Jim Delaney Announces B1G to Start Having Friday Night Games

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I understand why (for example) Harvard might play on Friday night (esp if someone will broadcast it nationally a la ESPN).

I REALLY understand why the Pac 12 shows Thursday night games because so many folks back East head to bed when the Pac 12 game is on.

Why does the Big Ten think the need to do this?
My very thought: Friday night is B12 and PAC 12 night simply because they can't compete on Saturday for viewers. Now the B1G wants a piece of the Friday night crowd. Hmmmmm.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
First, the overall B1G product is pretty dull with the exception of UM, tOSU, Wisconsin and occasionally Nebraska. I might watch UM vs Nebraska on a Friday night, but am not going to watch The Rutgers University vs The Northwestern University on Friday night or any other time. IMO this is a bad move by the B1G and here's hoping they and ESPN lose their shirt on this deal. Can you imagine racing home on Friday afternoon after a hard week at work to watch The University of Maryland take on The University of Minnesota. No thanks, I'll stick with Hawaii 50 and reruns.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I did not read that they refused to play on Friday Night. They will just play 1 away game on Friday night. That to me is not a great deal of flexing.
I believe PSU said they would not play a Friday night HOME game - they're basically saying, "We'll go on the road to Indiana, Purdue, or Illinois for TV, but we're not doing it here in Happy Valley."

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I was wondering if you had commented on this. Why are they really doing it? Is it like I said and it's money or what?
The B1G network is struggling this year, so yeah, it is about the $$$. It shows you that the conferences really don't care about gate attendance anymore. Friday games are impossible on fans because of the travel involved and the conflict of interest (HS football is HUGE in Ohio).

And forget doing this on Ohio State's campus on a Friday night. There would be no way that the city could handle the traffic.

yeah, thanks. So this is very foolish of them.
The B1G network is struggling this year, so yeah, it is about the $$$. It shows you that the conferences really don't care about gate attendance anymore. Friday games are impossible on fans because of the travel involved and the conflict of interest (HS football is HUGE in Ohio).

And forget doing this on Ohio State's campus on a Friday night. There would be no way that the city could handle the traffic.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Somewhat surprising. Penn State issued this statement:

Dang, I have to give Penn State some credit for something they did that was actually good for the game.

Friday night is for the high school kids. Let them have their night in the spotlight.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Dang, I have to give Penn State some credit for something they did that was actually good for the game.

Friday night is for the high school kids. Let them have their night in the spotlight.
The irony is that in this area of PA, high schools sometimes play football on Saturday night. Why can't these Yankees get their act together? Don't they know that Saturday is the holy day of college football?

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
The irony is that in this area of PA, high schools sometimes play football on Saturday night. Why can't these Yankees get their act together? Don't they know that Saturday is the holy day of college football?

When I lived up there, some games were played on Saturday morning. The reason was to prevent the potential for violence, for some rivalries, that had a history of that sort of nonsense.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
From what I've seen basically every single B1G coach is against this and not happy about it. All complaining it's bad for recruiting.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
From what I've seen basically every single B1G coach is against this and not happy about it. All complaining it's bad for recruiting.
That's the coaches' (and recruits) side of it.

Now, think about the fans. Are they going to go watch their college team or support the local high school? It can also financially hurt the high schools and towns.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.