Bama #4 (who, after all, would watch a pointless affair between #2 and #5), but to conceal their plot, they actually put each team into the ranking most deserved! Oh what deviant architects of duplicity! They at once realized their evil scheme AND hid all the evidence of their malfeasance! The plot is so deviously evil it's literally undetectable!! What evil geniuses!!! :wink:
You're welcome.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Those numbers seem about right regarding percentages.

The biggest takeaway for me is that Washington probably needs to go undefeated to make it, at least without help and that Bama is probably a lock even if they drop one.

Big XII is also totally done unless Oklahoma wins out impressively and there is LOTS of "chaos" at the top. Committee clearly doesn't have a ton of respect for West Virginia or Baylor.
The problem with writing off Washington if they lose is to whom they lose to. Let's say they lose to WSU who will probably be in the top 15. Washington would then have a makeup game against a top 10 Colorado or Utah the next week to make it up. Again a lot seems to happen outside the top 8 in the weekly CFP rankings, and I guarantee you when LSU, Auburn, and UF start losing in these final 5 weeks they all will make way for the PAC 12 and ACC teams to be used as justification pieces. I would say the rankings favor Washington tremendously more than they favor aTm because the SEC in the top 13 have a lot of losses still on the board compared to the 12-25 PAC 12 teams. And Washington playing on the last week of football against a top 10 team helps them way more than an aTm team sitting at home.

Now if Washington loses in the championship or to asu or cal then that all changes.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The Giants were a 2.5 dog in 2011. They were more picked by fans and analysts than the pats, but they weren't favored by Vegas.
That is how much better the Pats were. All of the NYC money was on the Giants, but it still wasn't enough to swing the line in their favor. Still, the Giants won the game - somehow.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Still, the Giants won the game - somehow.
Two words... Wes Welker.

I would say Gronk being hurt also had something to do with, but Welker always had the habit of going cold in key situations. I tried to tell my Broncos buddy that but he wouldn't listen

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Two words... Wes Welker.

I would say Gronk being hurt also had something to do with, but Welker always had the habit of going cold in key situations. I tried to tell my Broncos buddy that but he wouldn't listen
Also, in both playoff runs Eli played like Peyton.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Also, in both playoff runs Eli played like Peyton.

Make that "reg season Peyton" 😊. Even in both of his SB wins he played avg or worse and had almost nothing to do with his teams' victory. In 3 of his SB wins Brady led late game winning drives and did so in the first loss to the NYG, Eli just trumped him getting the ball essentially last.

It's ironic how Peyton was great reg season but mediocre at best in the playoffs, while Eli is just good reg season but great in the playoffs and at crunch time. They were both the same way in college.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Btw - further proof of what a total farce these rankings are and DRIVEN BY NAME RECOGNITION:

Oklahoma is ranked 14th and has two losses.

WVA is ranked 20th and has ONE loss.

Sagarin tells us OU has played the #22 ranked schedule this year, WVA the #31 (not exactly a substantial difference).

The teams WVA played (and I didn't even count Youngstown St because they're not FBS) have an overall record of 25-23 (.520)
The teams OU played teams with an overall record of 33-30 (.523)

They've played THREE common opponents at this point:
OU survived Texas Tech by seven and TCU by six - and pulverized K-State
WVA thumped BOTH Tech and TCU (by 24 and 31) and slipped by K-State by one.

So what's the argument? "Oh, but Oklahoma played better teams than WVA."

Yes and they LOST TO THEM BY DOUBLE DIGITS!!!! Indeed, the ENTIRE difference in their schedule is that OU played AND GOT KILLED by Ohio State. It's not like OU lost a triple overtime thriller to the Buckeyes....and the game was in Norman, too.

Over and over again, we have this same farce. I'm NOT saying WVA is better than OU because I doubt that. But that's not the line of bull we're being fed right now. No, we're being told this garbage about how Team X has done more than Team Y.

Can any of you SERIOUSLY look at the two resumes and say OU has done ANY better than WVA at this point in time?

They have more losses.
WVA has beaten two of the three common opponents by substantially larger margins.
The entirety of 'but OU played a tougher schedule' is based on games they lost and were dominated by those teams.

But it's simple: OU is a draw and WVA is not. And that's what this committee was all about.

And btw - if your counter argument is that it doesn't matter now.....then why even have a ranking right now since it doesn't matter?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.